IGNORED

Mock up art for Save Mary 7800

Cousin Vinnie

I think everyone attempting to call any 2600 title a "7800" game needs to remember a couple of technical differences between the 2600 and 7800.

The 7800 was kind of built around three design goals.

1. To be backwards compatible with the 2600 out of the box (a big gripe with the 5200)

2. To have graphics and animation capabilities that were either comparable to or superior to arcade machines, consoles and computers of the day.

3. To be able to expand with additional peripherals.

Save Mary is NOT a 7800 game.

It doesn't run in "7800 mode".

It uses TIA to generate graphics, not MARIA.

The processor runs at 1.19 MHZ throughout, not 1.79 MHZ.

The game is a 16K bankswitched cartridge, not a 1 megabit bankswitched cartridge. Bankswitching is in 4K blocks, not 48K blocks.

The additional memory chips of the 7800 are not turned on.

It's a 2600 game that the repro people can't get to run properly on 2600 hardware, not a 7800 game. It shouldn't be advertised as such.

That's even stranger (to me anyways) that it won't run on regular 2600 hardware. Since the 7800 has to be used anyways, I say take the code and hack it to take advantage of 7800's chips. It could make a great entry for the contest.

Huh????

Of course it works on regular 2600 hardware. It isn't a 7800 game! A complimentary example would be the Cuttle Cart 2. It only works on 7800s, that doesn't make all the 2600 games on it 7800 games.

-Lee

That's even stranger (to me anyways) that it won't run on regular 2600 hardware. Since the 7800 has to be used anyways, I say take the code and hack it to take advantage of 7800's chips. It could make a great entry for the contest.

Huh????

Of course it works on regular 2600 hardware. It isn't a 7800 game! A complimentary example would be the Cuttle Cart 2. It only works on 7800s, that doesn't make all the 2600 games on it 7800 games.

-Lee

Save Mary has additional cart hardware that you have to shove in there to make it run on a 2600...otherwise, it works on a 7800.

Save Mary is being sold on a 7800 Supercart board - you would break it if you could get it to slot it in an actual 2600. It's on the 7800 board because it is much cheaper than trying to recreate a 2600 bank-switched cartridge with Sarah RAM. To get it to work on a 7800, the 2600 bank selected image was "unfolded" to a linear address mapping (which was how it was developed) and a RAM chip put on a 7800 Supercart. For those with binaries of the image, the first few instructions lock the 7800 and the official developer RAM board into 2600 mode.

Conclusion: It is being sold as for the 7800 because the physical cartridge will not fit, nor will the software as mapped, run on any 2600 hardware.

Tempest wrote:  

BTW awhile back I found a PAL version of Save Mary. If anyone needs the PAL version let me know. I meant to post this awhile back,b ut forgot.  

Tempest  

I'd like to see a copy.  

Mitch

Ok I'll dig it out and post it tonight.

Tempest

That's even stranger (to me anyways) that it won't run on regular 2600 hardware. Since the 7800 has to be used anyways, I say take the code and hack it to take advantage of 7800's chips. It could make a great entry for the contest.  8)

Save Mary is a great game as is. :thumbsup:

No hacks please :D

Is there an actual version/proto of this game for the 7800, or is this the 2600 game in a 7800 cart?

Just 2600, but obviously it will work on the 7800.

Tempest

Matt, I'm loving your new avatar... poor Pac Man, must be tough for him, being retired, the pension isn't paying out well, he got screw over on that royalty deal...

Now he sits home, a biter and washed up former vidgame celeb...

Curt

Is there an actual version/proto of this game for the 7800, or is this the 2600 game in a 7800 cart?

Just 2600, but obviously it will work on the 7800.

Tempest

Matt, I'm loving your new avatar... poor Pac Man, must be tough for him, being retired, the pension isn't paying out well, he got screw over on that royalty deal...

Now he sits home, a biter and washed up former vidgame celeb...

Curt

Don't forget the divorce from Ms. Pac-Man after she became more famous then him and started to date other celeberties like Donkey Kong.

Allan