IGNORED

Hiya, I'm a new Lynxer =)

uji

Not sure why but I've caught the lynx fever, symptoms being a strange obsession for collecting the machine and games!

Anyhow, a few weeks ago I was passing my local second hand game shop, and there was a good old lynx in the window. At the time I just thought to myself 'woah' but keeped walking, the other day I phoned up and to my suprise they still had it! Went down there, checked it out and the machine has been very well looked after, almost looks new =) It's bringing back those childhood memories of the early 90's, hoping santa would being me one, but alas I think the prices back then were outside of santas budget =(

Now I've been bidding like crazy for games on ebay, and I've already got myself a copy of lemmings for £27, since I totally love the game and I thought the price was reasonable.

anyhow, I'm so happy I found this place, I've been reading the forums for hours over night, everyone seems very cool.

- uji

ps - I used to have a game called Llamatron on my old STE, has anyone made a sort of homebrew conversion for this? man that'd kick ass =)

pps - another question, since I've not actually held a lynx before now, is the screen supposed to be 'interlaced', and on avarage how is the screen quality for them overall?

Edited by uji

Welcome to Atari Age and to the world of my all time favourite console. I have the pure madness that is Llamatron on the ST and Robotron 2084 on the Lynx and they are probaly my favourite game on both the machines. Lynx Robotron is not as mad as Jeff Minter's ST game but is just as frantic. I think the Lynx screen is great, especially for 1989! Far better than the one on the Lamegear. Lemmings is one of the best titles on the Lynx too. My other recommendations would be:

Platformer: Pacland or Switchblade 2

Shoot em up: Zarlor Mercenary or Xybots

Strategy: Rampart or Dinolympics

Racing: S.T.U.N Runner or Checkered Flag

Beat 'em up: Ninja Gaiden or Double Dragon

Puzzler: Klax or Shanghai

Retro: Super Asteroids/Missile Command or Joust

Sports: Alpine Games or Awesome Golf

Hope this helps you!

Welcome to Atari Age and to the world of my all time favourite console. I have the pure madness that is Llamatron on the ST and Robotron 2084 on the Lynx and they are probaly my favourite game on both the machines. Lynx Robotron is not as mad as Jeff Minter's ST game but is just as frantic. I think the Lynx screen is great, especially for 1989! Far better than the one on the Lamegear. Lemmings is one of the best titles on the Lynx too. My other recommendations would be:

Platformer: Pacland or Switchblade 2

Shoot em up: Zarlor Mercenary or Xybots

Strategy: Rampart or Dinolympics

Racing: S.T.U.N Runner or Checkered Flag

Beat 'em up: Ninja Gaiden or Double Dragon

Puzzler: Klax or Shanghai

Retro: Super Asteroids/Missile Command or Joust

Sports: Alpine Games or Awesome Golf

Hope this helps you!

968516[/snapback]

The list you made is so true, the problem is other than Klax, these games are tuff to find. Also guy, if you like Psygnosis games and hard platformers that will show what the linx was built for, try Shadow Of The Beast. Keep in mind that this game is not for people that don'y Really like platformers as it is extremely dificult.

:thumbsup:

Cool, thanks for all the advice guys! At the moment the games I've managed to get are: paperboy/batman/lemmings/ms pacman/steel talons and, after reading some of the responces, robotron!

Robotron is truely wonderful, just like llamatron =)

I've got blue lightning on its way to me also, which is supposed to be good i think.

man I love this console =)

I love steel talons for its flight simulator style and 3d polygone graphics (very impressive) reminds me of a few flight sims I had for my old ST. Are there any other lynx flight simulators, or any games with 3d polygone style grx?

thanks

- uji

Edited by uji

Hi Uji there is another flight sim on the Lynx called Warbirds and as for games that use polygon style there are quite a few more:

Hard Drivin' - Great conversion of the arcade game.

Blockout - 3D Tetris

Battlezone 2000 - Update of the arcade classic.

Hyperdrome - Update of 7800 classic Ballblazer

S.T.U.N Runner - Mentioned already, but a truely amazing conversion of the arcade game.

XYbots - Another great arcade conversion that is the nearest you will find to a Doom style game on the Lynx.

Yes welcome to our world,you sound like you have the disease.All the mentioned titles are all great but you will find yourself collecting as many titles as you can(even if you don't like them),just because it is a great system to collect for.Congrats on lemmings,i have it too but i hear so many people wanting this game.--Happy Days. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all. I'm not a new user - I had one in the late 80's. It broke, and I gave it to an electrician friend of mine to look at, and I never got it back!

I've just aquired a Lynx II from e-bay and I'm rapidly rebuilding my library (the only game I had left was Chips Challenge, flat with the indentations in the front). I've also just got Lemmings off e-bay for £26!

Anyhoo, my question is - can someone explain this 'Homebrew' thing to me? Where can I aquire these things, are they legit etc etc.

I don't even know how I've managed to post this, since I hardly put the thingdown since I got it!

Hello all. I'm not a new user - I had one in the late 80's. It broke, and I gave it to an electrician friend of mine to look at, and I never got it back!

I've just aquired a Lynx II from e-bay and I'm rapidly rebuilding my library (the only game I had left was Chips Challenge, flat with the indentations in the front). I've also just got Lemmings off e-bay for £26!

Anyhoo, my question is - can someone explain this 'Homebrew' thing to me? Where can I aquire these things, are they legit etc etc.

I don't even know how I've managed to post this, since I hardly put the thingdown since I got it!

976009[/snapback]

Glad to hear you have come back to the greatest handheld ever, and my favourite ever machine. £26 is a great price for Lemmings! I assume you are in the U.K. so if you want to know some good places to get get games i can reccomend a few: telegames.co.uk are good for the hard to get stuff but a bit pricey but will be changing soon (read another thread), Nick at 1632systems.co.uk is the best out there for mail order in Britain, check his site he is also a member here on AA. I am also a seller on e-bay *retroriginals* but don't think I have much Lynx stuff at the moment, have a look! (please :P ) Homebrews are games written by people at home and produced by themselves. they are totally legal and there are some fantastic games out there too such as Pokermania and Alpine Games which is easily the most impressive Lynx games you will ever see. Anyway welcome to Atari Age!

Edited by mr.kizza

Glad to hear you have come back to the greatest handheld ever, and my favourite ever machine. £26 is a great price for Lemmings! I assume you are in the U.K. so if you want to know some good places to get get games i can reccomend a few: telegames.co.uk are good for the hard to get stuff but a bit pricey but will be changing soon (read another thread), Nick at 1632systems.co.uk is the best out there for mail order in Britain, check his site he is also a member here on AA. I am also a seller on e-bay *retroriginals* but don't think I have much Lynx stuff at the moment, have a look! (please  :P ) Homebrews are games written by people at home and produced by themselves. they are totally legal and there are some fantastic games out there too such as Pokermania and Alpine Games which is easily the most impressive Lynx games you will ever see. Anyway welcome to Atari Age!

976017[/snapback]

Thanks Mr. Kizza! I've already got an order in with Nick@1632. Having looked at all the games and sifting through my memory - I think I want Rampage most. I remember having it and what a total laugh it was. But £25 - 30? *Sharp intake of breath* it may have to wait.......

Anyone still got an Amiga500? (hush my dirty mouth on an Atari forum...) I'd really like to play Faery Tale Adventure again. That was hillarious too.