IGNORED

XEVIOUS disassy & game

Blue Azure

Quite Quiet on the 7800 forum lately. TIME4ACTION!!!

BAM!BAM!BAM!

BAM!

BAM! BLUE AZURE MONDAY BAM!

BAM!

BAM!BAM!BAM!BAM!

Now we have XEVIOUS, one of my 3 favorite original shooters on the 7800. The original XEVIOUS arcade game was designed by Masanobu Endo and released by Namco in 1982 and runs on the Namco Galaga hardware. Got PROMs? You can run either on one machine. On the 7800, this was probably my second favorite, based on the scale of difficulty from GALAGA-XEVIOUS-ROBOTRON.

XEVIOUS DISASSEMBLY

This iteration of the XEVIOUS game disassembly is now complete. The source listing was fairly complete, but there were significant omissions/changes in the 4K bytes of address $D000. In the case of omissions, the raw binary data is shown for future review/improvements of the current disassembly. The differences between the source list and released binary are shown in red text. The bulk is fairly well-documented so this greatly enhances the understanding of the game.

In the history of the 7800 XEVIOUS, there have been a few versions of the game. The game was conceived in 1983 and continued in 1984, and finally released in 1986, with an enhanced Star Wars version provided by Gambler172 in ca.2007. The title screens look like this.

1984 XEVIOUS TITLE SCREEN

1986 XEVIOUS TITLE SCREEN

2007 STARWARS TITLE SCREEN

1982 XEVIOUS ARCADE TITLE SCREEN

post-34769-0-99144100-1362434963_thumb.jpg

Here is a gameplay example of the original XEVIOUS arcade version to view audio & video comparisons. The arcade version WINS. Need to pokeyize our 7800 XEVIOUS, and the explosions are much more graphic on the arcade version.

http://vvvvvv.youtub...h?v=Jlq360e3bdI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jlq360e3bdI

Now back to the real world...

XEVIOUS INVINCIBILITY

In future mods we will need an easy way to view/test our XEVIOUS upgrades, and to do this we will need invincibility. The routine that processes a detected hit of the Solvalou (YOU) is as shown below. To bypass this we simply add a jump at the beginning of the BOOM! (HIT) routine and this bypasses the result of the collision detection, hence rendering you invincible. At first it's exciting to get the furthest you've ever been in the game. Then it gets relatively boring - so I increased the difficulty. This game is still chock full of opportunities to enhance the game.

HIT:

A12C A9 0C-----LDA #XPLOTUNE

A12E 20 25 B8--JSR TUNIN

A131 A9 D4-----LDA #L(C3BLANK)

A133 8D 3C 19--STA ELTYPE+1 ;DELETE SIGHT

A136 A9 35-----LDA #$35

A138 8D 07 21--STA DETHWAIT

A13B A9 01-----LDA #$01

A13D 8D 08 21--STA SOLVSTAT

A140 A0 00-----LDY #$00

A142 20 51 A9--JSR FLFNO2

A145 A9 06-----LDA #$06

A147 8D 6F 19--STA ELANIMT

A14A A9 3E-----LDA #ASKNOLY0 ;ACSOLDED-ACTIONRL

A14C 8D 89 19--STA ELSTATE

A14F A9 0F-----LDA #$0F

A151 8D BD 19--STA ELWAIT

BOOMRTS:

A154 60--------RTS

NTSC STAR WARS (XEVIOUS clone)

At address $A64F, change $A9$0C$20 TO $4C$77$A6 to bypass dying.

NTSC XEVIOUS

At address $A12C, change $A9$0C$20 TO $4C$54$A1 to bypass dying.

PAL XEVIOUS

At address $A12B, change $A9$0C$20 TO $4C$53$A1 to bypass dying.

START-UP LIVES & BONUS LIVES

A00C A9 20-----LDA #$20 ;EXTRA MAN AT 20,000

A00E 8D 6D 1A--STA XTRASOLV

A011 8D 63 1A--STA XTRASOLV-NMPLVARS

A014 A9 04-----LDA #$04 ;GAME BEGINS WITH 4 SPARE LIVES.

A016 8D 6E 1A--STA NUMLIVES

I am changing the game to start with zero (0) extra lives and initial bonus at 8,000 points.

NTSC STAR WARS

At address $A52F, change $A9$20 to $A9$08 for an 'extra man' at 8,000.

At address $A537, change $A9$04 to $A9$00 to start with zero (0) extra lives.

