Mini Review: Castle Shikigami 2 (PS2)

hex65000

Castle Shikigami 2 (PS2)

Genre: Action / Scrolling Shooter

Found at: Borders Books ~$10.00 new

Worth: ~ $10.00 or less

Similar to: Ikaruga / Gunbird 2

HD Loader Compatable: Yes.

Good bits: Lots of things to shoot at, borders on possible for the uninitiated. It's moderately pretty and the character options give you some decent style options. Character art is acceptable. While I'm not a conneseur of this genre, it's a competent game and it's pretty challenging overall. I never was really good with the shooting pattern games like Ikaruga. I just like to blaze away and do as much damage as I can. What is unique is that you can select from a bank of characters, you can select from two different special types that are similar in style at the start. Each character has a standard weapon type and then if you hold the button down a 'special' attack. This is a nice aspect that allows you to pick from multiple different shooting styles. The screen layout reminds me of Ikaruga, and the fact that you play a person just floating in the air shooting all sorts of things reminds me of Gunbird 2. It's a shooter. Any questions?

Bad Bits: Voice acting. It's painful. I suspect random employees were given a poorly translated Japanese script, and no context for what they were saying and just read the lines. Badly. The story might make more sense with a better translation.

Is it worth it?: That's a toss up. The price is definately right. There is really nothing innovative going on here though. I also hate to say that the acting takes away from the joy of this game. Everything else is at least average in style and content. If you want a staple instead of R-Type Final, or Gradius 5 this is a possible choice... Just don't pay a lot for that muffler.

What's Disturbing: There is a Castle Shikigami 1. The masochist in me must find it.

Hex.

[ Just does not get it... ]

Wow. Thanks. I had stumbled upon a preview for this game WAY back near the beginning of the year. I'm a sucker for 2D shooters, so it looked right up my alley. Unfortunately, I forgot the name of it. DOH! So, I had been hoping for a while I'd accidentally discover it again.

$10 sounds fair. It's a whole lot better than the $30 I initially saw it listed for. I'll need to hunt a copy down.

Finally got this on Christmas Day, having actually bought it about a month ago. It's easily as much fun as I'd expected it to be, and the fantastically bad voice acting and dialogue add to the enjoyment. :D

For $10, unless you really hate shooters you just can't go wrong.