IGNORED

Flashback joysticks

davidcalgary29

Forgive me if this has already been answered in that other multi-page thread, but I was overcome by laziness halfway into the third page and had to quit. :D

Has anyone attempted to use the "Flashback" joysticks with a regular 7800? I have to say that I find them to be a 100% improvement over those hated Prolines, and would love to use it with my 7800 when I get it out of storage.

• Like 1

Someone should make a female 9-pin ->connector-box -> male 9 pin pass through whith diffrent connector boxed which would allow Sega 2 button sega lightgun, nes 2-button, nes lightgun, or flashback compatablity...the middle part would be bought seprately and would have the rewiring for that specific controler... Think of all the posiblities...(hint hint) I just listed 5 posiblities right there...a fathmiclone lightgun one might be possible also (if diffrent from NES ligtgun).

Someone should make a female 9-pin ->connector-box -> male 9 pin pass through whith diffrent connector boxed which would allow Sega 2 button sega lightgun, nes 2-button, nes lightgun, or flashback compatablity...the middle part would be bought seprately and would have the rewiring for that specific controler... Think of all the posiblities...(hint hint) I just listed 5 posiblities right there...a fathmiclone lightgun one might be possible also (if diffrent from NES ligtgun).

I've been thinking about this sort of thing for a few months now. In theory, it shouldn't be *that* hard to make something that could go from, say, an Atari 2600 controller to the NES or something. It's the other way around that might get a little tricky...

Hopefully sometime around Christmas I'll have some time to do some tinkering. One thing on my list is to see what makes the flashback controllers tick...

Does anyone know if the flashback controllers are serial? I had assumed that they were since they were running on NES hardware...

Just answering my own question (and forgive me if it's already been covered) - I went ahead and opened one of my joysticks and found that they are serial. That would explain why it only uses 5 of the 9 pins in the connector... Did a continuity test and found what the pinout was and will probably wire it up to my nintendo to see if it serially loads all of the buttons in the same way.

So, has anyone else used the flashback controller on the NES?  I got mine wired up and working (finally) and it plays great.  I think I'll be wiring up my NES controller to the flashback next.  :D

Can you send mepost a picture style pin out reading of the flashback to NES conversion please?

alright. I finally have some time to sit down and figure out how to make draw this thing out. :)

The flashback controller's pinout is as follows:

0-------0-------0-------0-------0

NC    SCLK     DO      OUT     NC

0-------0-------0-------0

NC     GND     +5V     NC

(sorry about the ghetto spacing - when previewing, it didn't line up, so that's the best I can do. Just draw out the diagram and label each pin in the order listed below them! :) )

The Nintendo's port looks like this:

GND   0

CLK   0-----0  +5V

STRB  0-----0  D3

DO    0-----0  D4

(once again, sorry for the lame spacing)

So basically, you'll use all of the 5 used pins from the Flashback controller and attach them to the GND, CLK, STRB, D0, and +5V.

Most of them are pretty obvious, just matching them up (GND to GND) and most that don't match down to the letter are also pretty intuitive (CLK to SCLK). The only one that doesn't match is the OUT, which needs to be attached to the STRB (At least I'm almost positive that's what I attached it to.) D3 and D4 are not used for this controller.

Anyway, I hope this helps! With a little flip-flopping, an NES controller should just as easily hook up to a Flashback.

I cleaned up the spacing a little bit so it's a little easier to read.

One thing that I wasn't quite sure about, are those the pinouts looking at the console or at the end of the joystick cord?

Mitch

Thanks or cleaning it up! I was unsure how to space it correctly. :)

Sorry I didn't specify - the top pinout is for the joystick cord pinout, the bottom is the NES console pinout. I did it this way for the sake of simplicity (at least, it certainly made it easier for me!)

One slight problem I noticed is that it seems that the buttons on the controller are inverted. (At least I think they are anyway) The game I tried (Double Dragon II) was a *little* awkward while playing since in order to punch to the left, I had to press the right button and vice versa.

I'm hoping to have some time to de-multiplex and rearrange the order of the buttons in the signal, then re-multiplex it so that the buttons are a little more natural. If it works the way I think it does, it's just a matter of seeing if I have the right parts laying around. I know that it would be easier to re-wire the buttons, but I really don't want to alter the hardware.

I may also try to interface it to the 7800 since david initially started this thread in the hopes of using a flashback controller on a 7800. :)

Oh, and if I'm incorrect about the button configuration on Double Dragon II, will somebody PLEASE inform me? :D

• 9 months later...

Eh, not to bring up a topic that's almost a year old (was pointed to it from another Flashback joystick pinout thread), but I looked up this sort of joystick pinout in some documentation for the Linux Joystick Driver on famiclone-style ports.. it's showing "Latch" instead of "DO" as your diagram shows. Is there any major difference to these for any of us who bought some of the original Flashbacks for the joysticks? I'm asking because I do enjoy how comfortable they are, and seem to be really made for those 4-way joystick games.

[Edit] By the way, what hardware is required to create the adapter, and what are the limits (such as for parallel ports, how many controllers per port, and also the same for USB if that's possible)?

Edited by NightSprinter

Eh, not to bring up a topic that's almost a year old (was pointed to it from another Flashback joystick pinout thread), but I looked up this sort of joystick pinout in some documentation for the Linux Joystick Driver on famiclone-style ports.. it's showing "Latch" instead of "DO" as your diagram shows.  Is there any major difference to these for any of us who bought  some of the original Flashbacks for the joysticks?  I'm asking because I do enjoy how comfortable they are, and seem to be really made for those 4-way joystick games.

942561[/snapback]

I *think* I'm understanding what you are asking - it shouldn't make any difference. When I messed around with that stuff and came up with my pinout, I concluded that the flashback controller is EXACTLY the same as an NES controller - it is just put together a little differently. I'm guessing that Latch could be hooked up to DO without any problems... if anyone knows differently, please correct me. :)

• 1 month later...

Anyone have the color code so I don't have to rip apart the original cords? (brown, red, orange, yellow, white). Just a simple red on the FB1 cord goes to yellow on NES pad for example.

I'm looking to use NES controllers on the FB1, and then the FB1 controllers on the NES. So if you have both schimatics that would be great.

Thanks A Bunch,

Shawn Sr.

EDIT: I figured out the FB1 to NES but now I gotta do the same for NES to FB1. Having a hard time with getting the NES controller to go on the FB1 so if anyone reads this and knows how before I figure it out please post your methods color coded.

Edited by silver_surfer

Forgive me if this has already been answered in that other multi-page thread, but I was overcome by laziness halfway into the third page and had to quit.  :D

Has anyone attempted to use the "Flashback" joysticks with a regular 7800? I have to say that I find them to be a 100% improvement over those hated Prolines, and would love to use it with my 7800 when I get it out of storage.

753823[/snapback]

Use a Sega Master system controller bro! I use it for all my Atari's and my C64. Don't know what I'd do without it. D-pad and 2-buttons, it's all you need.

• 5 weeks later...
Forgive me if this has already been answered in that other multi-page thread, but I was overcome by laziness halfway into the third page and had to quit.  :D

753823[/snapback]

Oddly enough, I just recently bought a Falshback 2 and found out you can use THOSE controllers on a 2600. My 7800 is packed away but it stands to reason if they work on one they'd work on the other...

Too bad about the Original Flashback controllers though. I always did think the 7800 sticks felt much better that the original 2600 sticks.