IGNORED

Side-scrolling games...

vdub_bobby

I am trying to develop a horizontally-scrolling game for the VCS, and I thought it would be a good idea to check out the side-scrolling games already out there, to see what's been done and to try to pick up some tricks :)

But I'm not too familiar with the VCS library - could you fellas tell me what games have been made for the VCS that are horiz scrollers? Which are the best?

Thanks...

-bob

Stargate (Defender 2) is excellent. Barnstorming and Grand Prix are among the best-looking side-scrollers.

Megaforce is pretty good (similar to Crash Dive in some regards).

SuperCobra is a good example of how not to do it. Even though I admire the effort (and really like the arcade game) the scrolling is just too chunky.

Vanguard also has chunky scrolling, but for some reason it works better there. Maybe because the terrain doesn't get in your way so much. The speed is more suitable there, too.

Laser Gates is okay, but I think the gameplay is too repetitive. Looks nice though.

Planet Patrol is another one that's just "okay". Scrolls well though.

The Empire Strikes Back scrolls very nicely, but it's really boring. Just not enough variety in the gameplay. Just an endless string of Imperial Walkers.

Moon Patrol is very good. James Bond 007 is similar in its approach, but not as good of a game.

Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

I think the best/smoothest looking sideways scrolling in 2600 games is when the movement is done using sprites instead of playfield, since the playfield has its resolution limits. Moon Patrol is a good example, because it does both. The mountains in the background are playfield scrolling, and move in steps, while the holes/rocks on the ground are sprites, which can move smoother (and faster in this case, for a nice parallax effect)

Not sure how Stargate/Defender 2 manages to look so smooth though. Either the bkg lines/stars are done with the ball or missiles, or they actually manage a movement rate perfect for the illusion of smoothness. (stars look too small to be playfield though.)

yeah, the TIA is just not very well suited for side scrolling. There aren't many NES-like side scrolling games (where you interact with the scrolling environment) mainly because there's no way that we've found to do smooth horizontal scrolling with the playfield. Also memory can quickly become an issue trying to do stuff like that.

-paul