IGNORED

"Possible" Mission

bcprs1

I made a boo boo. Looks like I forgot to sign the bins. The A78s are signed, but the bins are not. So, if you're going to use it on a Cuttle Cart or eprom, be sure to sign the bin you use... or just use the a78 and strip the header (first 128 bytes)... or just let me know you want one, and I'll re-up.

Finally beat this game on a real 7800. First time ever for me. The ending was a little anti-climactic, but oh well... at least it has one. I think some digitized voice or even some text would have really added a lot. Maybe I should look into adding text overlayed on the win screen. How about a word bubble saying "No...No...NO!"? (edited: Thanks NIKON)

post-9364-0-89539600-1358797228_thumb.png post-9364-0-36732000-1358797228_thumb.png

Thoughts? Better ideas for what he should say? Placement of the bubble? Multiple bubbles?

For the rudimentary anti-aliasing on the text, do you prefer blue, or the orange/red color?

I used to think the game was way too insanely difficult, but I think that was just because I knew it was literally impossible so I never cared to devote the time to figuring it out. Most rooms in the default layout on boot-up are pretty easy to deal with. There are really only a couple of tricky ones and even they aren't too bad once you learn how to deal with them.

Edited by KevinMos3

New WIN screens as seen in post above. (No...No...NO!!!). I went with the text anti-aliasing color of Atombender's skin.

3 Variations: Red pants, Blue pants, Green pants (brown hair & boots)

Impossible Mission (New Win RED).a78

Impossible Mission (New Win BLUE).a78

Impossible Mission (New Win GREEN).a78

I like the smaller fist. I'll include that in the next version.

Here's another WIN screen. Still has bubbles, but different font and message "Launch Aborted" displayed.

post-9364-0-84022500-1358809693_thumb.png post-9364-0-16887500-1358811598_thumb.png post-9364-0-80552500-1358811598_thumb.png post-9364-0-31536000-1358812763_thumb.png

Added some alternate font styles.

I'll have to whip up a screen without bubbles including the new ABORTED message to see how it looks.

Edited by KevinMos3

These have the win screen from the 3rd pic in the above post (3 separated bubbles and the "Launch Aborted" message).

Impossible Mission (New Win BLUE).a78

Impossible Mission (New Win RED).a78

Impossible Mission (New Win GREEN).a78

I'm not sure if I like the italic version better, so I used the regular font. If someone wants the italic font, I can do that too.

Edited by KevinMos3

different font and message "Launch Aborted" displayed.

Really nice! :)

Kevin, I like the player with the tuft of hair, but is possible a further version _old style_ without the tuft?

impossiblemission7800pl.png

And, if it's not asking too much, also a version C64 style (with small head), I am nostalgic ...

As always, thanks for your attention.

Here are 4 variations of the Win screen. The 1st is how I currently have it, but I'm considering changing it. Would like some opinions.

Here are my thoughts:

- The "Launch Aborted" message is in keeping with the game's goal (to stop Elvin from launching the missle).

- The "Mission Accomplished" message is what the voice in the C64 version says, but having it displayed on Elvin's screen may seem to say that he accomplished his mission. I like the idea of congratulating the player, but this message seems a little vague to me.

- The italic font for "No" seems to have more emphasis, but is not as clean.

post-9364-0-43496100-1359320255_thumb.png post-9364-0-91858000-1359320255_thumb.png post-9364-0-44559800-1359320256_thumb.png post-9364-0-92373400-1359320254_thumb.png

and one more:

post-9364-0-48137100-1359321158_thumb.png

Defender_2600: I like the player sprite without the extra tuft of hair, but I'm not yet sure which I like better. As for colors, I can post a bookmark for Hex Workshop that has lots of color locations so you can edit them as you like. I think the trial version of Hex Workshop should work fine for you, but I'll check on that.

Edited by KevinMos3

- The "Mission Accomplished" message is what the voice in the C64 version says, but having it displayed on Elvin's screen may seem to say that he accomplished his mission. I like the idea of congratulating the player, but this message seems a little vague to me.

is right, therefore the "Launch Aborted" message is perfect.

- The italic font for "No" seems to have more emphasis, but is not as clean.

I prefer more emphasis.

Defender_2600: I like the player sprite without the extra tuft of hair, but I'm not yet sure which I like better.

If possible, my thought was to keep both versions, a version with the extra tuft of hair and a version without the extra tuft of hair (as you have already done for the variant with an eye).

As for colors, I can post a bookmark for Hex Workshop that has lots of color locations so you can edit them as you like. I think the trial version of Hex Workshop should work fine for you, but I'll check on that.

Hex Workshop works fine for me. Many thanks

I'm not sure I'm happy with the look of the "Launch Aborted" message. I think it should be large enough to stand out since the screen only shows for a few seconds, but maybe it would look better if it were smaller? Maybe it's fine the way it is and I'm being too picky?

@Defender_2600: Do you have any ideas for the look of this message?

Anyone else can chime in too.

I think it should be large enough to stand out since the screen only shows for a few seconds, but maybe it would look better if it were smaller?

Maybe the size may seem a bit intrusive if you use a large diagonal tv ... but the characters are very nice.

