IGNORED

TURBO FREEZER XL/XE 2011 Documentation

JAC!

Hi everybody,

I'm supporting HIAS and mega-hz in getting the freezer out. I took the task of reading/reviewing the documentation and providing the English translation. HIAS and I agreed to change the licence of the documentation so we can publish it here already in parts.

Here is the first bunch of German corresponding (American) English documentation so you can review them side-by-side. I'm looking forward to feedback for any language/translation esp. from our native speakers. You know, German product quality is good, German English sometimes not :-)

de-2011.pdf

en-2011.pdf

I'm also reworking them while I do this (hias likes long sentences :-) and will put everything here that's become final from my point of view.

Edited by JAC!

Its dangerous to have a year in the product name. Since we hopefully receive it in 2013, the Turbo Freezer 2011 name seems already very outdated :-D

Robert

Yeah, especially in such a fast developing market like ours. Damn, I guess in 2 motnhs or so my Atari 800 is too old to compete with others. :grin:

• Like 3

paragraph 2, page 1 "considerably sing" should be "considerably since"

futher, "a memory map" - eat "a"

next paragraph

"after the initial run as sold out" - shouldn't be "was sold out"?

basis? not base?

next paragraph

"wolfram created a first" - redundant "a"

"i realized quickly" - "i quickly realized"

"revamped"? don't know this one

Hi everybody,

I'm supporting HIAS and mega-hz in getting the freezer out. I took the task of reading/reviewing the documentation and providing the English translation. HIAS and I agreed to change the licence of the documentation so we can publish it here already in parts.

Here is the first bunch of German corresponding (American) English documentation so you can review them side-by-side. I'm looking forward to feedback for any language/translation esp. from our native speakers. You know, German product quality is good, German English sometimes not :-)

If you want even the tiniest error:

"a few demo" must read "a few demos"

"separate ANTIC acces is" should be "access" (2nd line of the 2nd paragraph"

After "On the other hand" at the beginning of a sentence should be a ","

I am pretty sure you will more of such mistakes from the native speakers. Although, not all native speakers necessarily know their language better the non-native speaker. I have experienced a few times that foreigners corrected my German grammar and spelling ;)

Hi everybody and thanks for your feedback. Here is the list of correction, the final preface and RAM extenstion and the reworked and translated cartridge emulation chapters.

Preface:

FIXED: "considerably sing" should be "considerably since"

CHANGED: further, "a memory map" - eat "a" => It is countable (1), so I think it's OK. Added "an": a memory map and an OS vector overview

FIXED: "after the initial run as sold out" - shouldn't be "was sold out"?

CHANGED: basis? not base? => Yes, "a basis for" / "eine Grundlage für", fixed "a" => "as"

CHANGED: "wolfram created a first" - redundant "a" => "created the first prototype" (there were several)

UNCHANGED: "i realized quickly" - "i quickly realized" => Both are valid English.

CANGED: "revamped"? don't know this one => means "polished again" but is actually an incorrect translation. Changed to "redone".

CHANGED: The decision to use a flash ROM instead of an EPROM proved being particularly helpful. It enabled users to enjoy software updates and new functions as the flash ROM could be updated from the Atari.

CHANGED: Special thanks goes to Erhard Pütz and Carsten Strotmann for many good ideas.

CHANGED: The initial run sold out fairly quickly and requests for more kept coming.

CHANGED: Together with Wolfram Fisher, who also participated in the first run, I started planning a new production run.

FIXED: the => than

CHANGED: the price => the same price

CHANGED: By the end of 2010 Wolfram had created the first prototype of the new hardware.

CHANGED: This way the users of the old freezer may also benefit from further updates.

CHANGED: Also thanks to all who ordered the new freezer in advance and waited so patiently.

RAM Extension:

FIXED: "a few demo" must read "a few demos"

FIXED: "separate ANTIC acces is" should be "access" (2nd line of the 2nd paragraph"

FIXED: After "On the other hand" at the beginning of a sentence should be a ","

FUN: you will more of such mistakes => I definitely will :-)

Edited by JAC!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi rdea6,

your feedback kept my quite busy. I spent a lot of time to find a more suitable font with the result that there is none. of course we could reduce the number of characters/line but that again will break the whole formatting and will not look as intended when printed on paper. And even more, with the result that the PDF file is perfectly fine, esp. when printed.

It's simply the Adobe Read that f...s up the presentation. If you use a different reader like Sumatra, everything is fine & black. I appears to be related to Adobe's attempted to make adapt the true type font to the screen. If is disable this feature, you can clearly see what happens with small zoom levels (lots of lost pixels/noise) in Adobe, while it looks perfectly black & round when you zoom in.

post-17404-0-28696900-1360785264_thumb.png

post-17404-0-65252500-1360785268_thumb.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The German version is complete and the first bunch of freezers has been sent out. So I'm back to the English part. HIAS managed to change the setup of the included fonts, so the document looks fine now also with Adobe Reader and even at 6400% zoom.

Here's the first part of the English techinfo:

techinfo-en-part1.pdf

Edited by JAC!