IGNORED

What are Intellivision overlays made out of????

I don't completely know, but I've heard you can make a pretty good copy by printing onto inkjet-transparencies (mirror the image, since you'll have to look at it from the "shiny" side), and then using 3 or 4 coats of white spray paint on the "back" of it.

Mattel might have used a similar process, although with silk-screening instead of inkjet printers.

--Zero

I remember the overlays on Imagic's Beauty And The Beast were made from a different material than regular Mattel overlays. It felt cheaply made, like it might tear at any moment. I never used it anyway. I always keep my overlays in a little sports card collector's clear plastic case.

I remember the overlays on Imagic's Beauty And The Beast were made from  a different material than regular Mattel overlays. It felt cheaply made, like it might tear at any moment. I never used it anyway. I always keep my overlays in a little sports card collector's clear plastic case.
Yah. Imagic used a matte finish, and thinner cards too I think.