IGNORED

"Possible" Mission

bcprs1

Good question. It would be great to see these more commonly available.

Just 2 days ago, I opened up my Impossible Mission cart and replaced the rom with an eprom of the fixed version. I've always avoided playing the game since it couldn't be completed, but now I'll have to spend some time with it. :)

It takes a little bit of rework, but I was able to keep it very simple, clean, and neat inside there. I took some pictures of the process. If others are interested, I could post them.

• 3 weeks later...

Been playing this game a lot lately. Still haven't been able to beat it. Today I had my best game ever and I "think" I got all the puzzle pieces with about 30 minutes left to assemble them. I ran out of time, but I got 3 parts of the password. The only place I didn't check was the very top right floor of the screen below. I was thinking there wasn't a puzzle piece there anyway, but I could be mistaken.

post-9364-0-66793000-1358106680_thumb.png

(screenshot from the C64 version found on web)

I also tried making the player's idle stance look a little more like the C64 version. I'm not sure if I like it. Try it out and let me know what you think:

post-9364-0-68540000-1358106605_thumb.png post-9364-0-99314200-1358106604_thumb.png

Impossible Mission (Stance Edit).a78

Suggestions also welcome.

• Like 2

Been playing this game a lot lately. Still haven't been able to beat it. Today I had my best game ever and I "think" I got all the puzzle pieces with about 30 minutes left to assemble them. I ran out of time, but I got 3 parts of the password. The only place I didn't check was the very top right floor of the screen below. I was thinking there wasn't a puzzle piece there anyway, but I could be mistaken.

post-9364-0-66793000-1358106680_thumb.png

(screenshot from the C64 version found on web)

I also tried making the player's idle stance look a little more like the C64 version. I'm not sure if I like it. Try it out and let me know what you think:

post-9364-0-68540000-1358106605_thumb.png post-9364-0-99314200-1358106604_thumb.png

Impossible Mission (Stance Edit).a78

Suggestions also welcome.

Hey Kevin, you read my mind! :)

Even I, a few months ago, I redesigned the static position of the player. I colored the legs of gray to highlight less the low resolution. Is necessary maintain the same width of the sprite original 7800?

In addition to the C64 version, for fun, I also designed the Atari ST version and the Sega Master System version :)

impmisscomparescreen.png

impmisscompareplayer.png

...Is necessary maintain the same width of the sprite original 7800?

I didn't check to see if the sprite could be wider. However, I kept it 5 pixels wide because I didn't want to interfere with how the player's feet appear to be positioned when on ledges.

In addition to the C64 version, for fun, I also designed the Atari ST version and the Sega Master System version :)

Those are very nice.

Also, I noticed ppl have downloaded the screenshots, but no one has yet downloaded the ROM. Maybe it hasn't been noticed? If that's the case, check my last post above for the edited ROM. :)

I didn't check to see if the sprite could be wider. However, I kept it 5 pixels wide because I didn't want to interfere with how the player's feet appear to be positioned when on ledges.

... if I'm not mistaken, I have added only 1 pixel front, so it protrudes only the knee as in the other versions:

impmisscompare2.png

I have not tried the edited ROM, because right now I have an old PC and unfortunately the emulator does not work ...but thanks!

I edited one of the stances you posted (based on the SMS version) to give a smaller butt and larger chest. It seems to work in the game just fine so far. I haven't noticed any problems with it. However, the running animation will need edited as well so that it all fits well together.

Here are 2 screenshots of a trial stance (the 2nd one has the arm shortened; I think it's more proportional):

post-9364-0-51727800-1358126574_thumb.png post-9364-0-77926700-1358126814_thumb.png

You'll notice I swapped some colors so that the boots could be a different color than the pants like in the SMS version. I suppose the pants could be made blue if we really wanted. For now, I'll be happy just getting everything edited and looking good... then I can worry about colors.

That's all for now. I'm out of free time for this weekend (actually spent too much time on this). I have a 4-day weekend coming up though, so maybe I can do more on this then.

Edited by KevinMos3
  • Like 2

Okay, so I couldn't stay away. Had this thought -- since I've switched colors to have boots, why not use the 2nd color to separate the legs?

Red as it is now and Blue as it may be if ppl prefer it.

post-9364-0-15894700-1358132018_thumb.png post-9364-0-06368700-1358132019_thumb.png

I'm really liking this stance. I'll ask a favor though... if someone wouldn't mind helping, I'd sure appreciate it. I could really use a hand working on the running/jumping animations. If anyone would like to work on that, it would sure save time and I can add it to the game next weekend.

