IGNORED

What, no more multicarts?

rayik

I was fortunate enough to get a 5200 multicart 2 years ago. Saw one on ebay recently going for almost $300. That made no sense, so I went to the site where I got mine.

Guess what, not available anymore. For "personal use only" notes the site.

What gives? Did some organization complain? Is there really a company bothered by distribution of games from 1983 - 1985? I thought the person who created the multicart deserved what they asked for it. It took time and them money to make them.

Does anyone know what happened to the multicarts? Are they going to make a comeback some day?

I was fortunate enough to get a 5200 multicart 2 years ago.  Saw one on ebay recently going for almost $300.  That made no sense, so I went to the site where I got mine.

Guess what, not available anymore.  For "personal use only" notes the site.

What gives?  Did some organization complain?   Is there really a company bothered by distribution of games from 1983 - 1985?  I thought the person who created the multicart deserved what they asked for it.  It took time and them money to make them.  

Does anyone know what happened to the multicarts?  Are they going to make a comeback some day?

They're still around, actually better than the older ones. The old ones were made by Sean Kelly. He stopped making them (I assume) because of copyright issues. Specificially Activision who, yes is apparently concerned you might buy the multicart rather than the goofy handheld plug into the TV games you can buy now from any store.

AtariAge user classics is selling them, originally through www.bidiots.com but I haven't seen one for about a week now. I ordered one and it is on the way....hopefully I'll have it by Wednesday and I'll certainly let you know how it plays.

new from the makers, $125-150. It would be cool if classics keeps making them for folks because when I didn't need my multicart anymore last year it also got bid up to $300 on eBay. Supply and demand, I wanted a little bit more than the $125 I paid for it and offered it to folks here at AA for just a few bucks more than that but no takers but quite a few eBay folks bidding them up high.

They're still around, actually better than the older ones. The old ones were made by Sean Kelly.

That's the one I have. It has dip switches to change games. He did come out with a different one with software switching.

He stopped making them (I assume) because of copyright issues. Specificially Activision who, yes is apparently concerned you might buy the multicart rather than the goofy handheld plug into the TV games you can buy now from any store.

I can understand that yes, a copyright is a copyright, with protections. If activision came out with a plug in unit that featured some of their 5200 games I can theoretically see where activision could believe it may impact sales. But at some point I would think there is no value to the property being defended. The game roms (including activision's) are so easy to find on the web. (Which doesn't mean it is right.)

They're still around, actually better than the older ones.

How are the new ones better?

They're still around, actually better than the older ones. The old ones were made by Sean Kelly.

That's the one I have. It has dip switches to change games. He did come out with a different one with software switching.

Bet yours isn't as old as mine. My sk multicart has a white paper label and some of the game listings are wrong/not listed :lol: :skull:

More games! Lots more protos and complete games have been uncovered since then. Also there are cool hacks and conversions from the 8-bit world that are included as well. And the lack of having to use dipswitches anymore is another bonus.

I believe this is the complete current list of XL Conversions that are floating around either in single cart or multi-cart form:

ANALOG Multicart (XL Conversion)

Archon (XL Conversion)

Atlantis (XL Conversion)

Attack of the Mutant Camels (XL Conversion)

Buried Bucks (XL Conversion)

COSMI 2-in-1 (XL Conversion)

Captain Beeble (XL Conversion)

Caverns of Mars (XL Conversion)

Chess (XL Conversion)

Claim Jumper (XL Conversion)

Crystal Castles (XL Conversion)

Demon Attack (XL Conversion)

Desmonds Dungeon (XL Conversion)

Diamond Mine (XL Conversion)

Donkey Kong (XL Conversion)

Donkey Kong Jr (XL Conversion)

Fast Eddie (XL Conversion)

Jawbreaker (XL Conversion)

Jumpman Jr (XL Conversion)

K-Star Patrol (XL Conversion)

Mr Cool (XL Conversion)

Pastfinder (XL Conversion)

Preppie (XL Conversion)

Satans Hollow (XL Conversion)

Shamus (XL Conversion)

Tapper (XL Conversion)

Turmoil (XL Conversion)

Worm War I (XL Conversion)

There are actually two versions of Tapper, one done by Kenfused and one done by me. They play the same, as far as I can tell, except for the title screen.

