IGNORED

my MAME console idea ....need feedback

lucifershalo

First,

I must say that I am a cartridge consoles collector

so my "dream" would be to have a MAME console

the ideal would be an original case to house it but as I havent win the lottery, I am planning to put a PC into a case of Colecovision or other maybe....

for controllers I would like to use my X arcade stuff (double joystick and Trackball) but also DB9 plug joystick (if I am correct) like Colecovision, Atari 2600.

Now as I like cartridge console, I would like the same "principal" here:

like maybe an atari 2600 cart with a SD card at the end, it will plug into an empty (not electronic) atari slot , at the bottom of it would be a SD slot to plug it. The rom of the game would be on a Sd, one game (rom) per SD card.

Now what would be ideal, is that when I plug the cart (and the SD card) the game gets loaded immediately....

I am not a programmer or a cant build those things

a friend can but he wants all the technical and programming problems to be "resolved" first....

So I am open to suggestions, ideas, help

thanks

PS Ideally I would to play emulated pinball games the same way

I am not a programmer or a cant build those things

a friend can but he wants all the technical and programming problems to be "resolved" first....

Solving a bunch of problems to get where you want to be is most of the the fun (to me) when you take on a project like this. The rest of the fun is playing it when its all working.

Buy a Raspberry Pi. Make a Linux image on each SD card that auto-plays a specific emulator and specific game. Job's done.

Or perhaps a Linux image on each SD card that auto-plays a front-end for a specific emulator, and this front-end lets you select one game (in a list) that works with that emulator. Seems like that would cut down on the number of SD cards dramatically.

Or perhaps a Linux image on each SD card that auto-plays a front-end for a specific emulator, and this front-end lets you select one game (in a list) that works with that emulator. Seems like that would cut down on the number of SD cards dramatically.

yes, but that is going back to emulation and not being "cartridge" based.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok - console finished.

This worked out quite well... The biggest issue I had was realizing that 'advmame' for debian linux treats the miniPAC keyboard as a *completely separate keyboard*. I.e. your 'regular' keyboard is keyboard 1, and the miniPAC is keyboard 2 and must be assigned as such. (i.e. if advmame is set to use keyboard 1 'esc' and you hit 'esc' on keyboard 2 it won't register.) :roll:

Anyway, I'm going to create another SD card for stella, and a third for the atari800 emulator (in 5200 mode). The joystick ports are for standard atari 2600 joysticks, and I replaced the 'irda' port in the middle with one of the USB ports.

Pics:

post-1787-0-30572900-1359164305_thumb.jpg

post-1787-0-29460000-1359164308_thumb.jpg

post-1787-0-04070700-1359164311_thumb.jpg

post-1787-0-65849100-1359164313_thumb.jpg

post-1787-0-32805000-1359164316_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Will the Pi not read an 8GB or 16GB SD card? Hell an 8GB card is $6 and a 16GB card is $10 at Wal-Mart. One for MAME. One for all Nintendo and Sega. One for all the classics. Feasible?

EDIT: Was just reading up on this and found a couple interesting things/ideas.

1) There are users that have been using 64GB SD cards with no issue. While some in the thread argue against it wirelessmonk (next to last post) states he is doing it no problem.

2) Same thread. Last post. Set up the SD card with Linux then use an external HDD to store files. PacManPlus - Is there enough room in your case to mount an external USB drive perhaps? That would still keep it all in one case and keep the slimline Atari look.

Just some curiosity I had. I am giving this one some serious thought now. I certainly don't need another emulation system but I love gadgets. :)

Edited by ClassicGMR

Thank guys! :)

@ClassicGMR: I don't think there is enough room for a hard drive in that case (even a 2.5")... Also for heat buildup (unless you put a small fan in there with some holes... That being said I didn't worry too much about fitting anything else in there while making this one... Your mileage may vary.

• 1 month later...