IGNORED

2600 hanging on the wall in a restaurant!

Chris-in-NJ

It's a 4-switch woody, located in the new TGIFriday's on Route 3 in Clifton, NJ. It's got an Asteroids cart in it, and an after-market joystick plugged into the right controller port.

I've often wondered how they get those things to stick on the walls like that...

1014283[/snapback]

I take it you don't have a camera in your cellphone? :(

It's a 4-switch woody, located in the new TGIFriday's on Route 3 in Clifton, NJ. It's got an Asteroids cart in it, and an after-market joystick plugged into the right controller port.

I've often wondered how they get those things to stick on the walls like that...

1014283[/snapback]

The T.G.I. Friday's in Ledgewood, NJ also has an Atari 2600 on one of the walls. It's a "woody" (don't remember if it's a 4-switch or a 6-switch), with a Pac-Man cartridge in the slot, and I believe a standard Atari joystick.

They also have a computer of some sort hanging on another wall, which I think might be a Laser 128 (Apple II compatible computer).

1014283[/snapback]

Long Drywall Screws!!!!!

Believe it or not, there are some people in this world who are capable of living life quite happily without a cellphone!

1014303[/snapback]

Believe it or not, there are some people in this world who live a much happier life by never entering a TGI Friday's.

1014345[/snapback]

A year or two ago, one of their meals came with Cajun fried onion rings, and they were the best onion rings ever. Since then, they don't serve them anymore, so there's no reason for me to go in there ever again. That's one reason not to be happy with them. If they brought back their onion rings, and made the game consoles hanging on the wall playable by patrons, i'd be back there tomorrow!

I feel that's blasphemy. Unless they're fried, they just messed up 2 good Atari systems that could bring lots of joy to someone! Now they'll keep getting the "OH I remember those!" comments!

1014346[/snapback]

Well, maybe if they were low s/n# heavies, but that aside, it's not like there's a shortage or anything yet.

I did something similar a long time ago. I cleaned up the MB from a dead C64 and put an analog clock movement in it & hung it on my wall. :) Hmm, I need to find what I did with that thing . . .

Chain restaurants in general suck. One visit to a quality private establishment cured me of them. TGIF is not the worst, but it's still nothing more than a noisy high-volume insta-diner.

Ya gotta give 'em points for having an Atari though...

hell, after the smoking ban here, two of the three TGIFs in columbus closed down.

1014429[/snapback]

Really? That sucks. I know a guy that owns a bar on the border of Columbus and like Westerville I think, and he's bound by law to make his bar non smoking, while everyone goes to the bars in westerville just a couple blocks down the road which allow smoking.

Just goes to show how crappy these laws are.

And plus, leaving Hound Dogs and The Blue Danube smelling fresh and clean just aint the same anymore.

;)

If they brought back their onion rings, and made the game consoles hanging on the wall playable by patrons, i'd be back there tomorrow!

we gotta place here in town.. sticky rice..

kinda.. highend sushie and sashmi meets Standard diner fare, meets.. urban hipster trash...

right there on the bar feeding into a 32" tv over the liquer... a 4 switch woody with a set of controllers a mess of carts.. free for all to play :)

Chain restaurants in general suck. One visit to a quality private establishment cured me of them. TGIF is not the worst, but it's still nothing more than a noisy high-volume insta-diner.

In areas where there is a concentration of good restaurants, absolutely but when you're in the middle of nowhere South Dakota, a TGIF can be a very welcome sight.

I'm liking the smoking ban in Hennepin County, MN. But I have asthma so that's probably why. :P

1015070[/snapback]

Off topic diversion -- (of course this whole thread has gone off topic :) )

bowser have you been down to DiscLand on 35W and 98th street?

They have a pretty nice selection of Atari and other classic systems. The prices arent that great, but if you're looking for somewhere local besides the thrifts - its a neat place to start.

I bought a NES from a thrift store with 1 game, 1 controller, the power supply and RF modulator. I drove 4 miles up the road, peeled off the thrift store price tag and sold it to DiscLand for $60.00 (in store credit - wouldve been $35 cash)

Anyhow check it out. :)

And we now return you to your regularly scheduled topic...

Has anyone been to the DisneyWorld hotels? One of them is called Pop Century. It is themed with Pop Culture crap from each decade. I looked at the wall and I saw an Atari VCS in a glass case on the wall! It had a bunch of common games all around it, too. Asteroids was there and I think Defender. Memory fails for the rest.

Again - sorry for the topic shift, but we're back on track now, right? :D

Buck

1014283[/snapback]

Instead of hanging them on a wall, they should put them on a shelf with a small-sized TV kept in the front if they're working units. Let some of the customers have an opportunity to play it while they're waiting on a table. :P

Believe it or not, there are some people in this world who are capable of living life quite happily without a cellphone!

1014303[/snapback]

I felt the same way. Until my car broke down in the middle of nowhere, three miles from the closest land line in the middle of February :D

That is too awesome to have a 2600 hanging on the wall.

The only other system ever to deserve that honor is the Dreamcast (with its cult like following).

As for eateries, here in OKC, the privately owned ones are better. There's a Mexican restauraunt at 23rd and MacArthur called the Red Onion, and it's by far the best Mexican food I can find for miles.

There's a locally owned chain steakhouse nearby, too, and it's if not the best, close to the best of the higher priced places.

The places have good food, and they're a conservative atmosphere. Lots of higher profile places have some things that turn me off, or the food just isn't as good. Sure the larger chains are flashier, and I like eating there sometimes, though.

If you ever wander into a restauraunt here in OKC and you see some guy with long hair (no mullet here--it's long all over) playing Pokemon on a clear Gameboy Color, that is probably me!

LOL, what BeerGnome posted about a playable 2600 in the bar is quite cool. I wonder how much fun two people with a .61 BAC could have playing Combat?