IGNORED

2600 Mods

keilbaca

They are 2.6VDC, 28mA, 10mcd(no clue what the last of that means)...

If you think a 1/4 watt resistor will work, I'll pick one up and wire it in the output line(I'm guessing this is where it goes?) I'm guessing, so correct me if I'm wrong, but it can go anywhere in the line(before the LED, of course)...or would it be best to just splice it early in the wire from the 7805?

1014000[/snapback]

A series circuit makes no difference what order the components are in, so put the resistor wherever it's easiest to install or fits best.

10mcd is the LED's brightness (in this case, very dim for direct viewing, not to light anything else up). Using your LED's specs (I assume they are for the green ones, since 2.6 volts is rather high for red), I calculate the minimum resistance value as [5.0 - 2.6] / [0.028] = 86 ohms. The next higher standard values are 91, 100, 110, or 120 ohms.

Actually, those were from the red ones.....I thought the green were the same, but they aren't. 2.1V, 25mA, 6.3mcd are the green ones.

I didn't know there was a difference...but I think knowing that, that I will put one of the green ones in. I bought them just in case I decided to put the "expert" mod in later.

May not be as bright, but it'll draw less power.

• 2 months later...

Well sorry for the long wait... but here's what's happening.

The roomates are moving out Tuesday, so if I ever did have a chance to ship them out, there's hardly any chance now. Besides, I'm moving in a few months, back home. Now, back home, I have a post office right down the street, and transportation there. Expect the mods to continue around July/August timeframe.

I'm also looking into doing a new a/v mod for the 4 switch atari's, basically giving Ben's new a/v mod a try. Its looking good so far, and with what little time I do have spare, I have been working on my Atari in the PC project. The picture is looking fantastic using Ben's mod, however, I don't think I CAN use his mod to mod atari's on here, as it is HIS mod, and not something I did. I am using different value resistors though...

And for those of you interested, when I'm done with my Atari in the PC mod, I'm going to be tackling a 2nd one, this time, a two cd rom slot variation, one slot to put in the cart, and one to house the switches, joystick ports, etc. THAT one will be going for sale here on atariage, if anyone is interested, but don't expect that to be done till around november or december.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Looks like im gonna have to look into this! Looks like your doing a great job!! I have a 2600 4 switch "vader" and the led's look really cool!! One question, what exactly does the battery do? Maybe you already answered this question but I didn't catch it. Thanks a ton!!

Edited by 2600lover

Looks like im gonna have to look into this! Looks like your doing a great job!! I have a 2600 4 switch "vader" and the led's look really cool!! One question, what exactly does the battery do? Maybe you already answered this question but I didn't catch it. Thanks a ton!!

It powers the unit in place of the wall-wart.

Umm... Why in the heck would you want to power your console with a battery instead of a power supply? Curious.

Partially, so you won't waste money on a new power supply, if it's the main unit that's bad. The battery hook-up was very easy to do. No modding to the case was needed.

This was how I found out it was my PS that was bad. Less than $2.00 in parts, and a few minutes hooking it up...and I found out that my Atari was still alive. At that point, I had no problem buying a new PS.

You could also have the unit become a portable, should you have a small portable TV to hook it into. The battery only lasts about 4 hours, but aside from just having your games available...it'll freak out anyone that doesn't know it could be done. :D

Umm... Why in the heck would you want to power your console with a battery instead of a power supply? Curious.

Hey, I did it I don't have enough outlets behind my TV and one time I plugged two power strips together and blew a fuse. Batterys are HANDY.

• 3 months later...