IGNORED

Acornsofts/Firebird's A8 Version of Elite etc.

I remember reading in the old Atari user (database) magazine that either acornsoft or firebird (owned by BT) were going to release a version of the classic BBC game 'Elite', rumour has it that a version was almost complete but wasn't released because 'it looked too good', as in , better then the C64/speecy/bbc versions

I remember in recent years that 'wrathchild' was planning to code an a8 version, which for reasons best known to him, basically stopped coding it

Question is, was 'wrathchild's' version a complete re-write or did/does he have access to the original acornsoft/firebird a8 source code

And as 'wrathchild' still has the source code for his 'elite' and if it was a complete re write (not based on the firebird/acornsoft jobbie) will he pass it on to someone willing to bring this game to market

Alternatively if anyone knows where the original source code is (Acornsoft/Firebird version) how about working that source code, as apparently it was nearly complete (from what i read)

Also going back to Database/Atari user mag, i also remember an article about UK software companies (one's mentioned include USG/Gremlin graphics, Melbourne house and Alligator Amongst others) allowing software publishers in certain mainland european markets to convert/port some of their UK games over to the A8 but only in certain mainland EU markets (i.e not for selling in the UK), the ports or conversions were prodominantly from C64/Amstrad/Spectrum games, one of the titles mentioned was 'exploding fist', a photo of which accompanied the article, the european markets mentioned were spain and italy and the price point that each game was being sold for was less then an equivalent game in the UK

My question is, does/did these ports/conversions actually exist or still exist, and if so how about converting them to ATr format, so that everyone can enjoy them, as i'm guessing that program rights/copyright etc are long since expired

Of the lost ports from the companies you list , I only know of one so far un-documented - TRAP by Alligata, a shoot 'em up...

I once had a version on floppy, coded by Russel Knight, but have long since lost it :-(

sTeVE

P.S. I would be highly skeptical of the A8 elite rumors, I worked with loads of BT people (when Firebird et al became Microprose) and none of them new a sausage about this version...

Question is, was 'wrathchild's' version a complete re-write or did/does he have access to the original acornsoft/firebird a8 source code

Effectively I do ;) , I took a C64 memory snapshot and disassembled it.

I just had to work out names for memory locations/functions/routines/tables etc :(

After re-working the line drawing routines to the Atari screen layout things

pretty much fell into place.

I've mentioned it on other threads so please find and read those.

But here's my memories/feelings on the subject:

Primarily family issues at the time put paid to a lot of my A8 development.

Secondly, David Braben got angered by some goings on with some release

(PDA/gameboy type thing IIRC). This went so far as 'pulling' sources from

previously 'OK' releases such as Christian Pinder's excellent Elite-TNG.

I had been in contact with Christian and Ian Bell during the early days

of development and both gave help (ship data structure details and more).

Despite many attempted contacts with DB/Frontier over the years I have

never had any response - but I believe this ties with his policy of not

answering any questions regarding the original Elite.

Hence I feel saddened enough not to continue but also as- Thirdly,

development had got to a pivotal point. Having got a demo running

with pretty much the same code as the C64, i.e. all the correct 'random'

seeds working so that the Galaxy/Local maps & Planet names/prices have

the original's values, the next stage would be to add a controlling 'game loop'.

By this I mean a sort of state-engine, e.g. if in this state and this key is

pressed go to another state. For this too occur two things need to happen.

1) I need to understand the use of a few more memory locations and code

related to the game state in the C64 version and 2) An Atari key handler

routine needs to be written to replace the C64's. It does 'keyboard-scan'

resulting in an array [1 entry for each key] so that you can see what is

pressed. The C64 therefore can support more than 1 key being pressed

simultaneously as the keyboard is effectively broken into little blocks.

The Atari keyboard works differently - one key at a time.

So a new routine can be done for the Atari - I just hadn't gotten onto it.

After getting the game-loop going, the next step would have been to

add the ability to fly around outside of the space-station. Following

on from that would be seeing the 'stars' and then doing 'hyperspacing'.

Then actual 'logic' could be added, enemies, combat, sun-skimming

and finally missions. So, as you see, still a fair amount of work.

