IGNORED

Storm Works Interactive

TheGrandPubaa

Hi !

Sorry to burst your bubble...

"Stormworks Interactive" was just one person actually. eXtreme-rush.

Sadly he had the bad habit to announce a project as soon as he had an idea...

When I started Jag dev I used to "work" with him a bit. However I did most work and he just announced the projects without even telling me.

The problem was that neither me, nor him had ANY coding experience back then. After I saw that he announced and promoted the projects without even asking or mentioning me, I soon jumped off the train and started to learn and develop on my own.

It's actually a VERY long story, but to sum it up shortly, he never got very far in jag dev. He didn't even learn the basics of 68k coding properly and he just got his "demos" done by cutting and pasting existing codes or asking others.

However there is a point where you can't take code by others and have to do something yourself and that was where he failed. His projects never got far.

"Hard Corps" was one of those. He announced it as a "contra" clone and he said he came up with the name... Funny however if you look at the genesis version being called "Contra: Hardcorps" ;)

So I guess you can figure how much he came up with on his own.

Arkanna was another story... He said he wanted to do it "myst like" however he only used the standard atari bpeg example. the graphics were created using the duke nukem 3D "build" editor... So basically duke nukem levels created and grabbed using the screenshot option to get graphics for "his" game ;) (which is not allowed by 3Drealms btw... the maps and graphics created with those tools had to be free, but I guess he didn't know or care about that)

The problem with his game was that it would never be possible the way he planned.

Everybody who did some jag coding knows why...

He just pasted the bpeg code into one file and checked the pad for directions... so no engine was coded just hard coded "press left, display picture 1".

Of course you can never create a real game that way.

Back then CD dev wasn't possible and even with bpeg it would be impossible to make that a full game on cart.

He also had a few other things in the works... including a space shooter called "zero" (to my surprise he came up with that shooter idea shortly after I showed him my jdc invader (working title of star alliance) project.

Coincidence ? Possibly but I think it's unlikely ;)

It never got beyond a buggy title screen.

As you can see this is a VERY long story. To sum it up shortly...

He gave up and started Jag dev several times (sold his dev stuff and bought it again a few times) DURING his projects.

His final effort was a "pong" demo, which never worked (black screen).

According to the text file, the demo was "playable except collision not being implemented" and that he was "not sure if it works on your system, I'm not even sure if it will work on my system when I try it again"

So basically a non working binary of a demo that was supposed to let you move an object. ;)

Ok, ok. Enough of this. I do not want to bash anybody. Maybe he wanted to do real jaguar development, but simply didn't get it done.

And I think he was too fast with annoucing his projects and forgot that he couldn't even program at that time. A very common mistake.

But at least there is one good thing about all this... It's a good lesson for new Jag developers. Jag dev should be taken very serious, otherwise you might end up giving it all up as well.

Whatever people think or say, game development is VERY difficult. I think nobody can create a good game from scratch without having done games before without spending enough time learning and developing.

However it finnally ended with him leaving the Jag scene 1-2 years ago and ultimately with his website being pulled off the web because he didn't pay for hosting anymore.

So you can be sure, the story is over.

Regards, Lars.

• Like 2

He also had a few other things in the works... including a space shooter called "zero" (to my surprise he came up with that shooter idea shortly after I showed him my jdc invader (working title of star alliance) project.

Coincidence ? Possibly but I think it's unlikely  ;)  

Dude... what madness are you talking about? You must not have been

playing the version I had because the one I was testing let you move a

triangle around the screen... (hmmmm, was I actually being serious?) ;)

Anyways... yea, it was kinda sad to see him not understand where he was wanting to go with everything. He put the Alpine up for auction on eBay and I had bid on it (and won) then he was like, nevermind I changed my mind. So like 2 weeks later he said he "changed" his mind _again_ and wanted to know if I still wanted it (which at the time I no longer had the spare cash) argh...

I even tried to do some graphics for him and ideas to contribute toward his project since I was also going to be beta testing it for him... (when he was actually still coding I guess? (snip./paste) but that obviously never

went anywhere.

As far as Jag coding goes, it's probably a good thing I never got the Alpine... as much as I would love to learn to code. I'm just more of a GFX/Music kinda guy and more into ideas then coding really.

:P

Coincidence ? Possibly but I think it's unlikely  ;)  

The version I have also includes a bugged-up 68K scroll routine and the Sinister sound routine ;)

Stone

ok ok! :P predators included.

i will add big billboards in iowa thats states that people cna get TRF for free :D (yeah animals can get TRF for free too :P)

i will even place one Giant bill board in front of megadatas house :D :P :twisted:.

• 1 month later...