IGNORED

Midi Mate for Midi Maze / Atari 8-Bits

Serblander

I'm looking for a Midi Mate (or similar) to hook up my XEGS with Midi Maze to my Atari ST's to have a cross-computer Midi Maze network.

Does anyone know where i can find one? Or anything else that is similar that i could use to link the two different systems together for this game?

The only info on the web that i have been able to find in regards to this is the following:

MIDIMATE and MIDITRACK II was developed by Hybrid Arts.

MIDIMATE is the only MIDI interface currently available for the Atari

8-bit computers that I am aware of. The MIDIMATE interface is nothing more than a small metal box with a cable that plugs into the free serial I/O

port on your Atari and jacks for MIDI in, MIDI out, sync in, and sync out.

It comes with a two six-foot DIN cables that connect its MIDI jacks to the

MIDI-compatible instruments, getting all the power it needs through the

serial cable.

I do not need anything fancy, just a simple way to connect the XEGS to the ST via the Midi In/Midi Out ports.

Any and all help will be GREATLY appreciated! :)

Mark over at sunmark.com sells midi maze in cartridge form for the 8bit, you might wanna email him and ask him if he knows where to get that interface you are talking about, im sure someone else will post with answers, but atleast you could get the ball rolling by send him an email with that question :)

I'm looking for a Midi Mate (or similar) to hook up my XEGS with Midi Maze to my Atari ST's to have a cross-computer Midi Maze network.  

Does anyone know where i can find one? Or anything else that is similar that i could use to link the two different systems together for this game?

The only info on the web that i have been able to find in regards to this is the following:

8-bit computers that I am aware of. The MIDIMATE interface is nothing more than a small metal box with a cable that plugs into the free serial I/O

serial cable.

I do not need anything fancy, just a simple way to connect the XEGS to the ST via the Midi In/Midi Out ports.

B & C ComputerVisions myatari.com bc800hw.txt

LAST CHANGE 6/22/2004

Hybrid Arts MIDI Music interface

ACA086 MIDIMATE INTERFACE NO SOF 49.95

ACA037 MIDITRACK II 800/800XL 69.95

ACA038 MIDITRACK III 130XE 69.95

Allan

serial cable.

B & C ComputerVisions myatari.com bc800hw.txt

LAST CHANGE 6/22/2004

Hybrid Arts MIDI Music interface

ACA086 MIDIMATE INTERFACE NO SOF 49.95

ACA037 MIDITRACK II 800/800XL 69.95

ACA038 MIDITRACK III 130XE 69.95

Allan

Thank's you for that ;) Now i just have to save up enough money to order this along with a whole bunch of other items from them - i mean, it wouldn't be polite to order just one... right?! :D

Hey, let me know when you get "MIDIMaze" up and running! I've been searching for a partner to try out the remote (long distance) two-player option, and I'd like to see if the instant messaging feature is easy to use, as well.  :)

Whoo-hoo! Will do ;) What type of modem will i need to use (/buy :x )?

I believe that "MIDIMaze" supports baud rates of up to 19.2K on any Hayes-compatible modem, but will have to check. I myself only have an old SX212 (1200 max!) but this should be fine for gameplay.

I'm not sure about compatibility with "MIDIMaze II". I have a MIDIMate unit myself, and will attempt to get a game going between my 1040STf and 130XE in the near future.

• 3 years later...

Does anybody succeed in playing Midimaze in midi network with Atari ST and XE in the midi ring?

We just tried that at PLatariada last weekend and we were not able to run it in such heterogeneous network. It looks like machines can talk together as it is possible to set names and teams but when we started the game just maze with initial position was displayed on both ST and XE computers but then the game froze and message "midi timeout" appears. I tried midimaze and midimaze plus. Maybe I have wrong version. But which version is the right one?

