IGNORED

set optimization (Only one or more than one?)

Random Terrain

The bB page doesn't seem to be clear on this. Can you only use one of the four options, or can you use more than one?

www.randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-commands.html#optimization

If you can use more than one, is it similar to kernel options where only certain options can be used together?

Thanks.

I confirmed by looking at the source code for the bB compiler... the optimizations can be mixed and matched.

Can you tell if any of them are incompatible with each other? And can you tell if they can be on the same line like this:

set optimization speed size noinlinedata inlinerand

or if they need to be on separate lines like this:

set optimization speed

set optimization size

set optimization noinlinedata

set optimization inlinerand

Thanks.

None of the settings are incompatible with each other, with the exception of "set optimization none". If you use that it will disable previous optimization lines.

You can't put optimizations all on the same line, they need to be separate lines.

Thanks. I'll update the bB page later today.

I took a look at the optimization description today, and what you have written for "size" isn't accurate. Based on what I see in the bB source code, this is how it works...

size

May decrease the size of generated code when using the multisprite kernel. bB will attempt to reuse bytes that may otherwise go wasted when it tries to align sprite data.

I took a look at the optimization description today, and what you have written for "size" isn't accurate. Based on what I see in the bB source code, this is how it works...

size

May decrease the size of generated code when using the multisprite kernel. bB will attempt to reuse bytes that may otherwise go wasted when it tries to align sprite data.

Weird. That was written by batari. I guess he forgot how it worked when wrote up the description.

Thanks.

Maybe his intent was to increase the scope for "size" beyond the multisprite kernel, but that's all it's affecting right now, and it doesn't have anything to with multiplication or division. (unlike "speed")

I'm not trying to claim I'm more authoritative on bB than batari, but the source code is pretty clear. Anyone with a rudimentary understanding of C can search statements.c for "optimization" and confirm what I'm saying.