IGNORED

Is the IDE PLUS 2.0 still available (not at Lotharek)

Marius

Hi!

Yesterday I asked Lotharek if he still offers IDE PLUS 2.0 for sale, but he is only selling SIDE 2.

Although I still am thinking of purchasing SIDE 2 (I think this is a very cool device!) , I'm looking for a small and versatile harddisk interface, that works on stock atari and is extremely compatible (using a soft OS like in MyIDE is not extremely compatible) and I'm not seeking for a device here that can handle .XEX files.

I want to be able to create partitions, and use MyDOS and SpartaDos 3.3a (not SDX).

I think IDE PLUS 2.0 is a very good choice. I now have MyIDE, MyIDE 2 and Blackbox.

The interface should work as compatible as possible on stock, unmodified atari. BlackBox is winner at the moment in my setup, but that is a huge device (when it comes to dimensions). So I thought about IDE PLUS 2.0 ... so, is it still available? I would like to order a few...

Greetz

M.

• Like 1

> Although I still am thinking of purchasing SIDE 2 (I think this is a very cool device!) , I'm looking for a small and versatile harddisk interface, that works on stock atari and is extremely compatible (using a soft OS like in MyIDE is not extremely compatible) and I'm not seeking for a device here that can handle .XEX files. <

Hi Marius-

When you say "using a soft OS..." are you referring to a ram OS or custom OS -- maybe both? I presume that you want to be able to use the same device on several different computers without putting a MyIDE OS in eprom in every one, hence the issue with a ram OS? I've grown very fond of not having a PBI device sticking out the back of the computer, so I love the internal MyIDE. But that still poses the problem of portability.

Too bad about the IDE+2 -- thought Lotherak was going to continue to sell them.

-Larry

Hey Larry,

It's exact what you write... since a while I'm totally into unmodified atari's. It feels fabulous to have access to a very large stock of original equipment. But... ofcourse I still want to use modern 'solutions' ... and high compatibility. As soon as I have to use an EPROM inside my Atari, I am stuck to that atari (or I have to modify my complete collection). I don't want to do that.

At this moment I'm only using FAT32 loader on MyIDE II interface and for the rest I'm using original floppy disks again, and ofcourse SIC carts.

So I'm interested in something different now... so that's why I want to buy a few IDE+ 2.0 interfaces.

• Like 1

5V are easily brought to the corresponding pin of the PBI with a small wire, no need to go to the Joyport.

I want to be as portible as possible (so no alterations to my atari) ... so for me that probably will be a lead to the Joystickport.

I have a spare IDE + 2.0, only need one. If you still need one, you can get that one from me.

That is awesome. I'll PM you!

Thanks!

Marius

I want to be as portible as possible (so no alterations to my atari) ... so for me that probably will be a lead to the Joystickport.

That is awesome. I'll PM you!

Thanks!

Marius

You could use a spare XE cartridge and connect the 8 wires from the IDE+ to the cartridge for power and other signals to get full use on the 800XL.

I used an extra Fight Night cart so that I can use my IDE+ on both 800XL or 130XE :)

You could use a spare XE cartridge and connect the 8 wires from the IDE+ to the cartridge for power and other signals to get full use on the 800XL.

I used an extra Fight Night cart so that I can use my IDE+ on both 800XL or 130XE :)

It wasn't mentioned which version of the IDE+ 2.0 he was acquiring, the early one(Revision A I believe) doesn't have the extra header for connecting the cartridge port signals not present on the PBI of the XL machines.

Even when I would have to 'stick to xe' with this IDE interface, that is ok for me. I have a zillion XE computers, most of them in excellent condition.

As long as it works great on a stock xl/xe OS I'd be more than happy to use it. In the meantime I indeed have one great offer, so I will be in the great position of testing this interface out. If it is what I need... I will search for more of these great interfaces.

It's so stupid: when the IDE+ 2.0 was in production I thought: hmm let's order a stack of these, but then I thought ... I can not go for everything, and that was also the time where I was into modifying my atari's a lot. I want a versatile and compatible solution that works on unmodified xl/xe... or xe only, that's ok too.

I have ofcourse my fabulous black box.... this one is just doing that.... but it is huge. Not very portable.

I could go for the great MIO metalguy66 is offering, looks pretty cool to me too... but again it is huge.

I could go for the SIDE 2.... but that needs Ultimate 1MB to do what I want (although I love SIDE 2, and I'm very enthusiastic about Ultimate 1MB... so I probably go for SIDE 2 too).

I could stick with MyIDE I or ][ . Hmmm.... The MyIDE ][ cart has a few amazing features, but to be compatible as harddisk interface, it needs a modification again (an alternative OS). This alternative OS is doing a nice job (although it still has a few annoying, and unneeded limitations).

Another benefit (for me) of the BlackBox and the MyIDE I carts is that I can repair them myself, for as long as I live (unless my house burns down). All other equipment is harder for me to repair. I am not skilled in SMD-soldering, and some parts do probably have not public firmware so repairing is anyway hard/impossible. (Like some parts in MyIDE ][) ... I am aware that IDE+ 2.0 is not fixable for me personally I guess.

Does IDE+ 2.0 have components with 'secret' firmware code (like GAL / CPLD chips?) or is this firmware code public? (With other words: when I create a well organised archive of this, and I find someone in future who can do smd soldering, would he we able to repair my IDE+ 2.0 interface? Then I could stick with just one...)

thanks for all info

M.

p.s. why am I so 'neurotic' about having spares? It's rather simple: I really enjoy this... and I have had a few moments in atari life that something got defect, and I could not replace it because it became obsolete. I try to prevent that ;)

I have never seen any of the rev. B devices, but they are very few too, and there is very little chance of getting one when considering the quantity of rev. C production.

I am not sure if it is completely clear: all IDE+ revisions work fine with both XE and XL machines, just on XL, when the additional signals are not connected, the on-board cartridge slot will not be active and the internal cartridge ROM will also be off (because cartridge control signals are missing on the XL's PBI).

As far as I know, IDE+ contains no GALs or other programmable components (except flash ROMs for software).

And indeed, IDE+ seems to be the only storage device which is simultaneously: a) small, b) fully PBI compliant, c) does not need any computer modding.

• Like 1