IGNORED

My Top 10 NES games

madmjennifer

Here's my 10 favorite NES games:

1.) Tetris 2

This is my most recent favorite NES game. I've never really been a big Tetris fan but the added aspect of matching colors to get rid of bricks really impressed me. Careful though, this is addictive.

2.) Super Mario 3

This is a favorite from my childhood when I spent hours trying to save that blasted princess. Fool woman is always getting into trouble!

3.) Pinball

It's apparently really hard to make an accurate pinball game (if you doubt this, take a look at some recent pinball offerings like KISS pinball for PS). Yet Nintendo achieved this with Pinball, one of the earlier releases for the NES. Nothing fancy, just a pinball game with a ball that behaves like a ball should.

4.) Exodus

No, I'm not a bible freak. I was really surprised when I first played this game, which I got for free. I was expecting bible stuff but I found myself enjoying the brick-busting puzzle action. The only bible stuff is in between the actual gameplay in a series of trivia questions.

5.) Super Mario

This has to make the list because it was the first game I ever played on the NES. The songs will resonate in my memory forever.

6.) Little Nemo

Another one of my recent favorites, Little Nemo is pretty. Although it's frustrating to have to coerce the animals to help you, it teaches a good lesson in that you never get anything for free.

7.) Toobin'

Although the NES version isn't as impressive as the arcade version I played I still like the game because it is based on such a seemingly simple activity like floating on an inner tube.

8.) Mike Tyson's Punch Out

I don't know if there's any difference between this and Punch Out but this is a pretty cool boxing game. I liked the way the face of your opponent (or yourself) seemed to melt as the fight progressed.

9.) Yoshi's Cookie

A fun puzzle game. I never get very far, but I have fun before I die.

10.) Double Dragon

The first fighting game I ever owned. Were those people in the teal jumpsuits with the purple hair and the whips men or women? I thought those figures were kinda weird even at age 10.

Of course I haven't played all the NES games and I hope this list changes many times in the coming years.

Jennifer

Here's my list.

1. Yoshi's Cookie, the best multiplayer puzzle game on the NES

2. Dr. Mario, the 2nd best

3. Baseball Stars

4. Ice Hockey, HAS to be one of the best 2-player games ever made

5. Super Mario Bros. 3. Kind of a given.

6. Zelda, also a given.

7. Maniac Mansion. Loved this game since age 6.

8. Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!

9. Contra

10. Mega Man 2

Here's my list in no order:

Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest

Dr. Mario

Excitebike

High Speed ("sequel" to Pinbot)

Legend of Zelda

Metroid

Mike Tyson's Punchout

R.C. Pro Am

Super Spy Hunter (Think Spy Hunter with levels, bosses, and crazy upgrades)

Super Mario Bros

Mine:

1. Gradius

2. Super Mario Brothers

3. Contra

4. Metroid

5. Megaman

6. Bubble Bobble

7. Castlevania

8. Ghosts and Goblins

9. Ninja Kid

10. Contra

Honorable mention: Kung Fu, Life Force, Track and Field, Super Mario 2, Super Mario 3, Legend of Zelda, Castlevania III, Ultimate Stuntman

Hrrm, off the top of my head:

Blaster Master - such a cool world, and the tank upgrades were ace--running around kinda sucked

Metroid - why I got a NES rather than living with my otherwise superior C=64

Mega Man 2

Mega Man 3

SMB2

SMB3

Solar Jetman

Smash TV (surprisingly good port)

Zelda 2

Contra

My 10 faves in no particular order:

>Dudes With Attitudes (American Video Entertainment)

>Krazy Kreatures (American Video Entertainment)

>Toobin (Tengen)

>Marble Madness (Milton Bradley)

>Jurassic Park (Ocean)

>Kickle Cubicle (Irem)

>Loopz (Mindscape)

>Vice Project Doom (American Sammy)

>Klax (Tengen)

>Dragon Spirit (Bandai)

>Toobin (Tengen)

>Jurassic Park (Ocean)

>Kickle Cubicle (Irem)

>Loopz (Mindscape)

>Klax (Tengen)

>Dragon Spirit (Bandai)

Kind of funny how none of those are licensed by Nintendo, the company that made the system.

>Toobin (Tengen)

>Jurassic Park (Ocean)

>Kickle Cubicle (Irem)

>Loopz (Mindscape)

>Klax (Tengen)

>Dragon Spirit (Bandai)

Kind of funny how none of those are licensed by Nintendo, the company that made the system.

