IGNORED

S-Video Jaguar Mod?

guitarmas

Is there such a thing to mod an Atari Jaguar to have a dedicated S-Video out connection?  Just curious.  Tell me your thoughts.

S-video is right there on the port on the back of the Jag.. it would just be a matter of soldering the wires to the port (on the inside) and drilling a hole in the case for the jack...

From the Jag faq:

Pinouts for Jaguar Video Cable

(view is looking at the rear of the Jaguar)

01A 02A 03A 04A 05A 06A 07A 08A 09A 10A 11A 12A

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

01B 02B 03B 04B 05B 06B 07B 08B 09B 10B 11B 12B

01A - Left Audio           01B - Right Audio

02A - Audio Ground         02B - Audio Ground

04A - Chroma Ground        04B - Red

05A - Blue                 05B - Composite Sync (can also be used

06A - Horizontal Sync                            for vertical sync)

07A - Green                07B - Luma Ground

08A - Chroma               08B - Luma

10B - Video Ground

11A - +10V power supply    11B - Composite Video

Hello,

Is there such a thing to mod an Atari Jaguar to have a dedicated S-Video out connection?  Just curious.  Tell me your thoughts.
I take you know that you can buy a Jaguar S-Video cable,

as well as composite video, with the 3 jacks - video, and audio left/right.

Also an RGB SCART (AKA Peritel) cable, for Europe, or composite video

to SCART, both of which also provide audio left/right for stereo bliss. :D

The Jaguar has very flexible video out, but for best quality use RGB. :)

Cheers,

JustClaws.

Hello,

I take you know that you can buy a Jaguar S-Video cable,

as well as composite video, with the 3 jacks - video, and audio left/right.

Also an RGB SCART (AKA Peritel) cable, for Europe, or composite video

to SCART, both of which also provide audio left/right for stereo bliss. :D

The Jaguar has very flexible video out, but for best quality use RGB. :)

Cheers,

JustClaws.

Sigh...yes I know that. I have an Atari brand s-video cable that I use. I was just looking for scematics to make a S-Video out on the back of the console.....without using the Atari S-Video cables.

Hello,

Sigh...yes I know that.  I have an Atari brand s-video cable that I use.  I was just looking for scematics to make a S-Video out on the back of the console.....without using the Atari S-Video cables.
OK, I didn't mean to patronize you, but not everybody does know.

The idea of a dedicated port does appeal, but being in Europe, I tend

to use SCART, I have almost nothing with S-Video input or output here.

Cheers,

JustClaws.

A couple of newbie questions here:

Is there A COMPONENT A/V cable for the Jag available commercially?

If not does someone know of a Digikey or other P/N for the 24 pin A/V edgecard connector?

What is the difference between S-video and RGB appearance wise??

Is RGB significantly better or about the same?

I was thinking since I got this new TV with RGB inputs... Well the Jag would look really great instead of the RF switch input.

Any voices of experience and knowledge out there?

TIA

Is there A COMPONENT A/V cable for the Jag available commercially?

If not does someone know of a Digikey or other P/N for the 24 pin A/V edgecard connector?

I was thinking since I got this new TV with RGB inputs... Well the Jag would look really great instead of the RF switch input.

Any voices of experience and knowledge out there?  

TIA

Hey, thanks for having the courage to ask for the rest of us. hehe ;)

Thanks for the link. It is starting to be clear. I knew the RGB jacks on the back of the TV was too easy! So you can't use a TV with RGB RCA jacks because it is a color difference and you can't use a newer computer monitor because they don't scan horizontally SLOW enough, so you are stuck with an older RGB analog monitor for the Jag? Am I getting the basic idea?

So the best easiest for good color is S-video then?

Thanks for the link. It is starting to be clear. I knew the RGB jacks on the back of the TV was too easy! So you can't use a TV with RGB RCA jacks because it is a color difference and you can't use a newer computer monitor because they don't scan horizontally SLOW enough, so you are stuck with an older RGB analog monitor for the Jag? Am I getting the basic idea?

Yes...

If you are in an NTSC region, your best bet is s-video - particularly if you want to use a television.