NTSC XEVIOUS

At address $A00C, change $A9$20 to $A9$08 for an 'extra man' at 8,000.

At address $A014, change $A9$04 to $A9$00 to start with zero (0) extra lives.

PAL XEVIOUS

At address $A00B, change $A9$20 to $A9$08 for an 'extra man' at 8,000.

At address $A013, change $A9$04 to $A9$00 to start with zero (0) extra lives.

There is some math around address $A274 thru $A29B to delay extra lives more and more as time progresses. To disable this, at address $A297 change $69$20 to $EA$EA (no ops). This was NOT done in the game samples attached below. This way you have to play-on for a longer time to achieve the maximum of 9 extra lives displayed. If you do make this change yourself, you will gain an extra life at every 20,000 lives (or every 8,000 or whatever you choose).

A274 90 26-----BCC ZNOXTRA

A276 EE 6E 1A--INC NUMLIVES

A279 A9 0B-----LDA #XTRATUNE

A27B 20 25 B8--JSR TUNIN

A27E AD 6C 1A--LDA PMOD0+1

A281 38--------SEC

A282 ED 6D 1A--SBC XTRASOLV

A285 8D 6C 1A--STA PMOD0+1

A288 AD 6B 1A--LDA PMOD0

A28B E9 00-----SBC #$00

A28D 8D 6B 1A--STA PMOD0

A290 AD 6D 1A--LDA XTRASOLV ;ADJUST THRESHOLD

A293 C9 60-----CMP #$60 ; (MAXIMUM EVERY 60,000 POINTS)

A295 B0 05-----BCS ZNOXTRA

A297 69 20-----ADC #$20 ; MAKE IT 20,000 HARDER FOR EACH XTRA

A299 8D 6D 1A--STA XTRASOLV

DIFFICULTY SETTINGS

ONEMONE:

----------------;.BYTE -7,-6,-6,-6,-6,-6,-6,-5 ;EASIEST DIFFICULTY LEVEL

D0B5------------.BYTE $F9,$FA,$FA,$FA,$FA,$FA,$FA,$FB

D0BD------------.BYTE $FA,$FB,$FB,$FB,$FB,$FB,$FB,$FC

D0C5------------.BYTE $FB,$FC,$FC,$FC,$FC,$FC,$FC,$FD

D0CD------------.BYTE $FC,$FD,$FD,$FD,$FD,$FD,$FD,$FE

D0D5------------.BYTE $FD,$FE,$FE,$FE,$FE,$FE,$FE,$FF

D0DD------------.BYTE $FE,$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$00

----------------;.BYTE -1,0,0,0,0,0,0,1 ;HARDEST DIFFICULTY LEVEL

D0E5------------.BYTE $FF,$00,$00,$00,$00,$00,$00,$01

Changed this to:

----------------;.BYTE 0F,0F,0F,0F,0F,0F,0F,0F ;EASIEST DIFFICULTY LEVEL

D0B5------------.BYTE $0F,$0F,$0F,$0F,$0F,$0F,$0F,$0F (Novice start)

D0BD------------.BYTE $1F,$1F,$1F,$1F,$1F,$1F,$1F,$1F

D0C5------------.BYTE $2F,$2F,$2F,$2F,$2F,$2F,$2F,$2F (Intermediate start)

D0CD------------.BYTE $3F,$3F,$3F,$3F,$3F,$3F,$3F,$3F

D0D5------------.BYTE $4F,$4F,$4F,$4F,$4F,$4F,$4F,$4F (Advanced start)

D0DD------------.BYTE $5F,$5F,$5F,$5F,$5F,$5F,$5F,$5F

----------------;.BYTE 6F,6F,6F,6F,6F,6F,6F,6F ;HARDEST DIFFICULTY LEVEL

D0E5------------.BYTE $6F,$6F,$6F,$6F,$6F,$6F,$6F,$6F (Expert start)

NTSC XEVIOUS $D0B5-$D0EC

PAL XEVIOUS $D0B5-$D0EC

NTSC STAR WARS $D0CB-$D102

(TRY THE ADVANCED LEVEL, I HAVE SET THIS UP FOR DIFFICULTY '4F' - IMAGINE TRYING TO PLAY THIS IN THE NON-INVINCIBLE MODE!)

