IGNORED

atari 2600 in a movie

atarimastermarty

quote:

Originally posted by moycon:

You can hear the sounds of Yars Revenge in the movie Airplane 2 when their all in the control room I think trying to land the shuttle.

And of course, you can both hear and see Atari Basketball among the monitors in the original Airplane!

Another Leslie Nielsen comedy with an Atari 2600 game in the mix is The Creature Wasn't Nice (a.k.a. Naked Space, a.k.a. Spaceship), which has Nielsen playing an upside-down Space Invaders.

• 7 months later...

I like that episode of Freaks and Geeks. They go to the store (montgomery wards i think) and the games are prominently displayed in the middle of the floor. I don't ever remember seeing that. I do remember playing on one of those kiosks where you could try out games.

Just rediscovered something else Atari in the Movies. I was watching the movie D.A.R.Y.L. last night and sure enough not too far into the beginning of the movie the actor Barrett Oliver (Daryl) plays a super fast game of Pole Position on an 800XL. He does so again later on in the film when he is back in his lab. However, you don't really see the 800XL then like you did at the beginning. But you do clearly see the CX40 controllers in his hand...

A look at the credits at the end did indeed show that the Video Games were provided courtesy of Namco Inc. and Atari Corporation. Trameil got off to an early start I guess with the advertising in the movies.

The Atari 7800 can be seen several times in the movie "In Country". In one scene Bruce Willis is lying on the couch playing Ms. PAC MAN. The really astonishing part about this is that he is controlling the game with a ProLine joystick using one hand only. I guess that's the difference between real action heroes and us poor wannabes, who even get a handcramp from using the ProLine joystick with both hands. ;)

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg

There's a scene in BladeRunner where you see ATARI spelled out in blue neon on a sign in the distance through the dark rainy streets as Harrison Ford makes his way throught the crowd.

This is pretty well known amongst Ridley Scott fans and those Atari fans who are also sci-fi fans.

This isn't really a movie appearance, but it's still cool. If you have Phantasy Star Online for the Dreamcast, try this out. I've done it with Version 1; I don't know if it's in 2.

To see what I'm talking about, stand near the item check counter, face the Principal's area, and look at the sides of the buildings in the distance. If you get lined up right, you'll see the Atari logo quite clearly. Now if only I had a way of getting a decent screen shot.

I was looking through this thread hoping to find a screen shot from Freaks and Geeks... If you haven't already, you should check out the Atari on Film article over at TAT. It's a pretty exhaustive list of Atari in the movies and on TV.

http://www.ataritimes.com/specialfeatures/...atarifilms.html