IGNORED

Yay... blogs again

Nathan Strum

Why on older entries (featuring Artie the Atari) does it show thumbnails of placed images...

post-2641-0-21311900-1359221971_thumb.png

But on recent ones, it doesn't (see top two posts in the image below)? The images are all hosted in the same place.

post-2641-0-16345400-1359221966_thumb.png

Also, given that the full-sized images would fit well within the width of the page, why does the software feel obligated to scale them even when it isn't needed?

Edited by Nathan Strum

Both good questions. The second one in particular bugs me, and it's true in the forum as well. I should look on Invision's site to see if someone's come up with a patch for this, basically to do what you described. If the image will fit in the width of the page, DON'T SCALE IT! Drives me a bit bonkers.

Looks like there are settings for width and height for attachment thumbnails, which are both set to 250 at the moment. It is possible to disable the use of thumbnails so all images are displayed at their default width and height. Part of the reason for thumbnails is to cut down on bandwidth consumed by the site--if images are always shown at their full width and height, pages will take longer to load and they pages may be quite large in size when there are many attachments on a page. So it's a bit of a tradeoff. I just took a look at the bandwidth AtariAge is using, and while we're only using about 50% of the available bandwidth per month, not sure how much I want to push that.

I'm planning on upgrading the forum to 3.4.2 next week (we're running 3.3.4). I can play with these settings a bit once I've performed the upgrade.

..Al

More brokenness. The blog software now doesn't like bullets, so it's taken to putting them outside of their windows:

post-2641-0-26063800-1359670526_thumb.png

The extra indents didn't used to be there before either.

I take a lot of time (as I'm sure others do) carefully formatting blog entries. I'm getting really tired of seeing the blog software continue to screw them up.

Edited by Nathan Strum

I will spend significant time looking into the various blog issues you've reported after I upgrade to 3.4.x. I may wait until 3.4.3, as there's a significant bug with the "Remember Me" functionality that always remembers when someone has logged in, even if they haven't checked that box. I consider that a pretty significant security problem, so I won't upgrade until they either post a patch or roll out 3.4.3 (which already has about 50 bugs fixed since 3.4.2 was released a few days ago--they are taking care of some older bugs now..)

..Al

Thanks - I appreciate the work you put into AA. I know the blog problems aren't your doing, it's them. I'm not looking forward to the prospect of moving my blog elsewhere, but then I'm also not looking forward to going through and spending hours fixing my old entries, only to have them get screwed up again when they roll out another half-baked "update".

I just looked on Invision's site to see if they are planning on making any changes to the Blogs module, and found a post that significant changes are in store for 4.0 of the software, which they are busy working on now (and probably have been for a while, given they are just releasing bug fixes for the 3.4.x series). No clue as to what they might change, although as they get further along I'm sure they'll start blogging about their plans, which they are generally pretty good about doing.

I really wish they'd throw the blog module out and rewrite it from scratch. It's always been the odd child out, and it hasn't seen very much attention the past few years. Whereas the Gallery module has seen huge changes (for better or worse), although more of their customers are probably using the Gallery module than Blog. I mean, everyone wants to upload photos, but not everyone wants to write blog posts.

Upgrading the forum is always a huge pain in the neck, and generally takes two solid days of work. I've learned not to upgrade immediately when there's a big point release (3.3.0, 3,4.0) as there will always be a flurry of bug fixes after. And with 3.4.2 they made a ton of fixes for the editor, which they apparently broke rather nicely with 3.4.0. But, I really do want to upgrade the site, as there are many good fixes and the current editor has a lot of its own problems (with 3.3.x they switched to a third-party editor, CKEditor), especially in non-WYSIWYG mode, which is what I use.

When they do announce they are focusing their attention on the Blogs module, I'll jump in with suggestions and feedback. Until then, I will try to address as many of the issues you've brought up as I can. I'll just need to focus on it for a solid day and see what I can fix, or what isn't easily fixable (and flag those for another time, or as suggestions to Invision).

As far as the bullets go, must be malformed CSS and/or HTML. Does this happen with the default "Invision" skin? Hmm, you may not be able to see that skin--point me to a specific blog post and I'll take a look. If it looks fine with the Invision skin, it's a problem with the AtariAge skin and I should be able to fix it easily enough (and I'll do that right away).

..Al

Did customers start moving over to competitive products?

Our branch has only one customer and that customer demanded outsourcing.

It is a general problem with today's managers, IMO. They usually vastly underestimate the challenges for the developers and vastly overestimate their own understanding. And they do not learn from the devastating results they usually create, because their best (only?) talent is to put any blame on someone else.

Very frustrating... :roll:

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 1

Hmm, you may not be able to see that skin--point me to a specific blog post and I'll take a look. If it looks fine with the Invision skin, it's a problem with the AtariAge skin and I should be able to fix it easily enough (and I'll do that right away).

This one, this one, or any with bullets. Even blog comments do it.

Albert knows. He asked me sometime ago if I wanted the game shipped, and I said no. I was about to head out on vacation and saw no need for it to sit around in the mailroom at work.

Once I get my 2600 working, I'll have that plus a few other games I need to catch up on sent to me.

Okay, this one has been annoying me for days.

Whenever I click on the dot in the main blog list to jump to what should be the most recent unread comment, instead it takes me to the last comment in the most recent entry, even though I've already read it.

So, I click the dot here:

post-2641-0-31015200-1360094038_thumb.png

But end up here:

post-2641-0-70700400-1360094097_thumb.png

Instead of here:

post-2641-0-02509800-1360094170_thumb.png

BTW: Once (when I liked the blogs) there used to be a way to subscribe to blogs and to get a view of the subscribed blogs only. Ordered by most recent comments (just like normal posts in the forum). Is that still somehow possible?

Currently I find it pretty tedious to even get to the latest comments on my own blog.

A few more:

• The categories are still formatted and sorted seemingly at random. Not in a nice, alphabetical list.
  • Clicking on a category in a blog now shows all entries in all blogs that have that tag. It only used to show just results for the blog you were viewing.
  • Really would like to be able to define how many recent comments can be shown in my blog, and/or have the option of extending the list when more recent comments have been added than can be displayed in the default list. Right now it's five. If more than five people comment before I can check that list, I may have to slog through multiple entries to stumble across any comments I missed.

Edited by Nathan Strum

If more than five people comment before I can check that list, I may have to slog through multiple entries to stumble across any comments I missed.

I (have to) use the mail notifications for navigation here. :)

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch