IGNORED

5200 Tempest Now Available!

Albert

Tempest for the Atari 5200 is now available for purchase from the AtariAge Store!

For 15 years, the existence of an Atari 5200 version of Tempest was thought to be only myth. No prototypes had ever surfaced. A crude 2600 version had come to light, along with a prototype box. Then, in 1999, an unfinished working 5200 prototype appeared on eBay. The game was eventually dumped and the binary freely distributed around the Internet. Another decade has gone by since the game's discovery, and the original Atari 5200 Tempest programmer, Keithen Hayenga, worked to complete Tempest so it could finally see the light of day in completed form!

Tempest 5200 includes the game cartridge with glossy label, twelve page full-color, glossy manual, professionally offset printed box using chipboard paper stock, and cartridge insert to keep the cartridge in place. Only 250 boxed copies of Tempest will be produced! After that, the game will be sold without the box. If you want a boxed copy of the game, don't wait too long!

Order Tempest for the Atari 5200 Today!

Tempest_Mockup_600.jpg

• Like 7

Tempest is a must-have for any 5200 fan or a fan of Tempest. I purchased the game a few months ago and I was not disappointed. The game faithfully reproduces the arcade and the entire complete package is like it was produced by Atari in 1983. I love Tempest for the 5200. Thanks Al for getting this to the market after 30 years.

• Like 1

Tempest is an awesome arcade game btw! I'm almost tempted to buy Tempest just for the cool factor, despite the fact that I don't even own an Atari 5200.

I finally got my Tempest fix a while back while playing the 6-in-1 SNES Midway's Arcade Classics: Atari collection, despite the fact that D-pad control is far from Ideal.

And err,

who can contact "Glenn the 5200 man", so we can get an A8 version ?!?

Or is there an 8Bit computer version planned (besides the already existing Tempest Xtreeme)...?!?

-Andreas Koch.

Seems like it would be perfect with the 2600 Driving Controller. Or the CX-80 TrakBall.

Either way, I did buy the 5200 version... can't wait!

There is also a screen I did, which is a conversion of the original Atari arcade Tempest. This post:

http://www.atariage....e__hl__+tempest

I used a special Graphics 8+15 interlace mode that shudders the screen up and down the scanline. Result is you get about a 4 color screen at 160x192 pixels, but it only takes up the standard 8K of Graphics 8 or 15. With a softsprite routine, and maybe using the same conversion of the original 6502 code that was used on the Asteroids emulator, maybe it's possible to do an emulation of Tempest as well.

Edited by Synthpopalooza

Is a working analog controller needed to play this? I've never been much of a fan of Tempest, but I may give this one a go one of these days.

You need an analog controller or track ball. The digital converted sticks won't work with this game.

Allan