IGNORED

Jet Set Willy - the game

miker

Yes, this is the map from atari8.info. I see other, different map at any number of Bajtek (old polish paper magazine). But, unfortunatelly - are some different. And, is one problem - in one place, when you go in comnat with Willi, game are crashet (i hear about it - i dislike this game ;) ). So, Miker's question was: Is good, fully working version Jet Set Willi on Atari? Or: Is anyone finishted this game on Atari ang go in to sleeping room?

miker asks IF ANYONE HAS FUCKING EVER FINISHED that game?

And you, presumably believing you're very helpful, give hints about the MAP, or Speccy version. WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU? We all know too well where the map is because it was published a lot, and we know that atari version SUCKS BALLS the speccy version. But this is not the scope of the question.

READ and UNDERSTAND before you speak. And don't tell me you aren't native speakers of English. Miker isn't either, I am not as well.

Now, you can eat me.

EDIT: ofcourse, i made a typo. atari version sucks compared to speccy. :)

Edited by mikey

And you, presumably believing you're very helpful, give hints about the MAP, or Speccy version. WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU? We all know too well where the map is because it was published a lot, and we know that atari  version SUCKS BALLS the speccy version. But this is not the scope of the question.

READ and UNDERSTAND before you speak. And don't tell me you aren't native speakers of English. Miker isn't either, I am not as well.

Now, you can eat me.

EDIT: ofcourse, i made a typo. atari version sucks  compared to speccy. :)

949603[/snapback]

And what do you expect from lamer?

F.

Men, please listen. The question Miker asked was not "how to complete the game" or "where is the map for the game" or "were you ever playing the game on any platform it was released for". The question he's asking is, if there's anyone who ever completed the game on Atari.

This question is to be understood litterally, and the answer is expected from someone who either has completed the game, or knows for sure that it cannot be completed. In any case, the answer is expected from an experienced JSW player, whereas most of the replies here, with all due respect, look like written by people who barely know what the "Jet Set Willy" is.

Miker's post is a spinoff of a discuss that took place at the AtariArea (here - obviously all in Polish). There are people who claim they collected all the items (a number of 73 is mentioned), yet the wife still doesn't allow to get into the bedroom.

Also there are some indications that the Willy's house in the Atari version should contain more rooms than it is actually visible on any map published, Fandal.

So the question is directed to someone, who can actually confirm or deny, that the total number of items to be collected is 73, that the total number of rooms is 52, and that the game can be completed some way.

Edited by drac030

Men, please listen. The question Miker asked was not "how to complete the game" or "where is the map for the game" or "were you ever playing the game on any platform it was released for". The question he's asking is, if there's anyone who ever completed the game on Atari.

This question is to be understood litterally, and the answer is expected from someone who either has completed the game, or knows for sure that it cannot be completed. In any case, the answer is expected from an experienced JSW player, whereas most of the replies here, with all due respect, look like written by people who barely know what the "Jet Set Willy" is.

Miker's post is a spinoff of a discuss that took place at the AtariArea (here - obviously all in Polish). There are people who claim they collected all the items (a number of 73 is mentioned), yet the wife still doesn't allow to get into the bedroom.

Also there are some indications that the Willy's house in the Atari version should contain more rooms than it is actually visible on any map published, Fandal.

So the question is directed to someone, who can actually confirm or deny, that the total number of items to be collected is 73, that the total number of rooms is 52, and that the game can be completed some way.

949777[/snapback]

I understood the question very well!

Unfortunately the only thing I was able to do was to send link to that map as I didn't play JSW too much. Of course it was stupid idea! I apologize for it as it couldn't help you.

F.

So maybe it's good idea to patch this game this way: collect at least 52 items & go back to wife to bring her some heaven... :D

Topic rating: 2/10 (you could do much better)

949827[/snapback]

Hmm... I tried for something but I wasn't successful. Memory location $061B = number of collected items but wife still don't want her hero no matter how much items he has. :D

F.

So maybe it's good idea to patch this game this way: collect at least 52 items & go back to wife to bring her some heaven... :D

Topic rating: 2/10 (you could do much better)

949827[/snapback]

Hmm... I tried for something but I wasn't successful. Memory location $061B = number of collected items but wife still don't want her hero no matter how much items he has. :D

F.

949841[/snapback]

Maybe he is not the hero she is waiting for :D

Memory location $061B = number of collected items but wife still don't want her hero no matter how much items he has.

Yes, this byte seems to be used only to maintain the number of collected items on the screen. It is increased, but I didn't find any location where it would be read for comparison with any fixed number of items. Perhaps this would be too easy for cheaters.

Like Fandal, I understood the question. Similarly, I can't say whether it can be completed on the Atari or not.

I responded as I did because I suspected that there might have been a gameplay issue, as opposed to an Atari-conversion issue.

Anyway, if every post in a topic had to be a direct answer to the original poster's question, these fora would become dull places very quickly.

I'll play it for a while on A8, and see if I get anywhere.

949777[/snapback]

Well, I took deeper look at JSW code and it seems A8 version really has 73 items stored in memory locations $5cac - $5cfc. Here is initialization routine:

577B LDX #$00

577D TXA

577E STA $5CAC,X

5781 INX

5782 CPX #$49 ; probably number of items

5784 BCC $577E

5786 RTS

Memory is set to $80 when item is picked. You can try fill all those bytes with $80 and you'll not find any items.

Unfortunately it still isn't the key to Maria's hot bed. May be there's really some bug and game cannot be finished.

F.

Edited by _Fandal_

I do recall playing the game when i still had working 1050's, looking at the programming using omnimon, i seem to remember the collision detection was thru the hardware (and not software coded like some prgrammes) so, it would be qiuet easy to disable the collision detection and see all of the games screens

Well, I took deeper look at JSW code and it seems A8 version really has 73 items stored in memory locations $5cac - $5cfc.

Looks so. From my side I confirmed that the Atari version has 52 rooms for sure. At $3B94 there is a table of word pointers to room definitions. It has 104 bytes (52 entries) and a block of code follows immediately. There are other tables however, which have 63 entries and indicate that 63 rooms were planned. This may mean that the game is simply unfinished.

As for getting into Maria's bed: removing the wall doesn't help either :D

As for seeing all screens: the number of the initial room is stored at $3922, and the current room number is at $3C98. I already have a list of rooms ordered by the internally assigned numbers.

Edited by drac030

And when should something happen? When Willy aproaches Maria or immedietly when he has done what is neccesary and enters that room with Maria? Or how the end happens on other platforms? Tried to look into code too and found that when in room #$0D (the one with Maria) than you can't move more left than HPOSP $7F (code at $2CA6).

Edited by MaPa

I think that when the mission is completed, Maria should disappear. The code you found shows that the game may be truly unfinishable (and unfinished). When I removed the horizontal position limit, it turned over that Maria kills Willy, when touched.

Changing the Willy's position so that he appears inside the room, and then jumping onto the bed doesn't help much either: nothing happens.

Edited by drac030

I think that when the mission is completed, Maria should disappear. The code you found shows that the game may be truly unfinishable (and unfinished). When I removed the horizontal position limit, it turned over that Maria kills Willy, when touched.

Changing the Willy's position so that he appears inside the room, and then jumping onto the bed doesn't help much either: nothing happens.

950978[/snapback]

willy doesn't actually make it as far as the bed in the original - he passes maria, turn around and runs to the toilet in the first room to throw up - that's possibly why appearing on the bed does nothing.

Edited by sack-c0s