IGNORED

XE version of Mario Brothers has stalagtites.

Shannon

I know this has been talked about to some extent how different incarnations (especially the NES) version of mario brothers does not have the stalagtites.

Well just outta curiosity I played the XE version, and sure enough they were there.

Kinda cool too see so much attention put into a title.

Sure the creatures are a little to big, firefly's should not be able to land on the POW button, you should be able to duck under fireballs, and the sound kinda sucks compared to the inferior 800/5200 version. Buy hey..

Overall the gameplay is decent enough to make it by far my favorite translation of this game.

Now too bad someone couldn't hack it and insert the 5200/800 sound effects into this game, and maybe tweak a few minor things.

Ignore the crappy color pallete. I played this on the xbox Atari emulator which does not take snaps correctly.

post-3211-1095319597_thumb.png

For the record, the XE version of Mario Bros has been developed by Sculptured Software (Steve Coleman & Co.) also responsible for the XE ports of Commando, Crossbow and other games like Raid Over Moscow, Ninja, Rainbow Walker (Steve Coleman for Synapse), etc.

On a U.S. level and in the mid-eighties, these guys were among the best XL/XE developers on the market.

You can check their output over @ Atarimania:

http://www.atarimania.com/lst_soft.php?SYS...&DEVELOP_ID=195

AB.

I agree, those guys from Sculptured seem to be perfectionists :D I prefer the XE version sounds rather than the 5200 ones. I also like the big sprites - just because it is uncommon to find such amount of huge moving objects in an Atari game. And the fast, smooth graphics makes the game much nicer to play than the 5200 version.

you should be able to duck under fireballs

Could you explain? I've never heard of ducking in Mario Bros., did you mean "running under"?

I agree, those guys from Sculptured seem to be perfectionists :D I prefer the XE version sounds rather than the 5200 ones. I also like the big sprites - just because it is uncommon to find such amount of huge moving objects in an Atari game. And the fast, smooth graphics makes the game much nicer to play than the 5200 version.
you should be able to duck under fireballs

Could you explain? I've never heard of ducking in Mario Bros., did you mean "running under"?

Ya, I meant run under. It may be possible, never played the game long enough. Basically the problem is either the spacing between the levels is too small, the fireballs are too big, or mario is too big.

In fact jumping over the creatures is a little harder than it should be.

I prefer the 8-bit sounds because they are much closer to the arcade (minus the walking sounds). Even judged on it's own, the sound in this game is pretty lame. Just listen to the end level sound. It's lame.

For the record, the XE version of Mario Bros has been developed by Sculptured Software (Steve Coleman & Co.) also responsible for the XE ports of Commando, Crossbow and other games like Raid Over Moscow, Ninja, Rainbow Walker (Steve Coleman for Synapse), etc.

On a U.S. level and in the mid-eighties, these guys were among the best XL/XE developers on the market.

You can check their output over @ Atarimania:

http://www.atarimania.com/lst_soft.php?SYS...&DEVELOP_ID=195

AB.

Was it the same people that developed the awesome home port of MK2 for SNES???After playing that,I knew Sculptured was da bomb! :)

• 1 month later...
  • 8 years later...