IGNORED

Can H.E.R.O. be fixed so it's random from the start?

Random Terrain

Hero is great just as it is...  

It sounds as if you haven't even tried to play this game to actually enjoy it, and are just putting it down JUST because it isn't random. It is kind of like people bashing et without playing it, how does that make you feel...

I've played it on the Atari 2600 and the Commodore 64. Expecting some type of random placement of objects in a game and so on is not really bashing it is it? As I said, if you like the original, play it. If you don't like people hacking games then ask AtariAge to take down all of the hacks.

As impressive as Thrust is, yeah, Laser Gates is more fun, because it's not impossibly hard with 90% of controllers.   I'd probably enjoy Thrust more w/ DC+footpedal or 5-button controls, but I don't own those . . .

Originally, Thrust was meant to be played with a simple joystick. And that's how I still always play it.

How about H.E.R.O starting at level 1 and then the level numbers are getting random?

Something like that could be hacked in a few minutes.

That's better than nothing and would make the game a little more fun and less monotonous since you'd never know which level would be next.

How about H.E.R.O starting at level 1 and then the level numbers are getting random?

That's better than nothing and would make the game a little more fun and less monotonous since you'd never know which level would be next.

Good grief! When you play the game enough, you can tell which level you are on from the very first screen.

I knew Thomas could hack it to be "random" in this manner. What you guys originally were asking is an impossible task. Having the game generate randomness of playfield layout on the fly so it would create levels that you've never seen before or will ever see again....??? :roll:

Thomas, your hack will make the game far too easy. Only levels 18-20 are very difficult. If the randomness includes the possibility of repeating all easy levels(1 through about 10 especially), you'll earn extra lives very easily and continue to play and play forever. If you do make this hack, make sure to mark it. Everyone should just play game 5 and learn the difficult levels and deal with levels 13-20 appearing randomly. That is enough of a challenge for me. Or try it on the 5200, that controller will challenge even the greatest of gamers!! I was challenged to try to dream up some new curse words after hitting the reset button about 2 million times. :lolblue:

Good grief! When you play the game enough, you can tell which level you are on from the very first screen.

Even if you have every level memorized, it's still less monotonous since you don't have to play 17 levels in a row that are always in the same order. And this hacked version starts out on level one, so even beginners have a chance to play some levels they wouldn't normally stick around for. Starting out on level 17 is not fun for me. You have to be too perfect from the start. I usually play games for fun, not to learn 'dance moves,' and not to get high scores. Here are those quotes I agree with again:

I knew Thomas could hack it to be "random" in this manner.  What you guys originally were asking is an impossible task. Having the game generate randomness of playfield layout on the fly so it would create levels that you've never seen before or will ever see again....??? :roll:

I think you are making it more complicated that it really is. The randomness I'm talking about doesn't have to be that hard. Think of those stupid kid games where the face, torso, and legs can be changed to make funny combinations if it helps you to visualize it better. There would be predetermined empty tunnel 'chunks' and a list of legal places for enemies and so on. It shouldn't be that difficult for an Atari 2600 game to do that since there are games out there that provide a more random experience.

Hhhhhhmmmmm . . . "HERO Construction Set", anyone?  That would rock . . . It'd have to be considerably more complicated than the previous ones for Combat, Indy 500, etc  . . .

I'll have to try this here hack. . .

You might get problems with Activision. A few minutes after I posted my hack, I realized that I might have done something (legally) wrong.

• 1 month later...