Marble Madness was

Jurassic Park was

Kickle Cubicle Was

Loopz Was

Vice Project Doom was

and Dragon Sprit was

Hrmm.. this'll be a little difficult for me because I normally don't consern myself with which I like better of those that I like.

1) Rockin' Kats (see avatar and status. :-P)

2) Super Mario Bros. 3

3) Balloon Fight

4) Galga

5) Star Force

6) City Connection

After that I don't really think much about what I like more.... just those that I like least.

3.) Pinball

It's apparently really hard to make an accurate pinball game (if you doubt this, take a look at some recent pinball offerings like KISS pinball for PS).  Yet Nintendo achieved this with Pinball, one of the earlier releases for the NES.  Nothing fancy, just a pinball game with a ball that behaves like a ball should.  

I don't think it's so much hard to make one as it is that most companies see them as throw-away titles and put no efforr into them. NES Pinball is good, but the Naxat titles (Alien Crush/Devil Crush/Time Cruise) on the TG-16 stomp up and down on the whole genre with combat boots on they're so good. . . Must haves if you ever get a TG-16.

4.) Exodus

No, I'm not a bible freak.  I was really surprised when I first played this game, which I got for free.  I was expecting bible stuff but I found myself enjoying the brick-busting puzzle action.  The only bible stuff is in between the actual gameplay in a series of trivia questions.

Get Joshua, also. Same game, different puzzles. . .

6.) Little Nemo

Another one of my recent favorites, Little Nemo is pretty.  Although it's frustrating to have to coerce the animals to help you, it teaches a good lesson in that you never get anything for free.

Never played it. Will have to try it now.

10.) Double Dragon  

The first fighting game I ever owned.  Were those people in the teal jumpsuits with the purple hair and the whips men or women?  I thought those figures were kinda weird even at age 10.

They're women. . . But, yeah, they're weird.

Aargh how could I forget Bionic Commando??? By the end of my list I was really reaching, but Bionic Commando was great...such a good play mechanic. Plus I liked the story framing device where the whole thing turns out to be being told by [ SPOILER DELETED ]

6.) Little Nemo

Another one of my recent favorites, Little Nemo is pretty.  Although it's frustrating to have to coerce the animals to help you, it teaches a good lesson in that you never get anything for free.

Never played it. Will have to try it now.

I've always been interested in this game since it showed up in Nintendo Power...tried the ROM and got a little frustrated, but still, seems like a cool idea, and the selection of the original source material was inspired.

10.) Double Dragon  

The first fighting game I ever owned.  Were those people in the teal jumpsuits with the purple hair and the whips men or women?  I thought those figures were kinda weird even at age 10.

They're women. . . But, yeah, they're weird.

Heh...supposedly there's a whole "post-apocalyptic" storyline that was missing from the US Release. I don't know why that should make whip-wielding lesbian warriors more plausible, but somehow it does.

NES version was a notable for its lack of Doubleness, with only a one player story mode. But the one on one combat part was pretty cool for the time.

10.) Double Dragon

The first fighting game I ever owned. Were those people in the teal jumpsuits with the purple hair and the whips men or women? I thought those figures were kinda weird even at age 10

Back when this was new (and DOUBLE DRAGON was in the arcades) it really bugged me. You didn't have two-player cooperative fighting, you had to "earn" your moves and the levels were all jumbled up compared to the arcade.

Recently, however, I started playing NES DOUBLE DRAGON and I'm starting to appreciate it as a game as opposed to a port. The control is pretty good, the graphics are great, the music is good. It just isn't really very faithful to the arcade.

Aargh how could I forget Bionic Commando??? By the end of my list I was really reaching, but Bionic Commando was great...such a good play mechanic. Plus I liked the story framing device where the whole thing turns out to be being told by [ SPOILER DELETED ]

Bionic Commando is a great game, but it would have been better and easier if the guy could jump. :) It was hard to get used to playing without jumping.

Bionic Commando is a great game, but it would have been better and easier if the guy could jump. :) It was hard to get used to playing without jumping.

Well, that was part of its charm...learning to swing w/ the arm was fun, it had a neat kinetic action to it.

But yeah, there were some times when a little hop is all you needed...."drat this curb! if only there were a convenient streetlight or overhanging branch for me to make it onto the sidewalk!"

NES being my favourite system, my list changes often. In fact as I recall, in grade school my friends and I would put together a top ten list every week and compare and discuss. Such good times....

Anyway, here is the current top 10 (in no order)

Zelda

Zelda 2

Pin Bot

Super Mario 3

Mega Man 2

Xexyz

Gargoyle’s Quest 2

Ninja Gaiden

Kid Icarus

POW