IGNORED

Question for Paul Slocum

Brad2600

Why does "Rock the Casbah" in Combat Rock sound so different from the version that I know? Were there limitations in implementing the music properly? Just curious. I do think it's a neat hack though. I gotta find another player and then it will be a lot better and more fun.

I gotta find another player and then it will be a lot better and more fun.

I think I heard that Activision Anthology, or one of the newly released classic archive type games has a prototype of a Combat that has computer AI, so that those of us who have no friends ((sniff)) can be entertained while sitting alone. I wonder if it would be possible to extract the binary from the GBA ROM (or whatever system it is for) and get it on VCS cartridge. I would LOVE to play Combat again.

ummmmmmm, k

I gotta find another player and then it will be a lot better and more fun.

I think I heard that Activision Anthology, or one of the newly released classic archive type games has a prototype of a Combat that has computer AI, so that those of us who have no friends ((sniff)) can be entertained while sitting alone. I wonder if it would be possible to extract the binary from the GBA ROM (or whatever system it is for) and get it on VCS cartridge. I would LOVE to play Combat again.

ummmmmmm, k

I don't think it was a proto, because somebody made a hack not too long ago with AI in it. If I remember correctly it was called Tank AI or something. Don't think it made it to cartrige yet though, but I do play it every once in a while, not really smart AI or anything. but it is better than playing it with the other tank just sitting there.

tankai_age_demo.zip

I think I heard that Activision Anthology, or one of the newly released classic archive type games has a prototype of a Combat that has computer AI, so that those of us who have no friends ((sniff)) can be entertained while sitting alone.

Combat AI is not on the Activision Anthology, but it has been discussed here on AtariAge.

..Al

Back to the original question, please?

I would like to know why the song sounds sped up. Just out of curiousity.

I plan to buy more original homebrews and hacks soon though.

I Suspect it is due to the limited amount of tempo's available in his music driver.

"EDIT"

Which in itself is a limitation of the atari!

Yeah, it would be impossible to make it sound exactly the same. Not to go off topic again, but if you listen to the thrust music for the C64 that was converted to the 2600, you will find a lot of it is lost. You still get a basic beat and music. I haven't heard the Combat rock music, but I think the thrust music is great. :)

The music driver usually only updates once per frame, so the selection of even tempos is limited. My latest driver supports a lot more values by using slightly uneven tempos.

The 2600 only has two sound channels, so it's difficult to do music -- especially with drums. And that was the first 2600 song I did, so I didn't know as many tricks then.

-paul