*** GAME GOODIES ***

NTSC STAR WARS X

NTSC XEVIOUS X

PAL XEVIOUS X

XEVIOUS_X_PAL_B9D1.bin

Xevious_X_PAL_48K.a78

>>> GAME ON >>>

NEXT UP> JOUST disassembly. Unfortunately, we don't have the 7800 version source list, only the 2600 source list. No one has the 7800 JOUST version? So I will repeat what I did on the 7800 Pole Position 2. A raw disassembly, fully un-commented. Perhaps the 2600 version has some of the logic used in the 7800 version. I don't know. Then finally the last of the original ten - FOOD FIGHT. I haven't released ASTEROIDS 3D or DIG DUG disassemblies yet. The sample games aren't ready. \\\ BLUEman ///

• Like 1

Hi Blue

Great work :)

But i have a question.If you looked at my Star Wars hack,you can see,that i was able to remove the sound.But i was not able to add a simple Star Wars melody at the beginning.So,if anyone would be able to add a Star Wars melody,i would release a Star Wars enhanced version,with better graphics and so on.This will only happen,if there is a Star Wars melody at the beginning.I do not know,how to do this :(

greetings Walter

You guys are touching on the same thoughts I have. Adding red to what, not sure what you're talking about? To the ship, or to the explosions, or everything? Changing existing sprites with known colors to red is simple (one byte), developing re-defined sprites of larger size, that's another challenge. As for the audio, that's something I want to learn this year. Sure there's TIA and POKEY specs, but you need to be able to port a sound to the Atari formats, and you need a sound in the first place. And you need room in the binary to place it. Calling it up is easy. I know there's a tool or two to convert but I don't have it. And as for the title screen, I want to create a ZEVIOUS version some day with the "Z" instead of "X" in the original artwork. I prefer the 1984 version title screen, but not sure how to port that to the 1986 version. Also seeing the arcade title screen, I'd rather have that graphics. I'm not up to that yet. The StarWars version appears to be modified from the original 1984 version as well. It would be cool to clean that up to look like any of the original games. BLUEman

And as for the title screen, I want to create a ZEVIOUS version some day with the "Z" instead of "X" in the original artwork. I prefer the 1984 version title screen, but not sure how to port that to the 1986 version. Also seeing the arcade title screen, I'd rather have that graphics.

My guess is that it's mostly the black background you'd like with a slightly modified logo. This should be really easy. Once I'm back home I'll take a look. I should be able to clean that up to look more like the arcade title. If you want more than 3 colors though, you'll need to make coding changes.

You guys are touching on the same thoughts I have. Adding red to what, not sure what you're talking about? To the ship, or to the explosions, or everything?

Everything really, I've noticed a lot of objects in Xevious have red colors. The game plays almost like the arcade but the lack of red always bugged me.

OK Bakasama, got it. We want to add red - using the arcade video sample I can see what could be done. Unfortunately I'm wamboozled for the rest of March working other things. And I'm totally emersed in FOOD FIGHT at the moment. As a side weekend project, however, on JOUST this morning within an hour I was able to find where the number of players was stored and where the decrement of lives happens. So now I can play JOUST 4ever, but it's not invincible - you just don't lose displayed number of lives. The collision detect should be tied in with the decrement of lives somewhere, but I haven't found that yet. I'd like to be able to swim in the lava in this game without dying, but that's yet another level of understanding of the game that we don't have yet. Review of the 2600 version of JOUST source list came up empty. There isn't anything that helps with the understanding of the 7800 version. You might as well dump it.

Back on Xevious or Zevious as I would like, no Herr Gambler, I don't have a photo. I suppose I could doctor up the original photo, but no time at the moment. The "X" is like a forward slash integrated with a backward slash. So you remove the backward slash and add horizontal lines to form the "Z". On the black background (1984) version, it seems easier, but I don't think this is as easy as bit-mapping on the 2600. I hope it is, but not sure. If someone else can do it, a gold star for you (you could win a TV). I think the graphics data is all in $8000 on this one.

I have a double coast to coast flights this week so this is going to gobble up my week. But at least I can work on FOOD FIGHT on the airplane. And that's what I plan to do.

Thanks for the updates guys... /// BLUEman ///

Back on Xevious or Zevious as I would like, no Herr Gambler, I don't have a photo. I suppose I could doctor up the original photo, but no time at the moment. The "X" is like a forward slash integrated with a backward slash. So you remove the backward slash and add horizontal lines to form the "Z". On the black background (1984) version, it seems easier, but I don't think this is as easy as bit-mapping on the 2600. I hope it is, but not sure. If someone else can do it, a gold star for you (you could win a TV). I think the graphics data is all in $8000 on this.