Yes, Elite is a holy-grail for us Atarians, but I can't see it happening

for a long time yet. Perhaps you could all petition DB for me? :D

Regards,

Mark

RE Carmel's subject - I think I recall Ian Bell telling me that an A8 version was never worked upon, but I can't find that email.

865606[/snapback]

Well... that is strange, as in the mailbag section of the same magazine (different issues) there were people claiming that they had copies (must have been pirated) of a WIP A8 version

If you go manage to find Mr Brabens Email addr. do post it to these forum, so that we can all petition him

What i will do is dig out the specific editions mentioned and type out the articles concerned just to prove that there could be a element of truth in what i was saying

"Well... that is strange, as in the mailbag section of the same magazine (different issues) there were people claiming that they had copies (must have been pirated) of a WIP A8 version"

Ever considered they might not have been telling the truth?

Since I am giving you reliable first hand information - I worked with MANY ex-Telecomsoft people and Mark has actually had correspondance with the creators of the game, I would kinda consider an unsolicited mail in a 15 year old magazine has less provedence...

Companies announced HUNDREDS of games were in development that NEVER appeared...

To be honest I doubt David Braben would give his blessing even despite any kind of petition. The fabled Palm version (which does exist and is complete as far as I can tell) was yanked because Braben refused to grant permission -- and plenty of Palm users E-Mailed him about it, too.

The funny thing is Ian Bell was all for it -- but as David held the copyright, Ian's permission didn't count for much.

Just the same, Ian Bell has a great Elite website that includes existing versions for various platforms in their emulatable image formats, as well as unpublished demos for Gameboy, Genesis and -- yes, Atari 8-bit (an unofficial port).

And for what it's worth, you can E-Mail David Braben from his Frontier Developments website.

There may not have ever been an Elite port toi the A8 as Jetboot has told us, but I'm almost positive that I've played a CLONE of the game on the A8 at least, it even had the same classical music (can't think of it right now, but the 2001 stuff) as Elite plays while checking out the polygon ships at the beginning. So, I did some searching, I have yet to find the exact clone I'm thinking of, but I did find some similiar games fit the A8: 'Freetrader' was one, it's definately an attempt at an Elite-like game, but it's done in BASIC and is very slow (though if played in TB it might help), another is called 'Quest for the Space Beaglem which is done very well, from what I can tell, but I need docs. the last is called 'Shadow Hawk', but this one is more like a polygonal Star Raiders it seems. I'm almost positive there is another clone out there that is very close to Elite though, I'm going to keep searching for it, I think I have it somewhere on my PC HD or a CD...

• 2 years later...
There may not have ever been an Elite port toi the A8 as Jetboot has told us, but I'm almost positive that I've played a CLONE of the game on the A8 at least, it even had the same classical music (can't think of it right now, but the 2001 stuff) as Elite plays while checking out the polygon ships at the beginning. So, I did some searching, I have yet to find the exact clone I'm thinking of, but I did find some similiar games fit the A8: 'Freetrader' was one, it's definately an attempt at an Elite-like game, but it's done in BASIC and is very slow (though if played in TB it might help), another is called 'Quest for the Space Beaglem which is done very well, from what I can tell, but I need docs. the last is called 'Shadow Hawk', but this one is more like a polygonal Star Raiders it seems. I'm almost positive there is another clone out there that is very close to Elite though, I'm going to keep searching for it, I think I have it somewhere on my PC HD or a CD...

Any luck on finding that clone?

I'm in the progress of seeing if I can make my demo code work from a cart image, although currently it seems like the code layout is more suited to a 64K machine (i.e. as the c64) as the bank switching required to make it run in 48K would be a little more complex (but not impossible). As usual, any progress will be posted to this forum.

I remember reading in the old Atari user (database) magazine that either acornsoft or firebird (owned by BT) were going to release a version of the classic BBC game 'Elite', rumour has it that a version was almost complete but wasn't released because 'it looked too good', as in , better then the C64/speecy/bbc versions

So the Queen of England put a stop to it becuse it would show up two of the British computers and one unrelated American one?

I have never ever had a chance to use this smiley, but for those Atari magazine loonies who wrote that, they deserve: :roll:

Edited by FastRobPlus