IGNORED

Anyone thirsty for some PoP?

salstadt

Tnx all.

Am I the only one that can't download the binary? I've tried it in Safari and Chrome. Safari stalls at 6.9KB and Chrome can't even seem to start the download. Weird. :? The posted screen shots look great, though!

Perhaps because it's a .bin file. I'll post the zip, let me know if it works. This latest version includes some new sprites (crouching) and an incomplete (w.i.p.) drink animation, hold button + forward.

Another thing, on Stella emulator, you can press Alt+Z to disable the player character, then you can see only the missiles pixels that I spoke so many times about.

PrinceAnimation.zip

• Like 2

Am I the only one that can't download the binary? I've tried it in Safari and Chrome. Safari stalls at 6.9KB and Chrome can't even seem to start the download. Weird. :? The posted screen shots look great, though!

Perhaps because it's a .bin file. I'll post the zip, let me know if it works. This latest version includes some new sprites (crouching) and an incomplete (w.i.p.) drink animation, hold button + forward.

That worked! It looks fantastic. The feel is spot-on also. I love the shadow. Excellent work! :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys.

That worked! It looks fantastic. The feel is spot-on also. I love the shadow. Excellent work! :thumbsup:

I have the same problem last year, try to configure your firewall, setting this forum address as safe (you know the ROM files you're downloading are not a virus). BTW Stella loads .zip file, there's no need to uncompressed to test on emu.

Note : This last demo also is a bit faster, runs at 5 fps, the original PoP runs at 12 fps, once the sprites are smaller, it requires to run faster. I think the speed of animations is something around 5 or 6 fps, this must to be fixed in gameplay testing (you know, good timming to jump etc...)

Good question. :)

AFAIK, C64 version was not sold, you can download and play on a emulator (witch I need to try out, looks a great port) or load on a disk to play on real hardware. A fan game just as it. Usually softwares are "soft" about fan game related things (drawings, fan arts, cosplays etc...).

The 2600 will be sold in a cart, with manual and I hope, a box too. A fan game too, but with money things changes.

Prince of Persia still one of greatest video game franchise from a big software (Ubisoft). Certanly we don't wanna problems with them.

With Jordan Mechner authorization, will be like Halo. If I understand, Ed Fries have an authorization from Microsoft to make the game, nothing really technical, just an "ok". They know his game will not damage the Halo franshise because he was know by them and so on. Even if Jordan Mechner don't owns PoP rights anymore, Ubisoft will not be such disrespectful, I think. We will sell 150 or 200 carts with luck, like any other 2600 homebrew. We know we're not here for money, most of the price of the cart is to cover the costs of production but will Ubisoft understand it?

And for etics, as a foreiger don't want to people think I don't care about copyrights from others countries, even if it's an international law.

And finally will be really sad not be able to call this amazing project as "Prince of Persia". :)

Edited by LS_Dracon

• 3 months later...

Jordan posted the source code for Prince of Persia (Apple ][ version) on Github earlier this year.

blog post

http://jordanmechner.com/blog/2012/04/source/

source

https://github.com/jmechner/Prince-of-Persia-Apple-II

There's also his POP technical document here -> http://jordanmechner.com/wp-content/uploads/1989/10/popsource009.pdf

He has released some notes about POP development as an inexpensive eBook.

http://astore.amazon.com/jordanmechner-20/detail/B005WUE6Q2

• 7 months later...

No, sorry.

I'm working on personal projects (2 Atari 2600 games).

About POP, there's not much for me to do, just finish the skeleton and Jaffar fight animation (all sprites are done and needs small fixes).

Oh, I've developed a compress method that reduce by 2/3 the use of ROM for missiles tables, that was the big ROM eater, but I don't know if this code can be used in a game, because it's coded for Atari processor and the game is going to be a DPC+ game (uses an ARM processor). BTW 32kb is enough at any way.

• 2 weeks later...

We're waiting a better demo to show, perhaps a working stage 1 or something like that.

This project is really time consuming and is taking ages, but it's not like project CiE or Knight Rider, I'll supply sprite demos once I have something cool to show, and you already have the stage demo working too.

Me and Chris are busy working on others projects and for us, we never quit anything related to 2600 programming. Chris is working on Star Castle together with Thomas Jentzsch and I'm working on Super Pong among others stuffs.

Patience my friends. :)

I'm now playing Prince Of Persia on the gameboy. I'm surprised how this game still holds up after so many years. The controls are very good, I like the fact that the player is more or less positioned on a grid. After running/walking the player is always positioned between two tiles.

I'm now playing Prince Of Persia on the gameboy. I'm surprised how this game still holds up after so many years. The controls are very good, I like the fact that the player is more or less positioned on a grid. After running/walking the player is always positioned between two tiles.

Yes, master system version doesn't care about this and the game is almost unplayable.

Btw any news about BallBlazer? And that Sokoban game? ;)

Edited by LS_Dracon

• 1 month later...

Skeleton animation demo.

This character has no defense animation because it's invincible, you should push him, hitting with a sword, in order to force him to fall into a pit and be locked.

Once you load the demo the skeleton is dead as normally one skeleton should be.

Press up for giving a new life to our friend

Press left to walk to left

Press back for display "get hit" animation

Press fire button to attack anim.

Press reset to reset and be dead again.

You can't wrap around screen because some bugs in this kernel, I don't want to fix it right now.

And as aways it's not the final sprites, I'll work more on it other day.

skeleton.bin

post-10940-0-07590300-1379188757_thumb.jpg

Edited by LS_Dracon
  • Like 3

I'm glad to see something new from this project.

Next will be the Jaffar fighting animation.

The skeleton animating to 'life' is tremendous and gave me a little thrill to see. Great job on that one!

Thanks! BTW I would like to add more animation frames, I'm using the original amount (4 frames) I think this animation deserve more frames.

• 2 months later...

A simple but functional Jaffar animation demo.

post-10940-0-20803900-1387029904_thumb.jpg

Press left to walk, right to "get hit" and fire button to attack. I'll not convert others animations for now, but they're done.

That is, all the character are done, now I need fix some sprites that doesn't looks good to me (usually, I need to fix the feet, arms and head positions by 1 pixel or so).

BTW we already have all functional sprites, running on real hardware, for code the game. :)

jaffar.zip

• Like 1

No legal expert here, but you can only tell someone to cease and desist from making money from it, otherwise it's just a different "fan" media. They cannot stop people from drawing pictures of PoP, right? So this needs to be put on a cart and sent out with a box and manual for free!

...plus 50 dollars shipping and handling fees. ?

Edited by dubxcube

• 4 months later...