IGNORED

My wierd 4 port

FABombjoy

Hello all,

I'm new here, so forgive if this has been covered before...

I have an odd 4 port that I haven't been able to find any info on. It has 4 ports, but has the 2 port power and RF type hookups. S/N is A175 2169783. Has anybody else seen a 5200 like this before?

Thanks for any info

-Luke

So your four-port works with a regular (2600/7800) style RF switch box? I'm really not surprised. For some reason there are a lot variations in these consoles. At one time I had a 2-port that didn't work with the 2600 adapter, WTF? Currently, I have a 2-port that plays the games that it shouldn't (i.e pitfall). ????? It sounds like a cool console, 4-joystick ports and no funny swtchbox. Definately a keeper.

If you plug the power supply into the back of the console and not the RF switchbox then you have a factory modified unit. The holes were drilled into the housing and the board modified. If you still use the old RF box that the power plugs into then you have one of the rare universal board 4 ports that can use the VCS adapter to play 2600 games, IMHO the best 5200 to own.

quote:

Originally posted by :

If you plug the power supply into the back of the console and not the RF switchbox then you have a factory modified unit. The holes were drilled into the housing and the board modified. If you still use the old RF box that the power plugs into then you have one of the rare universal board 4 ports that can use the VCS adapter to play 2600 games, IMHO the best 5200 to own.

The casing is actually unmodified, it is a factory cast. Perhaps the bottom is from a 2-port model... I've never inspected a 2-port up close. There are some apparently hand done soldiering connections inside. Basically, I originally had a 4 port (back when they were new). Sometime around '86, the switchbox busted, and I called Atari. I sent in the old 4 port, and got this new one. Since there is no * in the serial number, I'm not sure if it is compatible with the 2600 adapter or not. It may be some frankenstien 5200 put together from a back stock of parts, and a tech did the power mod... tough to tell, really. Kinda neat, tho.

I've got a four port model with the power in on the RF box. Are the only four port models that work with the 2600 adapter ones that have the asterisk(*) in the serial number? or are there others? It doesn't really matter to me if mine is compatible because I have a 7800 and play all my 2600 games on it, so I have no reason to get the 5200, 2600 adapter, but as a collector, I like to know what I have. I know I looked at the serial number once, and if I remember correctly it does not have an asterisk in it. Just curious if those are the only ones that are 2600 adapter compatible.

quote:

Originally posted by The Helper:

My 4 port works with the 2600 adaptor. I have no idea whether its been modified or not, I am not the original owner. Now if I just had some freaking joysticks that worked

I could send you a controller that works mostly, if you have a controller that at least has use of the Start/pause buttons, As this one does not. I have it to use as a second player controller where those buttons aren't necessarily needed. But I only have one fully functional controller and one fully functional paddle. There are some here that practically brag about having upwards of 15 controllers they have, maybe one of them could spare one? Come on guys, it's not like you need 15 controllers to play the console...

Gunstar.

quote:

Originally posted by 10270:

The casing is actually unmodified, it is a factory cast. Perhaps the bottom is from a 2-port model... I've never inspected a 2-port up close. There are some apparently hand done soldiering connections inside. Basically, I originally had a 4 port (back when they were new). Sometime around '86, the switchbox busted, and I called Atari. I sent in the old 4 port, and got this new one. Since there is no * in the serial number, I'm not sure if it is compatible with the 2600 adapter or not. It may be some frankenstien 5200 put together from a back stock of parts, and a tech did the power mod... tough to tell, really. Kinda neat, tho.

What you most likely have is the universal board. They used the two port bottom housings (hence the hole for the power input) so you are correct in your case. The modified 4 ports did have the hole drilled and the power jack soldered to the pc board so that you could use the standard RF box. Just don't use these units with the old powered switchboxes, you'll fry your TV tuner!

quote:

Originally posted by Gunstar:

I've got a four port model with the power in on the RF box. Are the only four port models that work with the 2600 adapter ones that have the asterisk(*) in the serial number? Just curious if those are the only ones that are 2600 adapter compatible.

Yes, these are the ones. They are the best 5200 consoles to have, since they can use the VCS adapter, and will play ALL 5200 games including Pitfall! and Mountain King (the 2 port will not play these two). And the universal boards still use the CX522 switchbox that the power plugs into. I have several Atari factory mod kits if you ever decide to modify your original 5200 board.

quote:

Originally posted by TunnelRunner:

Originally posted by Gunstar:

...and will play ALL 5200 games including Pitfall! and Mountain King (the 2 port will not play these two). And the universal boards still use the CX522 switchbox that the power plugs into.

Although for the most part true, 2-ports won't play these games. Some will though; I have a 2-port that plays these games. I know Mitch has one too, and there must be others outhere.

I really prefer the standard RF switchbox because I can leave it on the TV all the time. It just makes it easier for me to switch between my 7800 and 5200. Although the automatic function of the powered RF is really nice. As far as the four ports, I could live without them. Not really too many games that use the four ports. It a matter of prefrence I guess. IMHO, the 4-port that uses the standard RF is the best to own.