IGNORED

My first lynx game ;)

_cooper_

Hello :)

In order to test the C compiler, i did a little game in one evening, called Knight Moves. The goal of the game is to go on each tile, in the less amount of moves. You can go twice on a tile. You can move the horse like in a chess game (in 'L' shape).

This is just an example game for me, so don't mail me if there are some bugs, i willn't correct them ;)

Two pictures :

Title pic :

knight1.jpg

In-game :

knight2.jpg

The file : .o lynx file

Have fun :D

This looks like a really fun and different minigame. I look forward to trying it out this week!

OK, I tried it out tonight. Impressive! Couple of areas of feedback for you:

* Performance seems to slow down towards the end of the game for me. I was getting immediate feedback at the start, but by the end it was at least a quarter-second delay before the game would respond to a button press.

* Would be nice to make the cursor change colors (maybe to green) when you land on a valid move square. Audio feedback for attempted bad moves (a short buzzer or whatever) would also be nice.

* Would be nice to let the user select a variable size board, or at least select from several pre-sized boards. The latter would allow you to show the same "best solution" number at the end, which is a nice touch. More boards would also increase replayability, since if a player ever got the optimal solution, there's not much point in playing again.

* How about turn-based 2-player support (or more) with multiple knights on the game board? Then you could score points until you can't move to a blank square any more. It would need some playtesting to see if this is viable, but it could make it an interesting competitive game.

Overall, this is a very cool first effort. Keep making some improvements to it, and you'll have a great minigame on your hands. :)

Edited by Songbird

wow, thanks for this report :)

Regarding the slowdown, i was aware of this, but i was hoping nobody see it ;)

It's because i'm always drawing the grid during the game. It was the fastest way i found due to some parts of my code... but it can be easily enhanced i think.

I'll write the other ideas down, and try to add them when i'll be motivated again on this little minigame. And thanks again for giving them ;)