IGNORED

Emulators - what controllers?

ilaskey

Just wondering what people who play via an emulator use as a controller? Any recommendations? I find my real 8bit looks dreadful on an LCD TV so I'm maybe better playing on the PC via an emulator.

I'm playing with my old Competition Pro. Of course, that requires an adaptor, and support in the emulator. Atari++ includes support for the "El Cheapo" adapter that basically connects the four directions of the digital joystick to the four buttons of the PC gameport, plus the joystick to one of the analog inputs via a simple resistor network. Works great.

If that doesn't work because I'm playing on my laptop, there is a mouse emulation that works fairly well (directional moves of the mouse become joystick moves), and there is a also a keyboard emulation via the numeric pad. Both are pretty bad compromizes, and which of them works better depends on the game.

A true analog PC joystick would also work, but I don't have any, and the old Competition Pro works best for me.

There are many options.

2 new Atari joystick clones (can be used with original equipment) + USB adapter for 2 joysticks eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3706441355311?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=370644135531&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]...

USB adapter for 2 joysticks if you've already got plenty of Atari compatible joysticks...

Of course, you could get a Stelladapter (or similar) and one of those would work with any of your existing Atari compatible sticks...

Logitech USB pad.

Beat me to it ;)

There are also Sega Saturn USB game pads available on Amazon and eBay. I've got both the "official" Sega ones and generics, they've both worked fine and held up to my use.

My favorite is the X-Arcade Tankstick.

I have a MAJOR problem with my Stelladapter 2600 to USB adapter by Atariage Pixels past.

Whatever I playing on my Altirra with my regular "Atari" Joystick such as Slik Stik or TAC-2. It always always delay like 1/4 second late for any turn left, right , up or down.

Is my problem with my Tower PC or just itself Stellaadapter (version 1) ???

Yeah I was looking at those yesterday as it happens, they look brilliant, when I get some spare cash I may just invest although spare cash these days is a rarity.

I may have a spare if you are interested

Did you ever request a pair of replacement handles?

The older design has been completely upgraded, new plastics designs, stronger and even better quality than before. Especially the handles which have gone back to the corkscrew installation method and also the fire button design has been completely done over to match the original Atari CX-40's perfectly. The Retrobit is nice, but then you still have to have a good pair of joysticks to use with it, and the Classic 2's work with Windows, OSX and Linux systems. Plus there is a jumper on the inside board that can change it from dual joysticks to keyboard mode to have the joysticks look and act like keyboard key presses which is good for use with web browser based games or games that only allow keyboard key inputs.

I have a pair, but they keep falling apart (the handle comes loose at the worst moments).

I much prefer the Retro-bit USB adaptor with real joysticks - however I've heard they don't work with the Mac OS.

I use my trusty Xbox360 controller with Altirra, really nice joystick with a wealth of buttons to config and Avery has kindly setup the controller internally to do lots of stuff.

Can you tell me how you are doing this? I was trying to plug in my 360 controller to my linux laptop and use the USB cable. But it keeps trying to turn on my 360 when I am using it. Is it Windows only?

I have the Retro-Bit adapter for my real CX-40 joysticks and Curt's USB joysticks. Both are excellent! If you have working CX-40's or Epyx sticks, the Retro-bit option is cheaper. I've had no problem with Curt's original USB stick and like that the handle comes off for storage. The option I think is the best would be the 2600daptor II. It works for joysticks and paddle controllers. I guess I forgot how many good paddle games there are on the 8-bit and 2600. The 2600daptor II can be used for both Stella and Altirra. If Curt would make a USB paddle controller for $20, I'd buy four or five.

Can you tell me how you are doing this? I was trying to plug in my 360 controller to my linux laptop and use the USB cable. But it keeps trying to turn on my 360 when I am using it. Is it Windows only?

I believe Windows only as its an MS product.

Thanks all. Looks like Xbox controller is my best bet, mainly because a lot of stuff like the retrobit options don't seem to be available in the UK although I may have missed a vendor. Tempted by Curt's ones but the Xbox ones having mapping to the START/OPTION etc buttons swings it.