IGNORED

Fallen Angels Demo

DrTypo

"Fallen Angels" is the next game I'm working on. There is no relation with the SF novel and movies.

In the game, humans are fighting scary aliens. In the battle, pilots are stranded on the alien's planet.

You must go find them and rescue them.

This is an early demo. There is just one level. There is still many gameplay elements to add.

In the zip attached there is a .cof file for Skunkboard and BJL.

I didn't test on BJL so tell me if it doesn't work.

You can transform the file to burn on a CD using JiFFI. http://reboot.atari....boot/jiffi.html

Please read the "readme.pdf" included otherwhise you won't understand how to play the game... unless you played the original 8-bit game ;)

(which is not called "Fallen Angels").

fallen_angels_demo.zip

• Like 13

I'm testing on VJ 2.0.2. Sounds is OK, unless you're near a sprite.

I'll try on real hardware later.

BTW it is about twice as fast on VJ as on a real Jaguar.

A couple of thoughts about speed. How are you rendering the landscape bitmap? Seems to be a 2x2 "chunky pixel". Are you using a scaled bitmap object for that or doing it all on the GPU? Using more space for HUD graphics (maybe some at the top too) would also mean less GPU rendering time too.

A couple of thoughts about speed. How are you rendering the landscape bitmap? Seems to be a 2x2 "chunky pixel". Are you using a scaled bitmap object for that or doing it all on the GPU? Using more space for HUD graphics (maybe some at the top too) would also mean less GPU rendering time too.

The screen resolution is 160x200. I'm not using a scaled bitmap, just a slow pixel clock.

I think speed is acceptable for a game like this. It's running at 16.6 fps on a PAL system. Next step is 25 fps and I'm afraid I'd have to cut a huge part of the screen to reach this framerate. Voxel engines are more sensitive to horizontal resolution than vertical resolution.

The screen resolution is 160x200. I'm not using a scaled bitmap, just a slow pixel clock.

I think speed is acceptable for a game like this. It's running at 16.6 fps on a PAL system. Next step is 25 fps and I'm afraid I'd have to cut a huge part of the screen to reach this framerate. Voxel engines are more sensitive to horizontal resolution than vertical resolution.

If you get the OP to scale the voxel bitmap you'll cut GPU writes to RAM by 50% because you only need to render a 160x100 display then. It also means that if you are using the blitter to clear the backbuffer it spends 50% less time on the bus too.

• Like 2

I burned the demo with Jiffi, good, good stuff. ROF was/is one of my top 5 Atari 8-bit games and I'd dreamed of remakes of LucasFilm games on the Jaguar for years, even at times thinking of learning to progam the Jag from scratch to make them myself, more or less a pipe-dream for me though. I'm really glad that a good programmer wants the same thing (at least an ROF update-clone). I'm really excited about this one DrTypo, and am having fun with the demo. Correct me if I'm mistaken, but I think in the original ROF the ship could make steeper banks when turning. I hope we'll be able to fly much faster in the end too, I would go full-throttle through the original ROF, and though it was skipping a lot of frames at 5fps or so, you did get a real sense of speed anyway. In any case I'm loving it so far...oh, my mom says that if the Jaguar can do so much better with the game then the original 8-bit version, that there should be foilage and other stuff on the ground and not just "sand mountains" as she put it...so hop to it! LOL!

Edited by Gunstar

I've completed the demo level. I was hoping for a retro-blast to the mothership, but it's an early demo. I had fun. I don't suppose there are any difficulty options at this time? Anyway, I'm loving it and hope you can go the distance with this one DrTypo! Thanks for even this if that ends up being all, though it wouldn't take much more to have it do everything ROF does...