IGNORED

Forgotten Lynx Vaporware

Ze_ro

I posted about this in the Website Changes forum, but I got no replies to it, so more people here might be interested in this.

As everyone knows, there's a huge amount of stuff Atari never actually finished for the Lynx and Jaguar, and I have a couple of flyers that show a bunch of games that never came out, but that also aren't shown on AtariAge. If anyone has any information about the following games, I'd love to hear it. If anyone wants, I can probably scan in the relevant flyers to show people the games I'm talking about. Here's the list, excluding the proto's already mentioned on AA:

720 Degrees (Arcade port)

Blood & Guts Hockey (looks VERY preliminary)

Cabal (Arcade port)

Full Court Press (Basketball game)

Guardians: Storm Over Doria (RPG)

Heavyweight Contender (Boxing game)

Ninja Nerd (Platform game?)

Rolling Thunder (Arcade port)

One of the flyers also shows a game called "Grid Runner", which looks like an early version of Hyperdrome. Rolling Thunder appears in both flyers. It might also be worth mentioning that the flyers show additional screenshots for Vindicators, Daemon's Gate, Eye Of The Beholder, and Geo Duel.

--Zero

Thomas Schenck, who was one of the programmers of The Guardians: Storm over Doria, posted a very interesting message nearly two years ago in the Usenet newsgroup alt.games.lynx about that game. Click here to read the message on Google Groups. If this link doesn't work for any reason, then just do a search for an article posted on June 22, 2000 in the alt.games.lynx newsgroup, and it should turn up.

Grid Runner is the same game that became Hyperdrome. I think Ninja Nerd was eventually turned into Fat Bobby.

Other games you can add to that list are:

Alien vs. Predator

Eye Of The Beholder

Relief Pitcher

Vindicators

Some other nice ROMs that are partially completed and available online written by hobbyists include Lode Runner, Puzzler 2000, and Marble Madness.

I have many of those old Atari Lynx magazines and newsletters as well. It would be fun to go through all them and write down what was being advertised to Lynx users.

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

How far advanced was 720? I really was fond of it in the arcades, although I sucked at it. I might even pay for it if Songbird or another third party would develop it. I would be curious as to the controls because this is the ultimate spin game and the joystick was a reinforced spinning thing.

I don't suppose there's much chance of Songbird (or another company) getting Broderbund's permission to sell cartridges of Lode Runner... it's definitely a good version, and I'd love to get my hands on a copy.

--Zero