Nah, it's not quite as easy as the 2600 but it's not too difficult either. It's really only the sprites with more than 3 colors (ala Bentley Bear) and 320 mode sprites that become a pain, but even those are quite doable.

I've got you covered on that. I don't personally care for a "Z" but it should be really easy and I've got a good idea for it so I'll do it once I'm home. (I say that in the general sense. I won't be home'ish till Monday and I'll be home-home on Thursday. I may do it on one of those. If I end up not having time, then I'll do it once I'm at my new home in mid-to-late April). I'll also change the colors of the title screen and look into the colors for explosions.

Edited by KevinMos3

OK Bakasama, got it. We want to add red - using the arcade video sample I can see what could be done.

It turns out I goofed about the red. I just played a game of this and there's IS a red color but I was just focused on the bullets. However, I think it's possible to red and blue to the bullets to make them a little less dull looking.

Well, don't worry it. I might make some mockups in the meantime.

Here's a title screen edit of Xevious (a little more like the arcade). I used the hacked version from above so this has invincibility. I can add this title to the standard rom if people like it.

I haven't looked into the explosions or shots to see what was said about more red. I'll need to take time to play the arcade soon. However, just by looking at the 7800 version, I would guess that the bullets share colors with the Salvou (player ship). So you wouldn't want that to be red. A separate color table could probably be added for the bullets though.

post-9364-0-55960800-1362980494_thumb.png

Xevious (Title Edit-Cheat).a78

If you think it would look better done differently, let me know. If you have ideas, it would be especially helpful to share a mockup.

Oh, btw... here's a mockup of the idea I said I had for "Zevious." I really don't like how it turned out, so unless someone has a better mockup idea, I don't think I'll spend my time implementing this one.

post-9364-0-21328400-1362981277_thumb.png

Edited by KevinMos3
  • Like 1

I can you find all the Sol Citadels?

I don't know what those are. Can you elaborate? I didn't realize the flags were from Rally-X either. That's interesting.

BTW, when I said the rom I uploaded was "the hacked version from above" I meant the first post of this thread, not the post directly above mine. There was some crossover there and I didn't see Walter's post until after I posted mine. I just wanted to clear that up in case that caused any confusion.

Here's a title screen edit of Xevious (a little more like the arcade). I used the hacked version from above so this has invincibility. I can add this title to the standard rom if people like it.

I haven't looked into the explosions or shots to see what was said about more red. I'll need to take time to play the arcade soon. However, just by looking at the 7800 version, I would guess that the bullets share colors with the Salvou (player ship). So you wouldn't want that to be red. A separate color table could probably be added for the bullets though.

If you think it would look better done differently, let me know. If you have ideas, it would be especially helpful to share a mockup.

Oh, btw... here's a mockup of the idea I said I had for "Zevious." I really don't like how it turned out, so unless someone has a better mockup idea, I don't think I'll spend my time implementing this one.

post-9364-0-21328400-1362981277_thumb.png

Hi Kevin

Sorry,but i had no screen,how ZEVIOUS looks like :( .So my screen is not the best,but better than nothing.But your XEVIOUS titlescreen looks great,so it should be easy to change it for the 7800 :)

greetings Walter

Very close to the arcade! :)

I would be glad if you can add this title to the standard rom. Thank you.

Here is a minor update. I put the new title screen into the standard rom and edited some of the colors to match the arcade colors a little more closely (interpreted). The Salvalou has been mildly altered in accordance with arcade interpretation as well. The two rom variations are just different dirt colors. The "alt" is the original dirt and the other uses "18" as the color instead of "F9". I don't like any of the new color palettes -- no offense to Trebor -- (I currently strongly disagree about the amount of orange in some regions of the palettes), and until I get back home later this week and can see the game on a CRT again, I'm keeping this project open. I'll post again when I decide on a final dirt color.

post-9364-0-75998700-1363063316_thumb.png post-9364-0-21020900-1363063316_thumb.png

Xevious (Title+Color Edit).a78

Xevious (Title+Color Edit).bin

Xevious (Title+Color Edit alt).a78

In the meantime, here is a bookmark file for Hex Workshop. Many color locations are noted (at least all the ones I either changed or thought about changing), so you can easily change them as you desire. The bookmark is for the rom without the header (in other words, the "bin" file). Just be sure to re-sign the binary with either a78sign.exe or sign7800.exe after editing.

