IGNORED

SillyPack 2k12 -Silly Venture result package

JAC!

This pack contains a disk image in MyDos format with all Atari 8-bit releases of SillyVenture 2k12. The disk was originally compiled by PIN/TRISTESSE. I felt this is a good idea and SillyVenture deserves a good presentation, esp. the graphics and music releases for which no art pack/music disk exists. So I decided to create this menu, rework all readmes and fix releases to run properly where required. See .nfo file for details.

post-17404-0-64449300-1358421403_thumb.png

This is an updated version with a proper results viewer which also acts as a menu from where you can directly start all releases and read the readmes. The menu remains memory resident, so you don't have to load it again every time. This makes watching the graphics entries and listening to the music entries much more fun, esp. on the real machine. These are the controls for the menu:

• Pressing any key during loading the menu takes you to the DOS shell.
  • Pressing RESET in the menu performs a cold start.
  • Pressing RESET in while a release is running returns to menu, if possible.
  • Further controls are displayed in the menu itself.

Download: disk image, sources, pouet

Edited by JAC!
  • Like 8

I have updated the download with the fixed version of Pixel which I had ready but forgot to copy it into the final image (original loads too low for DOS, $0c00).

Regarding Unshaped I found it's a bug in the LLE Kernel of Altirra which I'll report to phaeron.

For legal reason I did not include the XL/XE OS. But if you switch it in Altirra, it will work.

• Like 1

Thats very nice, being able to look at Pictures in exe format and then reset without turning of power, does it exist a general viewer for atari Pictures exe files that works similar to this ? i mean like a picture browser ?

Edited by Grevle

Analysis showed that it's not Altirra but the fact that Unshaped uses an undocumented OS entry point (JSR $C642) to output the loading text. I have patched the demo now so it works properly also with the LLE Kernel.

• Like 1

How do you find and fix this stuff so quickly?!?

When I started 5 weeks ago I thought "Let's put together the menu quickly". When I worked I found out that the real effort is in fixing stuff, so the menu really becomes usable. Meanwhile I'm rather trained in that :-)

* 2012-12-12 - Pong - Scores fixed, Run address added, Sources fixed (me)

* 2012-12-13 - High Tide - Loading bar added, reduced size (by proBe)

* 2012-12-19 - RGBA - Updated with Fast Mix version (me)

* 2013-01-03 - SN3 - Executable added (me)

* 2013-01-09 - Jawbreaker - Run address added (me)

* 2013-01-13 - Calamanis - Version 2.6, patched for MyDos (me)

* 2013-01-16 - Flame - G2F almost reconstructed from executable (me)

* 2013-01-17 - Pixel - Load address patched for real DOS (me)

* 2013-01-17 - Unshaped - Load address patched LLE kernel (me)

.. plus reformatting all (minus 1) readmes from English/Polish/MSDOS/Unix to 40 char ATASCII:-)

Edited by JAC!

Hi Andreas, seems, you're right. I googled the problem and found

from the software vendor:

post-17404-0-51504500-1358460692_thumb.png

In any case you should check if you have the 68030 upgrade installed. The menu will automatically disable the entries in case the upgrade is missing.

Edited by JAC!

Pong is busted with Altirra's built-in HLE/LLE kernels because, for some bizarre reason, it reads code from the math pack ROM to use as player/missile graphics:

2259:208: 62 | A=68 X=13 Y=00 S=F3 P=B4 | 4045: 29 02			 AND #$02
 2259:208: 64 | A=00 X=13 Y=00 S=F3 P=36 | 4047: A8			    TAY
 2259:208: 66 | A=00 X=13 Y=00 S=F3 P=36 | 4048: B9 76 DB		  LDA $DB76,Y  ;$DB76
 2259:208: 70 | A=00 X=13 Y=00 S=F3 P=36 | 404B: 8D 0A D4		  STA WSYNC
 2259:208: 74 | A=00 X=13 Y=00 S=F3 P=36 | 404E: 8D 0D D0		  STA GRAFP0

...and code from the extension ROM to use as sound data:

2259:214: 60 | A=02 X=02 Y=00 S=F3 P=34 | 4094: BD 24 C6		  LDA $C624,X  ;$C626
 2259:214: 64 | A=E6 X=02 Y=00 S=F3 P=B4 | 4097: 8D 9D 40		  STA $409D
 2259:214: 68 | A=E6 X=02 Y=00 S=F3 P=B4 | 409A: 8D 00 D2		  STA AUDF1

I'm all for efficiency, but c'mon, using undocumented OS ROM addresses in new code is kind of lame....

> but c'mon, using undocumented OS ROM addresses in new code is kind of lame....

Well, the whole point of this Pong implementation was size coding - and there "everything is allowed", I remember some 32byte demos of mine where ... :-)

But since the version on the disk was anyway patched to run with normal DOS, have now provided both the really original and the really compatible version in $158 bytes.

The latter is the one started from the menu, so it should work now.

Edited by JAC!

Great work JAC! I've been trying the programs on my 130XE using APE. The menu system is impressive and having everying all together makes it much easer :thumbsup: Very impressed with the Intro Demo Arigato by AquoQuo, great sound and awesome graphics :thumbsup:

The Jawbreaker game is neat. Calamaris - the screen jumps (is this you bing shot) are there any instructions (I pressed 1-7 and selected the destinations? using Up/Down but could't figure it out?

Thanks to thosse coders who made their sonngs/pictures exit to the menu (fire/escape) :thumbsup:

Some of the songs restarted/went to a blank screen and locked up.

Calamaris - the screen jumps (is this you bing shot) are there any instructions (I pressed 1-7 and selected the destinations? using Up/Down but could't figure it out?

Thanks to thosse coders who made their sonngs/pictures exit to the menu (fire/escape) :thumbsup:

Some of the songs restarted/went to a blank screen and locked up.

>Some of the songs restarted/went to a blank screen and locked up

Can you please tell which excatly? No sound should lock up upon normal reset.

The sounds should (if not return directly with a key press) at least return with coldstart (the menu is taken from the RAM below the OS is possible, so the restart should be faster than power up).

Note: The G2F graphics suffered from a bug in G2F's "SAVE AS XEX" which I already have reported to tebe. You should not press RESET but any other key to leave the graphics.

>Calamanis (without r :-)

The author told me, there'll be a final version soon. I'll ask for a menu as readme/ingame again.

So the song didn't soudn right, or did they really lock up? I have added a stereo icon to indicate the stereo songs now.

post-17404-0-65536100-1358695410_thumb.png

And I found an untranslated readme. Maybe somebody who knows Polish (and how broken Polish characters look in ASCII) can translate this:

Title: Bijatyka na straganie

Length: 01:36

Author: sOnar

Program: Chaos Music Composer

Specjalna dedykacja dla Cedynia, ktory przepieknie poczestowal Irate4 z barbary ;) gdzies dawno

temu... xD

Peter, you did another awesome work :)

...Specjalna dedykacja dla Cedynia, ktory przepieknie poczestowal Irate4 z barbary ;) gdzies dawno

temu... xD

Don't know Polish, but first part of the bottom Text is sure something like this: Specially dedicated to Cedynia, who...