IGNORED

Surround: no blank lines

Nukey Shay

I posted a 4k version earlier...this is back down to 2k.

Using missile sprites instead of 8-bit players, and adding redundant code (after those sprites were already enabled in the loop) eliminates the horizontal lines between PF rows. I kept the blank lines from the upper and lower screen borders, but those could be removed as well.

Quite a bit of space left over (and more to be had) even in 2k, so another update could follow. Maybe expand on the number of game options by doing away with the lookup table? It's kind of goofy to see the computer player drawing in graffiti mode, tho - set bit4 (+$10) in ram location $F1 to see that.

Surround(NoBlanks).asm

Surround(NoBlanks).bin

• Like 3

The game is not suitable for Tron (or even Dominos, for that matter). Playfield pixels are too wide for the former, and no detail for the latter. It's possible to use the original kernel to draw the player's sprites in some other shape than a square, tho. But you'd need to alter the collision routine if the sprite is bigger than the pixels "it leaves behind".

As for sound, I'm terrible at it. But IMO any sound effect used is bound to get on your nerves in this game. Or maybe that was the whole idea?

At least the speedup variations alters the sound a bit.

What would you suggest? Something like Super Breakout that randomly assigns a distortion effect?

As for sound, I'm terrible at it. But IMO any sound effect used is bound to get on your nerves in this game. Or maybe that was the whole idea?

Surround was the 3rd game I ever played on the VCS. To me, without that sound, it wouldn't be the same. But if you're hacking and modding it then whatever goes goes..

Edited by Keatah

The first 'note' (AUDC0 = $0C and AUDF0 = $1E) seems to play for 13 frames and is silent for 2 frames and everything I've tried so far by playing with the volume makes it more annoying. A bell-like sound is worse. Bringing the volume up to 8 makes you want to breathe funny. Making the volume vacillate is very, very, very, very annoying. Only thing I can think of is that since the other sound channel isn't being used, maybe a complimentary note could be played at the same time to help make it more pleasing.

RT, are you annoyed by the tone that escalates with the speed increase (not sure if it does that on all games) and plays as you are running, or the echoing "crash" sound? or both? I dont like the tones as you are moving, but can tune them out. I suppose the crash sound is super annoying, but I can't imagine the game without it. Having said that, I never knew about Warring Worms and cant wait to try it.

RT, are you annoyed by the tone that escalates with the speed increase (not sure if it does that on all games) and plays as you are running, or the echoing "crash" sound? or both? I dont like the tones as you are moving, but can tune them out. I suppose the crash sound is super annoying, but I can't imagine the game without it. Having said that, I never knew about Warring Worms and cant wait to try it.

The crash sound effect is OK. It's the constant doo doo doo doo DOO DOO DOO DOO DOO DOO DOO DOO that gets annoying pretty fast. The only other thing I can think of is to change the volume from 8 to something like 4 and leave the crash sound the way it is. The crash sound effect will be at normal volume, but the constant doo doo doo doo sound effect won't be as loud and you won't have to play with the volume on your TV.