IGNORED

trackball test program (centipede-tb)

kenfused

trackball test program

880479[/snapback]

This trakball test program looks alot like Centipede for the 7800! :D And it works with my CX22 Trakball too! :D Great hack Ken! It is amazing control! :D Just perfect! Thanks!

7800 console with AV mod and CC2.

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

Edited by Rob Mitchell

Holy Shit.

Ken Siders is the Official Jedi Master of the Atari 7800.

CX-80 works PERFECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you do this to Food Fight?

Oddly enough, the model I have is a CX-80, and works GREAT with Ken's Centipede hack, but when I tried Tom J's 2600 Missile Command TB hack, the CX-80 version wouldn't work with my particular Trak-Ball, but the CX-22 version of Missile Command did.

But Ken's Centipede control is also Smooth as butter, whereas Tom's Missile command is still kind a jerky, almost too sensitive.

Is it possible that I have the guts of a CX-22 in the casing or a CX-80? Normally the CX-22 had a white ball, and teh buttons were round, like arcade buttons. The CX-80 has a Black ball, and the fire buttone are triangular(and more sturdy). This is the body/ball style I have, but it behaves like a CX-22.

Weird.

Anyway, THANKS KEN!!!!!

Edited by Danno

Holy Shit.

Ken Siders is the Official Jedi Master of the Atari 7800.

CX-80 works PERFECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you do this to Food Fight?

Oddly enough, the model I have is a CX-80, and works GREAT with Ken's Centipede hack, but when I tried Tom J's 2600 Missile Command TB hack, the CX-80 version wouldn't work with my particular Trak-Ball, but the CX-22 version of Missile Command did.

But Ken's Centipede control is also Smooth as butter, whereas Tom's Missile command is still kind a jerky, almost too sensitive.

Is it possible that I have the guts of a CX-22 in the casing or a CX-80? Normally the CX-22 had a white ball, and teh buttons were round, like arcade buttons. The CX-80 has a Black ball, and the fire buttone are triangular(and more sturdy). This is the body/ball style I have, but it behaves like a CX-22.

Weird.

Anyway, THANKS KEN!!!!!

880649[/snapback]

There are two different versions of the CX-80, one is compatible with the CX-22 and the other is compatible with the STM1 Atari mouse. You apparently have the one that is CX-22 compatible. :)

Mitch

This was just a quick test and there currently isn't support for a second trackball, and it is not going to work with the HSC unless there is a way to give the HSC an alternate input routine it can call [or update the HSC code to support this trackball].

Note that Centipede (and the HSC I assume) already have support for a 7800 trackball that doesn't exist. The ideal solution would be for someone to make an adapter using the 7800 trackball schematics that are available on a website. The 7800 trackball would have kept counters internally and reduced the cpu load of having to read the inputs several times a frame.

Cool... too bad that I don't have a trackball :(

880855[/snapback]

I would have worked on this a long time ago if it hadn't took me about three weeks to get the one I won on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...me=STRK:MEWN:IT.

880858[/snapback]

I guess you must have won one of the CX-22 compatable CX-80s. :)

Mitch

880855[/snapback]

I would have worked on this a long time ago if it hadn't took me about three weeks to get the one I won on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...me=STRK:MEWN:IT.

880858[/snapback]

Mitch

880892[/snapback]

Hmmm. It is actually a CX22 trackball. The ball is not black as it is on the box though.

880855[/snapback]

880858[/snapback]

Mitch

880892[/snapback]

Hmmm. It is actually a CX22 trackball. The ball is not black as it is on the box though.

881529[/snapback]

Ah, you're right, when I first looked at it, it looked like a CX-80 but after staring at the picture I can see it's actually a CX-22. Whoops. :D

Mitch

Should now support two trackballs and the trackball should work with the High Score Cart.

The following does not work yet:

2 players sharing one trackball option

The follow isn't tested yet (because I am too lazy to keep plugging and unplugging):

Player two trackball in the HSC.

centitb.zip

Edited by kenfused

I cannot tell you how cool this is!!! Thanks Kenfused! Just out of curiosity, was it hard figuring out how to get the trackball working. Any info might help future prgrammers who want to use the trackball in their program.

Allan

I cannot tell you how cool this is!!! Thanks Kenfused! Just out of curiosity, was it hard figuring out how to get the trackball working. Any info might help future prgrammers who want to use the trackball in their program.

Allan

882619[/snapback]

Eric Ball had already posted some code in his blog recently, plus I had seen routines to read the ST mouse using DLI's on the 8-bit in Analog years ago I had played with. My code is sort of similiar to Eric's except I read bits from the carry flag vs. shifting a value and using BIT.

The two players sharing one trackball option now works I think.  WIth any luck I didnt break any of the other two player options.

Only thing left to do is probably a few changes to the title screen and probably make it a different high score cart entry than normal centipede.

883326[/snapback]

Any chance of posting one with a header (*.a78 file)? Please :)

-Trebor

• Like 1

The two players sharing one trackball option now works I think.  WIth any luck I didnt break any of the other two player options.

Only thing left to do is probably a few changes to the title screen and probably make it a different high score cart entry than normal centipede.

883326[/snapback]

Any chance of posting one with a header (*.a78 file)? Please :)

-Trebor

883713[/snapback]

Won't do you any good. None of the Current 7800 emulators support input from the trak-ball.

880855[/snapback]

880858[/snapback]

You shouldve asked - I have a spare I wouldve lent ya :) - For an 800 Zoo Keeper :D

• 2 months later...
  • 7 years later...
If I don't already have a trackball, which one works best with this mod - the CX-22 or the CX-80?

See my most recent post in your other thread. To summarize: others may feel differently, but I found the CX80 to be the better trackball. It's also readily available NIB from several sources at very reasonable prices.