IGNORED

Bermuda. I offer you another lost ROM

Atari Charles

BERMUDA was going to be one of the very first cart D/L's for Antholog.y.

We had the Box, Cart Label and Manual bits already lined-up and made for the D/L. :-(

I'm surprised to hear the Activision has the rights to this one. How did that come to pass? What other 2600 non-Activision titles does the company have publishing rights to?

Activision own the rights to any hack or mod of their original code.

Basically, the Taiwanese hack 'n' what not, are ours.

If any of the Taiwan, Brazilian or Whatever Acti-Hack coders are out there and want to dispute this issue, by all means Email Me. :-)

Our Legal group would love to have a chat with you.

If any of the Taiwan, Brazilian or Whatever Acti-Hack coders are out there and want to dispute this issue, by all means Email Me. :-)

I find this quite a strange.. you do own the original code, but that does not make you the owner of the code they added or modified (even if nobody is probably going to complain about it). If you distribute their code you'll be doing the same they did -> pirating games. Two wrongs do not make a right, remember?

Cheers,

Raymond

Pretty sad.

This is the kind of crap that's going to kill this hobby. :sad:

I think he (tried to) make a joke. But with Infogrames around, it really isn't funny anymore.

Let's hope so. I would be really disappointed if he wasn't... Just think of it, if your game has a yellow square in it, Atari can claim it's a 'hack 'n' what not' of Adventure and then claim all of your work as theirs.

Maybe Ken could explain the situation with this?

Cheers,

Raymond

Pretty sad.  

This is the kind of crap that's going to kill this hobby.  :-(

The hobby isn't going to be killed off or die out. There are people here who would sooner die than give up collecting Atari cartridges. Coding for the system takes even more dedication - obsession! Maybe the whole homebrew stink with Infogrames will force the homebrew/hack/clone scene underground for a while. (Did you ever notice when you were a kid that the cookies you stole from the cookie jar always tasted better than the ones your mother set on the plate?) Eventually, Infogrames will have milked the trademarks for all they are worth and find no more money is to be had. As before, the trademarks will be forgotten, and all will be as it was.

It seems to me that Activision is actually trying to market their collections to us, by asking for our ideas and opinions and staying in contact with us here on Atariage. We should be supporting them and not dogging on them just because a few ROMs were pulled. Activision is not the enemy.

I don't think Ken was joking and Ken was in the right. If you choose to illegally steal and modify someone else's code and then sell it as your own, I think the person who actually wrote the game your pirate cart couldn't exist without has 100% rights over you.

Just because someone spends hours of their time trying to figure out how to steal and duplicate a valuable work of art (for example, a 2600 game or a painting like the Mona Lisa,) doesn't magically give them some legal rights. Spending your time breaking the law does not entitle you to a slice of someone elses pie.

I think what I can't believe is that people are even writing what they are in this thread. Do you have a clue? Here, call 1-800-Rent-a-clue.

I don't think Ken was joking and Ken was in the right. If you choose to illegally steal and modify someone else's code and then sell it as your own, I think the person who actually wrote the game your pirate cart couldn't exist without has 100% rights over you.  

Just because someone spends hours of their time trying to figure out how to steal and duplicate a valuable work of art (for example, a 2600 game or a painting like the Mona Lisa,) doesn't magically give them some legal rights. Spending your time breaking the law does not entitle you to a slice of someone elses pie.

I think what I can't believe is that people are even writing what they are in this thread. Do you have a clue? Here, call 1-800-Rent-a-clue.

This is actually true.

But it's still petty knickel and dime bullshit worrying over a simple rom file that is what's going to kill this hobby. If it weren't for the retro community keeping interest in this stuff alive, nobody would have ever thought to sell these arcade in a stick, or anthology collections. Just like the big record companies, it's cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Like I said before.

Sad. :sad:

Lots of things can be considered Piracy. Technically, Pitfall Aimee's pictures are piracy as she doesn't own the images she is painting and she is selling said paintings. By the way, her painting's are excellent!!

Making a copy of anything copyrighted is piracy. Hacks are piracy. Homebrews that use any of the original source code, even though the game is totally new is piracy.

Atari, Activision, and other companies in their legal right to have Atari Age remove ROMS, but on the other hand, will this alienate potential customers.

In an alternate arguement, an individual can legally parody something and use and sell said product because it is a parody. Comedy shows make money all the time by selling TV stations their show which parodies someone or something.

I believe in intellectual property rights(an author has a right to his work), but I also believe that another person has the rights to parody said creation. That is also how the courts view things. Technically, HSW has some rights to the code that he wrote for his games. But the question is, does he or is he willing to front the money and hire a lawyer to sue Atari(infogrames) for royalties from Atari games he worked on.

In the end it is true what "jetset" wrote. It is pretty sad for these corporations to worry about some old ROM file that they couldn't have given a toss about a few years ago. People will still buy their all in one joysticks, their PS2 discs and so on whether the ROMs are posted or not.

A parody has zero relevance here, as a parody (though 'based' or 'inspired' by something else,) is entirely the creation of the parodier (new word?) :-) If weird al were not able to perform his own music for his parodies and instead sampled songs hed be in just as much trouble, for example.

No. i say that is pretty much bullsht. If you write a game, and i make a hack of it, you retain copyright over your part, but it doesn't give you any rights to my code. The copyright over those changes lies with me. Ofcourse my changes are pretty worthless without your code so i can't do anything with them. If i distribute them with your code i am breaking the law since i don't have rights to your code. I can only distribute my changes with my own code. In which case it's not a hack anymore but a complete new product... (since there is nothing of your code left in it anymore)

Indeed it doesn't. Like i said, i can only distribute (or whatever else) my code. Not yours. By 'hacking' it i don't get rights to *YOUR* code, but only to the new code i added (or significally changed). Ofcourse it also works the other way around. You do not magically get any legal rights to my changes just because i might have based them on your work.

Example: I break into your house and steal some of your furniture. I use those to decorate my house. I get busted and you see that i based the decoration of my house on your furniture. Does that mean that you suddenly own all the stuff i used to decorate my house with? (hint: the answer is no)

Cheers,

Raymond