IGNORED

IK+ progress?

Wrathchild

If you check the IK+ web site, the lastest build is from july 16th 2002 so it's been 14 months without an update. The project is probably not dead but these guys need help more than anything else.

Also on:

http://www.atari8bit-software.de/index_e.htm

There is an International Karate 2 but no idea what is the difference with the first one.

Also, I only get the background music when I play World Karate Championship. Anybody knows how to activate the music on the International Karate release ?

From the Hollywood Bizarro World (hello arnie)

AB.

In the UK there was a magazine called Retro (published by Edge magazine's publisher's future publishing) that, as far as I know, only launced two issues. The first issue, from about a year or so ago, had a feature on Archer Maclean and his latest venture into restoring coin-op cabinets. He's interviewed about an enhanced version of Dropzone:

"In 1985 I was approached by an amusement company who wanted to turn the Atari 800 home computer version of Dropzone into a real-life money-taking arcade cabinet... I took the Atari version of the code (which was way better than the heavily cut-down C64 version) and added arcade-style ramp-ups, and coin-slot logic, credits messages, and an extended attract sequence, and so on..."

The game was put into an old Defender cabinet and was tested in Luton, England, where it did good business. Unfortunately, due to the slowdown of the arcade business, it proved too expensive to put into production. But Archer Maclean then went on to say:

"I still have that code and just recently I've been making up a brand-new 2002 arcade cabinet in the shape of the classic Atari cab style of '82, and it's nearly there. It uses the original Atari 800 hardware within the cab... I might do a batch of ten or so... Arcade Dropzone will rise from the ashes yet".

And somewhere on the internet I came across an article (can't remember the address, I'm afraid) that suggested Maclean had coded unreleased versions of some arcade games (can't recall the titles, but I think they may have been Defender and Robotron) but didn't release them due to not having the licenses.

More interestingly, on the C64 site Games That Weren't, there was talk of a followup to IK+ called International Karate Deluxe: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/frank.gasking/

• 3 years later...
But Archer Maclean then went on to say:

"I still have that code and just recently I've been making up a brand-new 2002 arcade cabinet in the shape of the classic Atari cab style of '82, and it's nearly there. It uses the original Atari 800 hardware within the cab... I might do a batch of ten or so... Arcade Dropzone will rise from the ashes yet".

Arcade Dropzone sounds good. Edited by Math You

• 4 months later...

Did you see the version of dropzone that was a freebie (i.e. hidden away) in the saturn version of Jimmy White's cueball2...made me dig out my a8 and play that one

also to andy bernstein...I think i saw Kemal on a8 stand at one of the last AMS shows (in stafford, UK) or am i getting mixed up with freddy/die offenger (of ANG fame)

• 4 months later...
Looks really good, but crashes for me in the emulator after a short while.

Me too (in less than a minute). Looks fantastic though until it does! :cool: :D

After ~30 seconds the game freezes but if you press start you can continue (.atr version + Atari800WinPlus4.0).

Edited by Philsan

• 5 months later...
After ~30 seconds the game freezes but if you press start you can continue (.atr version + Atari800WinPlus4.0).

That's what is supposed to happen in this demo, isn't it? You can continue play until 20,000 points are on the board. Each round lasts 30 seconds.

The game is very promising. I missed the May 2008 update somehow, and I'm glad to see it back on track :-)

Regards,

Shaun.

• 2 years later...

Good news! New update 2.84

http://www.uce.pl/ikplus/downloads.html

Build 0284:

1. Added gong and ball sounds (for 'deflecting balls' round).

2. Introduced NTSC compliance. It required disabling dolphin and double-bird background animations when music is on.

3. Corrected tempo of sound track (removed irregularities existing in original C64 player).

4. Keyboard handler temporarily enhanced for sound testing (keys B, G, F).