IGNORED

I moded an NES controller "combat" runs in turbo!

victorfrost

First of all, I followed this guide:

http://www.geocities.com/TelevisionCity/St...058/2600nes.txt

There is a link to it from here:

http://www.atariage.com/2600/faq/index.htm...stemID=2600#nes

While following this guide I was using "combat" to test the conversion half way through to make sure I wasn't wasting my time. I ended up accidentally cutting the common ground part of the circuit board. :roll: So in the process of fixing this I was experimenting with the game running and the controller pluged in.

All of the sudden my tank speeds of across the playing field at probably 3 times the normal speed!!! As it turns out, when the circuits are crossed like you were simultaniously pushing up, down and right, the tanks moves quickly across the screen making the "putt -putt" noise loudly as well. When up and down are pressed at the same time it moves even faster but is also turning right and hard to control.

Just as cool is using the same up, down, right combination when playing with the jet fighters in the game. Does the jet move faster? Nope, it makes the jet turn an about face!!! If you do this right after shooting, the "rocket" moves with the direction of the ship effectively shooting behind you.

Now here is the thing. Even using a sega genesis or moded nes controller like above, it is impossible to push up, down, and right at the same time. Now you need to do some extra modifications. If you can do the regular nes mod listed above it is easy. You can push right and down or right and up easily enough at the same time but the third circuit (I chose to do up) has to be assigned to one of the unused buttons on the nes controller....... either start select or "b" since "a" is the fire button using the mod above. This is easy. All I did was solder a small jumper from the positive "up" circuit to the positive "b" button circuit. This works since the ground is a common ground. I honestly don't remeber if I had to cut any other circuits to make this work or not. This will be easy enough for all of you out there who do a lot more of this than I do. ]

If you have any questions or comment about this moded mod, post here or email me at victorfrost@hotmail.com

Enjoy the turbo combat!

P.S. If I take a video of what it looks like to see the tank move quickly or the jet turn around, will I be able to post it somewhere on here as proof?

I've seen the tank in combat go extra fast using a starplex asteroids controller. Since it has a seperate button for each direction you can hit 'em all at the same time, or hit the combo that makes the tank go fast. Didn't try it with the jets game though.

Edited by Prodos8