IGNORED

HSC10 Round 3: Qix

therealbountybob

More classic gaming in round 3 of the HSC with the runnaway poll winner...

QIX

qix.png

Play the Atari 1982 version. I think there are issues with the file versions not running properly on some menus (goes screwy after a while) but it should work ok loading from DOS. Take the default settings. Standard scoring.

Bonus point

Beat orpheuswakings HSC record of 638,287 from season 8 for 1pt.

I love Qix so will be having a bash at that :P

Bonus Challenge

Set the sparx timer to 10 using Option/F4 :-o 1pt for the highest score (for both the top PAL and NTSC players)

Bonus game

I thought about a Qix like bonus game, we played Filler Up before (from Analog magazine - Tom Hudson), I thought there was another one and eventually found Electric Starfish but it looked suspiciously like Filler Up, and... it is! See Tom's comments on atarimania, what a rip-off :thumbsdown: Noticed that someone did the same to Paul Lays Freeway Ace game from Page 6 mag :twisted:

Anyway I was going to go for the game where you fill in the pre-drawn squares, think there was money in them?? but I couldn't remember what it was called! So I've plumped for Alternity which isn't Qix like but might be fun, and we get to shoot stuff :D anyone know this game?

alternity.png

Scoring: 3pts for the winner 2pts top 5 places, 1pt for playing.

Downloads

Qix Atarimania ROM & instructions, Fandal XEX, Atarionline.pl "Qix(v2)" various XEX and ATRs, Homesoft Disk 200 ATR Emulator users try the ROM file from the atarimania link on the 1st post (click "1.8k recommended" if using Altirra)

Alternity Atarimania, Fandal ATR

Round closes Sun 10th March 10am GMT. If you need any help just post :)

Game On!

post-10357-0-50761000-1361806315_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately there is no way to adjust the percentage need to complete a board. The only changes made by depressing the "Option" button is to adjust the time period at which further sparks are released. This renders the bonus portion of this round null I'm afraid. :(

Bonus Challenge

Set the threshold to 90% using Option/F4 :-o 1pt for the highest score

I am unable to change the threshold using F4...when I press F4 the sparks timer is what changes.

I am using Atari800Win4.2. Qix wont even run under Altirra.

If anyone can get the threshold to change under emulation..let a brotha know...thx.

Bonus Challenge

I am unable to change the threshold using F4...when I press F4 the sparks timer is what changes.

If anyone can get the threshold to change under emulation..let a brotha know...thx.

Allow me to reiterate my comment on that very subject. I was afraid that making it in the same post as a score submission would allow it to go unnoticed:

"Unfortunately there is no way to adjust the percentage need to complete a board. The only changes made by depressing the "Option" button is to adjust the time period at which further sparks are released. This renders the bonus portion of this round null I'm afraid. :( "

Allow me to reiterate my comment on that very subject. I was afraid that making it in the same post as a score submission would allow it to go unnoticed:

"Unfortunately there is no way to adjust the percentage need to complete a board. The only changes made by depressing the "Option" button is to adjust the time period at which further sparks are released. This renders the bonus portion of this round null I'm afraid. :( "

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-qix_4207.html

I just read the instructions and found out what you just said...no way to adjust the threshold in this version of QIX

Bonus Challenge

Try whacking the cartridge... no wait we tried that :D

OK make it the "Quick Spark Bonus Challenge" set them blighters to 10 Seconds [Option/F4]

I'll put 1pt up for PAL and 1pt for NTSC players :party:

Emulator users try the ROM file from the atarimania link on the 1st post

(click 1.8k recommended if prompted in Altirra)

Altirra does seem to load Qix file versions but you might have to try out a few versions as the game sometimes corrupts (perhaps due to copy protection?) or try Homesoft Disk 200 :)

my scores:

Qix 363,889 (managed a 9x but didn't cash in on my 3rd life)

post-19705-0-48122100-1361920497.jpg

Alternity 5,638 (a little more relaxing!) some hidden sections and dead ends, might get interesting. Pressing Select on the title screen changes the colours but not sure if this changes difficulty - time to read the manual ;)

post-19705-0-23254400-1361920502.jpg

Does Alternity show the final score?

I was up over 1,000 and lost it.

I must of pressed the fire button right when the game ended. :(

When the game is over.. take your screenshot right then before you press the fire button.

:thumbsup:

atarimania lists Alternity as a prototype but it seems pretty good to me, apart from not showing the high score :D

Qix Qix Tip #1: you score double the points using slow draw (hold fire - brown lines/fill)