But good point is the Midimaze works nice in midi network from 8bit computers. Unfortunately we had not more interfaces so we could connect only 2 XE machines together. But it was fun. Here are some photos from the session: http://krupkaj.ic.cz/showpic.php?show=PLat...2008&obr=95

hmm,

so Midi Maze via (8Bit) networking works ok ?!? If I remember correctly it was Fandal who told me, that he tested it with Raster and it did not work at all, but maybe they were trying to network it with ST computers ?!? I am asking, since I have two Midi Maze carts, but no midi-interface yet... -Andreas Koch.

so Midi Maze via (8Bit) networking works ok ?!? If I remember correctly it was Fandal who told me, that he tested it with Raster and it did not work at all, but maybe they were trying to network it with ST computers ?!? I am asking, since I have two Midi Maze carts, but no midi-interface yet... -Andreas Koch.

Yes, at the time when we tried the Midimaze for the first time we didn't know how the interface Midimate works. Unfortunately original Midi Maze will work only with Midimate compatible interface. If you want to use simple midi interface (for example this one), you have to patch the Midimaze.

Unfortunately we was not able to play Midimaze in network with ST. In the manual which comes with XE Midimaze is written that this is possible. It looks like the version of ST Midimaze we have has slightly different protocol. So the question is which version will work.

Edited by krupkaj

Krupkaj forgot to mention that he made a MIDI interface for this occassion. It is similar to the MIDIMATE minus the synchro stuff. I'm sure Krupkaj will soon post the schematics somewhere if he hasn't done so already.

Could the few owners of an A8, a ST, a MIDIMATE and both MIDIMAZE versions please try to run them in this heterogenous MIDI network? :)

Hello pepax

No sychro stuff? Can it be added back in? And how hard would it be, to put a MIDI THRU port on there?

@All: How is this synchro stuff controlled? Or better yet, how much is the Atari involved in this? Is "Hey interface, start/stop synching" enough or do we loose a Pokey channel to this synching stuff?

Greetings

Mathy

Edited by Mathy

Hello pepax

No sychro stuff? Can it be added back in? And how hard would it be, to put a MIDI THRU port on there?

AFAIK you can easily add it and it will be an exact copy of the MIDIMATE then. It was not really necessary for playing MIDIMAZE. ;)

Ask Krupkaj for the schematics.

Hello pepax

I want a MIDI interface for networking games (not only Midi Maze). And I hope it will make it possible to really network. Meaning I want to send files from one computer to another.

I hope to see Jan and his interface at Fujiama 2008. (select "English" near the upper left corner)

Greetings

Mathy

Here is schematics of simplified Midimate. It is easy to add sync stuff which has the original version (it is controlled via SIO: input goes to SIO interupt pin, output from the SIO clock out - you can check it here). The same for MIDI THRU port.

I build the interface on universal PCB so if anybody creates PCB please let me know. I used 4MHz Xtall oscillator instead of Xtall + bunch of other components. This part is necessary for timing the MIDI speed for original Midimaze. Even MidiTrack III finds the interface.

post-2769-1214006747_thumb.png

BTW there is the MIDI interface from Polish guys for ages. So anybody could write networking software...

Edited by krupkaj

Hello Jan

Here is schematics of simplified Midimate. It is easy to add sync stuff which has the original version (it is controlled via SIO: input goes to SIO interupt pin, output from the SIO clock out - you can check it here). The same for MIDI THRU port.

Could you draw me a schematic for that? Maybe with the lines needed for the synch stuff and MIDI THRU in a different color, so that we can choose the options we want.

I might know somebody who can make some PCB's, but I'm not promissing anything.

BTW there is the MIDI interface from Polish guys for ages. So anybody could write networking software...

I link to their site is probably on my site. But I'm not sure if MidiTrack will recognise it. I was under the impression that MidiTrackIII is the best MIDI software for the Atari 8 bit computer.

Greetings

Mathy

I link to their site is probably on my site. But I'm not sure if MidiTrack will recognise it. I was under the impression that MidiTrackIII is the best MIDI software for the Atari 8 bit computer.

No MidiTrack III cannnot recognize this Polish interface as Midimate. Midi Track needs the external oscillator. BTW have somebody manual for Midi Track III?