Edited by KevinMos3
  • Like 2

Okay, so I couldn't stay away. Had this thought -- since I've switched colors to have boots, why not use the 2nd color to separate the legs?

Red as it is now and Blue as it may be if ppl prefer it.

post-9364-0-15894700-1358132018_thumb.png post-9364-0-06368700-1358132019_thumb.png

I'm really liking this stance. I'll ask a favor though... if someone wouldn't mind helping, I'd sure appreciate it. I could really use a hand working on the running/jumping animations. If anyone would like to work on that, it would sure save time and I can add it to the game next weekend.

Kevin thank you! :)

For the legs, I prefer the color blue.

Now believe me, I would be very happy to help and work on the running / jumping animations of this game.

But I know, from experience, that the animations are a delicate work, patience is required if you want to get a good result and unfortunately my free time is very limited.

I also started working on some projects and I urgency to finish.

The Study of the sprites of the other versions in high resolution can certainly be of help. In any case, seems that the 7800 version is already a good starting point.

I wish you good work (no hurry) and good fun. :)

...can't we just order a custom cartridge sending the rom and label to Albert?

The way I understand it, you sure can. :thumbsup:

Do you need a good quality image for a label? I could make one just like the original, or I could do a custom one with different artwork... say, the new artwork on the remakes for Wii, DS, PSP, etc. :)

Edited by KevinMos3

About the Possible Mission on Atariage store, can't we just order a custom cartridge sending the rom and label to Albert?

I would like to have one.

I don't think so in this case, the possible mission cart requires extra ram I believe so it is not a standard cart

Whoops. Yeah, I didn't think of that. I read the question as whether or not you could legally/morally order a repro or hack from the AA store.

Your best solution would be to have someone burn you an eprom and convert your own Impossible Mission cart yourself, OR just pay someone to convert your Impossible Mission cart. If you don't have IM, pick one up from ebay or the marketplace and have it converted.

Edited by KevinMos3

Here are a couple of labels. I scanned mine and then lined up artwork to match the original, so the stock version should print out pretty darn close to the original depending on the printer.

The custom label just has the Wii artwork instead of the stock artwork.

post-9364-0-42315400-1358230732_thumb.jpg post-9364-0-81617900-1358230230_thumb.jpg

Edited by KevinMos3
  • Like 2

Some of those stances look a lot like Moe Szyslak.

Because I kept the nose. Also reduce the butt is a good idea.

However, I have devoted little time to those stances and still I regard these as drafts.

I wanted to replicate the _posture_ of the original sprite and I think I got this result.

Besides, on 7800 real hardware the sprite will be a bit less wide than the makeup.

And as always, I like the work of Kevin.

Thank you for sharing your opinion.

impmissstancesvs.png

Alright, so here we go:

I reworked all the player sprites. I kinda boxed myself into a corner with that previous stance sprite because the head was just way too big when running. I could find no proportionate size for the head when trying to mimmick the SMS or C64 style heads, so I came up with one that I thought looked best for this pixel ratio. After finishing everything else, the standing sprite seemed to look a bit off. The forward leg was just too long, so I decided to shorten it.

There is also a version with an eye. Some may like it, some may not, so you have a choice.

There are also 3 color variations, BLUE pants, GREEN pants, and the original RED pants (formerly shirt color).

The zip file contains all variations in both a78 and bin formats, so make sure you unzip before you play.

post-9364-0-37463300-1358746899_thumb.png post-9364-0-88336100-1358746899_thumb.png

post-9364-0-54702200-1358746901_thumb.png post-9364-0-43455200-1358746896_thumb.png

post-9364-0-94712100-1358746900_thumb.png post-9364-0-42106400-1358746900_thumb.png

Impossible Mission (New Sprites).zip

NOTE: if anyone has better ideas for the sprites, please feel free to share them and I can add them into the rom. Here are all the left facing sprites:

post-9364-0-13378900-1358748306_thumb.png

Also, if you want to make your own color edits, here are locations for the player using the a78 files. If you want to edit the bins, then subtract 128 bytes from these values:

01C9CF - Player skin (when in elevator shafts)

01FD15 - Player skin (when in rooms)

01E9D6 - Player color 1 (left)

01E9E3 - Player color 1 (right)

01E9E8 - Player color 2/pants (left)

01E9DB - Player color 2/pants (right)

This has also been posted in the 7800 hacks forum, but I wanted to share here since it follows on our conversation.

Edited by KevinMos3
  • Like 1