IGNORED

JoustPong prototype Tourney

kisrael

I'm sure there will be more news on this when "Club Ninja" gets to updating the New England Classic Gamers page... but we had a JoustPong 'tourney, I think it was the 2003 September 16 (from http://alienbill.com/joustpong/ ) that Al had made into a cart for OKGE that was both the game and the prize.

16 players in all...I sat in to round it out, and won, though I only squeaked out a win by one point over Mike Wilson in the semifinal round. So I then put it up for a wild card between Christian (who hosts this ast his house) and Club Ninja (who organizes it) both of who got knocked out in the first round--Club Ninja was really jonesing for it, but lost 10-9 after pulling ahead 9-4, so Christian got the cart.

It was a surprisingly great spectator game, lots of excitement during the tight matches, a lot of groaning with the narrow misses that the game is famous for, then cheers at the end. It still strikes people as a really difficult game, but there were few blowouts. I think the way that the game's developer won (showing there is skill and practice involved not just luck) but didn't trounce everyone he played (showing it's not a trivially mastered game, and there is almost an element of "luck", or at least a hint of chaos) speaks well for the balance of the game.

I think all trademeets and the like should have at least one tourney for a real prize. They're pretty easy to organize (if you can figure out how to balance non-multiples-of-two) and everyone seems to have a good time. (I imagine the choice of game is important, something that has pretty quick rounds, and doesn't have too many total masters of lurking about.)

Nice recap, looking forward to this game.  I'm impressed with the computer AI as it is right now are you looking to tweak it anymore?  Though I can see this game being brought out more for 2 player fests like Warlords.

Not much in terms of plans to tweak the AI, though if I end up tweaking the physics, some times that modifies the AI's effectiveness.

(it's really dead simple...if you're below the ball, flap. This gets a lot of hits, but some misses too as it over shoots or can't recover from a rebound.)

Not much in terms of plans to tweak the AI, though if I end up tweaking the physics, some times that modifies the AI's effectiveness.

(it's really dead simple...if you're below the ball, flap. This gets a lot of hits, but some misses too as it over shoots or can't recover from a rebound.)

Yes, even simple AIs can be surprisingly convincing. :)

The whole "AI" of Gunfight is just completely random and here are some comments from people who tested the game for the 2003 minigame competition:

"Great Computer player! Wow!"

"excellent AI."

"Nice AI"

:D

it was a fun tourney! which of course made for some good action pictures

heres me in my "one moment in time" pose right after defeating clubninja, doesnt he look like a good loser? for some reason we were playing with those tiny amiga sticks, all proper since the game only requires you to use the flap/fire button.

nov03dg.jpg

there are more joust pong pics here in the nov.2 coverage, including some of kirk and a few screen shots

http://necg.cjb.net/

i'm proud to be the new owner of this one of a kind cart, and i'll be ready to defend my crown at next meet (practicing hard!). of course had kirk not have been in the running the outcome would have been different, i'll take my breaks when i can get em. usually the only prizes i get from hosting the trademeets are left over beers and cheeze puffs :) only behalf of myself and the still bitter clubninja we would like to thank you for bringing your game over. its a high bar but we're cautiously hoping to have some sorta homebrew element at every NECG meet, what will be next???

cant wait to see the "poorlords" version next time around!

Those tiny amiga sticks were one of the few matched sets I could find in that big box o' controller fun. But I loved those sticks back in the day...that were very responsive, because they had tiny "throw" distance or whatever it's called. And surprsingly comfortable.

i felt a little bad about changing the outcome of the tourney, and making it go to a wildcard w/ the guys who run the meet. In my defense, there was one match where I JUST sqeaked by, 10-9, so it wasn't like I totally ruled the floor. And I made it a nice even 16 anyway.