Xevious HW Bookmark.zip

P.S.

I left the "Game Over" background color green "D3" because the arcade just puts that text over the play screen (which is mostly green), but I really think it should be black to look more fitting. I may change that later. The color location is included in the bookmark.

• Like 2

I don't like any of the new color palettes -- no offense to Trebor -- (I currently strongly disagree about the amount of orange in some regions of the palettes), and until I get back home later this week and can see the game on a CRT again,

No offense is taken, my friend. Keep in mind the E$-F$ and even D$ region slightly (over a long period of time) are the ones that will go from a greener color to more redder (Or what may be seen as "orange") as a result of more red than green as the system "heats up". The 1$ region is not impacted and is essentially the same exact colors as an unaltered F$ (Phase Shift 25.7). Colors 1 & 15 match per factory defaults.

I'm trying to help avoid some frustration with this as HammR25 noted regarding the Tank Command color hack, it wasn't until his system 'warmed up' did he start to see the colors as intended.

Also, I think playing on an LCD/Plasma for a while might make some accustomed to a different set of colors for the 7800 or how we may believe the palette/game should look like...Just look at the difference in Commando alone.

Sadly, many of the YouTube videos have people (when playing on the actual hardware), recording it from an LCD/Plasma/LED and it makes the 7800 palette look pretty bad for many games.

On the other side of the coin, for a display with a heavy red push, or if you output the palette to a CRT, keep in mind you are likely going to want to reference the "RAW" palette more so than the "YIQ" converted ones. The YIQ (Which the final palettes are based upon) incorporates the changes that would occur on a typical CRT display, but not on a Plasma/LCD/LED,

Note the differences (Same accurate base values - I.E. Phase Shift 25.7, Saturation 22, etc)

post-18-0-85906700-1363092806_thumb.pngpost-18-0-95655900-1363092813_thumb.png

The left is RAW the right is RAW converted to YIQ.

Along this topic and lines, no offense to any with them, but many displays in consumer hands for PC's are TN panels - which are absolutely horrible (relatively speaking) for color reproduction. A good IPS panel will display colors properly.

Additionally, a good CRT will have a greater gamma (2.30,2.35-2.50,2.55) than your typical modern PC display (1.80-2.20), your reference point should be more FINAL_G or FINAL_G-X:

post-18-0-41374300-1363093221_thumb.pngpost-18-0-56611500-1363093222_thumb.png

A full range of gamma and saturation palettes have been created based on the technically accurate data, but only posted about half to two-thirds of them due to lack of demand/need for them as far as can be seen.

As mentioned in the other thread, I actually prefer an even redder (Or the colors you're referring to more orange) palette. But to achieve that you have to bump the Phase Shift past 25.7, (I like the 26.7-27.7 range a lot).

Many months have been spent - often several hours in a day on this across multiple 7800 systems (2 composite and 2 RF systems) along with a few different CRT's and a few Plasma and LCD displays. But most importantly is the documented research and incorporating what is technically correct and factory set/default.

Note too though, there is a variable resistor which may influence the color/phase shift so of course you will have variety even there. Regardless, you still have a 'standard' an 'average' based upon the original system configuration and design specs, which many if not the vast majority of systems would adhere to or come very close to it.

Less red (orange), you are looking at a Phase Shift of less than 25.7. What is posted as final color palettes is first and foremost technically sound and accurate. Along with that variations have been posted to assist with accommodating variety. Working off those palettes though anyone can certainly manipulate them to their liking.

Back on track - Awesome work with Xevious - love the new title. All around I love the collaboration being seen here. Thanks for starting this up Blue Azure!

Aw crap, Kevin...I told you I would get this out and forgot about it. My bad. Here is the 7800 on an average LCD, plain and with a 50% saturation boost. Don't want to take any more of this thread up, but hoping it catches your attention quickest here and can help you with this color hack.

NTSC_A7800_FINAL_LCD_PALETTES.zip

Here are their color charts - Plain on left - Saturation boost on the right:

post-18-0-97623100-1363098157_thumb.pngpost-18-0-34300500-1363098159_thumb.png

Let me know if you need/want any tweaking with them.

EDIT: Crap x2...Yeah, I forgot that I already custom tweaked based on feedback you gave me previously. Here are the LCD custom tweaked ones. Again let me know what you think or if you need anything further regarding palettes...

NTSC_A7800_FINAL_LCDKEV_PALETTES.zip

Edited by Trebor