IGNORED

ICD Catbox Question

Willard

The CatBox also allows the connection of a television and an RGB monitor at the same time. It provides for simple networking -- for those games that support it (only Doom at the moment) -- using telephone cables, as well as a serial-port connection and S-Video output.

I got this off of a website. Does this mean that doom can be played through the phoneline if both ends have a catbox? How many people can doom support? Are their any other games that use catbox?

The CatBox also allows the connection of a television and an RGB monitor at the same time. It provides for simple networking -- for those games that support it (only Doom at the moment) -- using telephone cables, as well as a serial-port connection and S-Video output.

I got this off of a website. Does this mean that doom can be played through the phoneline if both ends have a catbox? How many people can doom support? Are their any other games that use catbox?

They don't make Catboxes anymore, and used ones sell for $200-$300 on ebay.

Forget the Catbox, buy the Scatbox. It's less expensive and better. You should hurry though, the Deluxe is already sold out and judging from past experience, Scatologic products sell out quick and normally have very low production runs.

Jason

Yeah I totally agree with jason, actually jason sold me on it .I was in the market to buy a jaglink, and av cable set for my jag, and since it has all that and even more it in my books seems a worth while buy. I just wish I would of acted faster and got the clear ones, they look pretty slick. But oh well something is better than nothing. And from reading stuff on the net, it seems to be a very well built unit, and is a great piece to add to any jag collection. Now my dream of trying out the networked doom will be a reality soon enough. Also I am hoping to score another battlesphere and get some battlesphere networking going.

To actually answer the original questions... Doom will do 2 player networking only, in co-op or deathmatch modes, via Jaglink, Catbox, Scatbox, or Jaglink2 (I believe). Although generally the connections are made via "[us] phone cable", it dosnt meen actual phone lines like a modem, it just meens the cable and connectors. I believe the maximum distance you can get the cables to work reliably is a few hunded meters if using nicely shielded cable, but where's the fun if your in different rooms and cant insult each other?

To actually answer the original questions... Doom will do 2 player networking only, in co-op or deathmatch modes, via Jaglink, Catbox, Scatbox, or Jaglink2 (I believe). Although generally the connections are made via "[us] phone cable", it dosnt meen actual phone lines like a modem, it just meens the cable and connectors. I believe the maximum distance you can get the cables to work reliably is a few hunded meters if using nicely shielded cable, but where's the fun if your in different rooms and cant insult each other?

Here's a list of a few of the features of the ScatBox™. Note that it explicitly states that it is guaranteed to work up to 1/2 mile away!

ScatNet™ Multi-Console Network (Requires 1 ScatBox™ or Catbox for each node)

JUGS/Jag-Link Compatible RS-232 Serial Port

15,000V protected communications ports (Human body model static discharge)

Analog RGB Output with Monophonic Audio Signal

RCA Style Line Level Stereo Audio Outputs

Composite Video Output

S-Video Output

Catbox compatible ScatNet™ networking

Serial Port Auto-Select

Serial Port Auto-Duplex

Built-In Hardware Keylock to prevent future ScatoLOGIC software from being Emulated.

Internal Network Termination with Noise Filtering

Full Color Printed Box with custom insert

Full Color Stylish Faceplate with legend

Extended Range Network (128 consoles over 1/2 mile range)

Professionally Printed Manual

Colorful LED Status Indicators with Self-Test and Duplex Indication

Internal Network Termination with Noise Filtering

Thunderboard™Anti-Interferance shielded multi-layer circuit board with silkscreen

Non-Slip, Non-Skid, Non-Scratch rubber feet

Here's a list of a few of the features of the ScatBox™. Note that it explicitly states that it is guaranteed to work up to 1/2 mile away!

Ok now thats pretty sweet.

Still, whats the point if your not in the same room and cant mock your opponent when you use a pistol, a barrel, and a pit of steaming ooze in combination? 8)

Forget the Catbox, buy the Scatbox.  It's less expensive and better.  You should hurry though, the Deluxe is already sold out and judging from past experience, Scatologic products sell out quick and normally have very low production runs.  

Jason

Forget the Catbox?!? I like the Scatbox but I still prefer the Catbox mainly due to the rarity factor. And you gotta love the metal chassis! :)

Forget the Catbox, buy the Scatbox.  It's less expensive and better.  You should hurry though, the Deluxe is already sold out and judging from past experience, Scatologic products sell out quick and normally have very low production runs.  

Jason

Forget the Catbox?!? I like the Scatbox but I still prefer the Catbox mainly due to the rarity factor. And you gotta love the metal chassis! :)

I totally agree, the catbox looks so much cooler. Not that I don't like the Scatbox, I just can't get into the way the Scatbox is designed. The way it looks like a cart stuck in the back of the system just looks weird.

I totally agree, the catbox looks so much cooler. Not that I don't like the Scatbox, I just can't get into the way the Scatbox is designed. The way it looks like a cart stuck in the back of the system just looks weird.

You must be thinking of some other type of Catbox. The Catbox for the Atari Jaguar system is a ill-fitting heavy steel clunker that fails to look like it belongs connected to a jaguar in nay fashion whatsoever.

The ScatBox was designed to be a sleek and stylish matching component which fits perfectly yet is lightweight and safe for your fine furniture.

post-976-1055387371_thumb.jpg

I agree with superdork That looks kind of freaky, a cartridge in the front and back :ponder: Hey, its better than nothing :D The catbox does kind of look a little odd, why is it called the catbox, it looks more like a hammer?

That picture is fake, the Catbox doesn't look like a hammer.

Jason

I wasn't referring to looks, although honestly, I do prefer the Scatbox in looks as well. Just my personal opinion. :) For the price, it's just so much cheaper and a WHOLE lot easier to get than the Catbox (at least for now).

Jason

My concern (with the cartshell design (as others) is that the cables are all forced to do a 90º bend just after exiting the Jag. This looks like it could damage your cables if you were using a JagCD for example.

Other than that, I'll agree it does look nice, and I'm sure it's very useful if you have multiple copis of BS :)

Stone

Archived