IGNORED

Sadistroids (was: Asteroids Turbo)

Thomas Jentzsch

Did you alter the trajectories for the asteroids as well?

I am currently disassembling Asteroids. Yesterday I found that code that is responsible for the horizontal speed of the asteroids.

In the original version a slow asteroid moves horizontally every 7th frame and a fast one every 3rd. I have now changed those numbers to every 2nd and every frame. :twisted:

So this is about the upper limit which can be hacked into the existing code. I guess it's a bit too tough to handle. Maybe we have to find an acceptable compromise there (e.g. 3 or 4 and 2).

BTW: The vertical speed is unchanged.

• Like 1

Speaking of your Amidar hacks.. I JUST tried them prior to moving. Poor Amidar is far too slow in comparison to those darn dirty cannibals! :D I don't remember the arcade having that type of ratio between the players speed and the enemies ;)

Oh well.. guess I'll try out variation 2 later on :)

Did you alter the trajectories for the asteroids as well?

I am currently disassembling Asteroids. Yesterday I found that code that is responsible for the horizontal speed of the asteroids.

In the original version a slow asteroid moves horizontally every 7th frame and a fast one every 3rd. I have now changed those numbers to every 2nd and every frame. :twisted:

So this is about the upper limit which can be hacked into the existing code. I guess it's a bit too tough to handle. Maybe we have to find an acceptable compromise there (e.g. 3 or 4 and 2).

Leave it the way it is, sure it's hard, but I like it that way!

Leave it the way it is, sure it's hard, but I like it that way!

Really? How far did you get?

I thought is is too hard, especially when there are 8 large Asteroids after you reached 15,000 points. Nearly impossible for me then.

Looks like I am really getting old... :ponder: :)

BTW: Anything else in Asteroids that is still too slow? :twisted:

Hi there!

I am currently disassembling Asteroids.

Cool :thumbsup:

Did you already find how/if it prevents deadlocks in the player respawning code?

I always wondered if it could possibly deadlock with many objects onscreen, especially with your versions altering the horizontal angles...

Greetings,

Manuel

Did you already find how/if it prevents deadlocks in the player respawning code?

No, I am still at the beginning of understanding the code.

The (software!) collision detection is the most complex thing I have ever seen in a 2600 game so far. I guess the game would have easily fitted into 4K if Brad Stewart could have used the hardware instead.

I always wondered if it could possibly deadlock with many objects onscreen, especially with your versions altering the horizontal angles...

Hm, since I always play the shield version I probably would never notice that. So maybe you want to try if that can happend now? :)

Hi there!

The (software!) collision detection is the most complex thing I have ever seen in a 2600 game so far. I guess the game would have easily fitted into 4K if Brad Stewart could have used the hardware instead.

Well, no chance to do that with all objects flickering. One half of the Asteroids would flicker asynchron with your shots and so you can never hit them.

But I can't imagine it being that complicated. I assume he found a way of turning this "normal" problem into rocket sience? 8)

Greetings,

Manuel

Well, no chance to do that with all objects flickering. One half of the Asteroids would flicker asynchron with your shots and so you can never hit them.

Actually all asteroids flicker asynchron with your shots (and ship, ufos)

And only software detection made the vector-hacks possible at all. :)

But I can't imagine it being that complicated. I assume he found a way of turning this "normal" problem into rocket sience? 8)

I don't know. Maybe his code is only looking complicated until I understand it better. But currently large parts are still mysterious too me. :)

• 2 weeks later...