Steve

I believe this is the complete current list of XL Conversions that are floating around either in single cart or multi-cart form:

ANALOG Multicart (XL Conversion)

Archon (XL Conversion)

Atlantis (XL Conversion)

Buried Bucks (XL Conversion)

COSMI 2-in-1 (XL Conversion)

Captain Beeble (XL Conversion)

Caverns of Mars (XL Conversion)

Chess (XL Conversion)

Crystal Castles (XL Conversion)

Donkey Kong (XL Conversion)

Donkey Kong Jr (XL Conversion)

Mr Cool (XL Conversion)

Preppie (XL Conversion)

Satans Hollow (XL Conversion)

Shamus (XL Conversion)

Tapper (XL Conversion)

Turmoil (XL Conversion)

Worm War I (XL Conversion)

There are actually two versions of Tapper, one done by Kenfused and one done by me.  They play the same, as far as I can tell, except for the title screen.

Steve

and upndown

Bet yours isn't as old as mine. My sk multicart has a white paper label and some of the game listings are wrong/not listed :lol: :skull:

More games! Lots more protos and complete games have been uncovered since then. Also there are cool hacks and conversions from the 8-bit world that are included as well. And the lack of having to use dipswitches anymore is another bonus.

:thumbsup:

What he said!

I'm hoping to have mine by tomorrow! It went out Monday. 8)

Ken,

Can you repost up-n-down?  The version I downloaded wouldnt play right on a real 5200.  

Steve

Hey Steve,

Any chance of you posting any more of the conversions you did like:

Mr Cool (XL Conversion)

Shamus (XL Conversion)

Turmoil (XL Conversion)

Worm War I (XL Conversion)?

Allan

Ken,

Can you repost up-n-down?  The version I downloaded wouldnt play right on a real 5200.  

Steve

Hey Steve,

Any chance of you posting any more of the conversions you did like:

Mr Cool (XL Conversion)

Shamus (XL Conversion)

Turmoil (XL Conversion)

Worm War I (XL Conversion)?

Allan

Or more of them. I only have a few of the conversions listed, and it'd be great to have more.

5-11under

You know what you OUTTA put in there. I don't know why I didn't think of this before.. but you should put in those Atari Pac-man variants on the 8bits (the disk images are floating around out there).

Although they look identical to the 5200 version there are variations that have a better 'wocka wocka' sound when pacman eats the dots. And there are others with intros that show the ghost names. etc. Just a thought :)

Got mine today! Needless to say....

:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

My only gripe is I'd like to see more XL conversions, and less of the dogs, like the Boogie Demo. Clowns and Baloons would be great, especially for the paddle. I haven't played ALL 128 games, but so far they all work and play great. Speed, color, sound are all exact to the original carts. I'll ply the rest of them tonight or this weekend.

I reccomend gettin' one before they're gone!

How long before the 128 multi is completely done in Xl conversions?! :P

Nice list coming along. I've got a couple multis already, I think a smaller multi with conversions only would be neat. 8) Also anyone making stand alone versions of these currently I'd like the Imagic ones on individual carts

Man Tapper & Up'n Down, someone needs to do Spy Hunter with second fire button as the second button on 5200 stick :D

And what no love for Food Fight or Midnight Magic? Or what about Necromancer or Gridrunner? I rather enjoy Crossfire by Sierra On-line too! ;)

I got one of the multi-carts from classics back a few months ago and it is real nice. Menu based, no dipswitches. I think I even asked him to replace a couple games with something else. Or something like that.

As for the pac-man variants. I think only one plays correctly, the ghosts act weird in the other ones. One had the wocka-wocka sound correct but the eat fruit sound was incorrect. The other had the correct fruit sound but wrong wocka-wocka sound. One of them (I forget) had incorrect ghost movement.