Yeah I did it for under 10 bucks:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13514

The rule of thumb I heard is that if you say composite is 50 and component is 100, then s-video would be about 90, almost as good.

The EASIEST for best picture is indeed S-video. But, I'm sure if anyone ever wanted to tackle the project, it might be possible to build a "converter box" for Jaguar RGB to component video. A circuit that could adjust the brightness and color levels and sync rates to that of Component video.

But, the easiest way to get S-video on the Jag is not by doing a S-video "mod" to install an S-video jack on it, but just to buy or make an S-video cable to plug into the rear of the Jaguar. I really see no good reason at all to waste money and time installing an S-video Jack in the Jaguar when the purchased or made cables work great. It *may* be cheaper, if you already have standard S-video cable, but the hacking on the Jaguar doesn't make sense when ther is no need. It's not like doing a 7800 mod for S-video since it has NO S-video output. The Jag does...

Does someone know of a Digikey or other P/N for the 24 pin A/V edgecard connector?

The DIGIKEY part number is S1126-ND.

The SULLINS part number is EZC12DCWN.

The DIGIKEY page is

http://www.digikey.com/scripts/dksearch/dk...C12DCWN&site=us

The part's picture is

http://rocky.digikey.com/WebLib/Sullins/We...s/EZC12DCWN.jpg

Somewhere I have a Commodore 1302? monitor, but I don't  think it is RGB is it? Any of you guys know? I am pretty sure it has chroma and Luma..

I did a YAHOO search for "Commodore 1302 pinout" and didn't find anything. Are you sure its a 1302 and not a 1702(A) or 1902(A)?

I did however find a site listing commodeore monitors with pictures:

http://www.amiga-hardware.com/showcat.cgi?CATID=26

And also a site listing possible 15khz compatible monitors:

http://www.msxpro.com/mon15khz.html

Well the Jag would look really great instead of the RF switch input.

TIA

S-video is probably as good as you'll be able to percieve - because of the JAG's low resolution (less noise produced because of the lower pixel clock frequency) as compared to other higher resolution sources like DVD players and the newer game systems. There's a very noticable difference between S-video & composite (much less flicker on big screens) that it would be worth $35 for an S-video cable - especially if you're playing AVP or developing new games with your Alpine Dev System.

As for the picture quality from the RF modulator, well let's just say that on all but two of my JAG's (I have 20 of them & 10 with CD units BTW :D ) they've been desoldered and removed to make room for a NTSC/PAL switch.

Here's a link to a page with descriptions and pinouts for component, S-video, composite, scart, etc (you should follow many of the links on the page for more info on each subject).

http://www.interfacebus.com/Design_Connect...ctor_Video.html

For the description of the component video pinouts read the part that starts out "YPbPr is 'sometimes' used when discussing ..."

Hmmm, I've heard of the Scart cable.  But I know absolutely nothing about it.  Is it much better than S-video?  Like I said I'm ignorant when it comes to that.  

Do you know of a site with specific detailed info on the Scart deal?

Check the link above.

You can remove the useless RF modulator and thread a combined Audio & S-Video cable through the hole (or a strain relief) and solder the correct wires to the sides of the inductors (Lxx) that lead directly to the edge connector that correspond to the signals for CHROMA, LUMA, LEFT & RIGHT AUDIO. That way you won't damage the case. Or you can at least have extra room to place jacks there.

S-video is probably as good as you'll be able to percieve - because of the JAG's low resolution (less noise produced because of the lower pixel clock frequency) as compared to other higher resolution sources like DVD players and the newer game systems. There's a very noticable difference between S-video & composite (much less flicker on big screens) that it would be worth $35 for an S-video cable - especially if you're playing AVP or developing new games with your Alpine Dev System.

Rubbish. From daily experience, RGB craps all over S-video from a great height. It's a lossy format, remember...

Stone

Rubbish. From daily experience, RGB craps all over S-video from a great height. It's a lossy format, remember...

Stone

I'll second that. I have both RGB and S-video now, and although I still play a bit more on my S-video setup, becuase it's a 27" screen compared to my 13" RGB screen, but the RGB picture makes S-video look like RF by comparison. (compared to RF vs. S-video: same difference in jump of quality).