I do not know, I'm undecided on this.

impossiblemission7800la.pngimpossiblemission7800la.png

impossiblemission7800la.png

A lot of updates. I've posted them in the hacks forum, but I'll share here as well since it follows the conversation.

There's an updated PDA, elevator, win screen, title screen, and 2 versions of the player. And... I'd just like to say that editing 320 mode graphics is a major pain! Whew! But then again, all 7800 hacking is a major pain. :)

post-9364-0-48020300-1359886724_thumb.png post-9364-0-22717000-1359886726_thumb.png post-9364-0-61785100-1359886723_thumb.png post-9364-0-70005100-1359886726_thumb.png

IM New PDA.a78

IM New PDA (Alt Head).a78

And here's the Hex Workshop bookmark I said I'd post, so that you can easily change most of the colors:

Impossible Mission (a78) Bookmark.zip

• Like 3

There is a thread somewhere here, where a few of us asked about an official fix... The original programmer made some promises to fix and make available, but to date , I dont think that ever happened.

Al was nice enough to put a Possible Mission cart together for me and I'm loving it, though I wished the Evil Otto voice at the beginning and end were in the Atari version.

There is a thread somewhere here, where a few of us asked about an official fix... The original programmer made some promises to fix and make available, but to date , I dont think that ever happened.

Yes, I have resurrected that thread before. Krewat seems to still reply occasionally. I'm hoping we'll see more from him in the future.

*** I played through the game and noticed that the win screen has an error. The top graphic is repeated twice, so it appears on the 2nd row as well. When the top of the screen was just all the same, you couldn't tell, but now that I've put some other stuff up there, it becomes obvious.

The 2nd row has its own graphic, but it's not being used, so apparently there's a pointer wrong somewhere. If someone wouldn't mind helping to track it down, I'd really appreciate it. Here is a screenshot:

post-9364-0-34018700-1359922176_thumb.jpg

You can see the "lights" that I've changed the color of are now in the same position on the 2nd row and the top of the new text container is cut off.

Of course, I could re-size the text so it doesn't cross that row, but since there's an error there, I'd rather have it fixed for good measure anyway.

Just wanted to link to the thread Krewat started. It looks like he last posted just a handful of months ago (October 2012). I hope he's still interested in the official bug-fix and the possibility of added features. I'd sure love to see that. Maybe we could even get some of the sprite edits incorporated into his release. :)

I'm especially interested in the possibility of California Games and added events in the Summer and/or Winter Games.

edit: Forgot to mention that I updated the rom in the hacks forum to compensate for the repeated top row of the win screen.

Edited by KevinMos3

A lot of updates. I've posted them in the hacks forum, but I'll share here as well since it follows the conversation.

There's an updated PDA, elevator, win screen, title screen, and 2 versions of the player. And... I'd just like to say that editing 320 mode graphics is a major pain! Whew! But then again, all 7800 hacking is a major pain. :)

And here's the Hex Workshop bookmark I said I'd post, so that you can easily change most of the colors:

Wow, fantastic updates! I love the new elevator! Thank you. :)

And thanks again for the 2 versions of the player, I really appreciate it.

I still have a doubt about the stance. Perhaps the chest protrudes too far (compared to the abdomen).

If we eliminate one pixel below the chest, the player looks more slender...

One other thing. I do not know if it's possible, but I painted gray (07) the lines black of the hallway (like version C64).

In this way, the hallway seems to have a greater depth, and the animation of the player has more contrast.

In addition, if we use the gray also in the elevator, the boots of the stance are separated from the black horizontal line.

Just my opinion.

Thank you for your attention.

impossiblemission7800ha.png

Just wanted to link to the thread Krewat started. It looks like he last posted just a handful of months ago (October 2012). I hope he's still interested in the official bug-fix and the possibility of added features. I'd sure love to see that.

I will be really happy if it happens. :)

Maybe we could even get some of the sprite edits incorporated into his release. :)

Join forces can bring great results. The new sprites are really cool, it was not easy with the 160 mode.

Amazing, Kevin! Embarrassingly enough, I only tried this graphic enhanced version today...And WOW...I was blown away.

The movement and fluidness of the character resembles more of a 'Flashback' and 'Prince of Persia' hybrid than what use to be in place. Really impressed by how much more natural and detailed the character appears in motion...

BRAVO....Excellent job!

@ Trebor: Thank you very much for the compliments. I'm glad you like it.

@ Defender2600: Thank you for your input. I had played around with that stance quite a bit and considered the chest as you have suggested, but I decided against it for two reasons: I wanted to avoid the appearance of breasts, and I also felt the chest would be too slim in proportion to the thickness of the legs. Also, I assume he works out so he needs some pecs. Removing that pixel places his pecs too high (I know mine aren't that high), and so he may be using a heavy-duty pushup bra. ;) I do think your edit looks really good so I'll consider it, but for now, I'll keep him as-is.

As for the gray lines in the hallway: I'll have to take a look this weekend, but my guess is that the black color is shared elsewhere on the screen, so you may end up with a gray elevator shaft or gray rock separation.