IGNORED

Bubsy - Your opinions

superjudge3

Interesting, for those of us who've never seen what it looks like past stage 1. :)

Strangely, the video sometimes skips backwards, e.g. at 6:33 and 9:11 in the first video.

Oh that! The first one is where I died and then came back in with my next life. The second one is where I finished a level and moved on to the next one. I cut out the pauses between lives and the victory scenes since those were times I had no control over Bubsy, and cut out to fit on youtube better.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I just caught up on this thread and noticed Doctor Clu's "Bubsy 3D" video. Wow. Apparently, they couldn't get the same voice actor, and the one they ended up with sounds nothing like the original.

I remember the voice acting on the Super NES and Jaguar Bubsy games being pretty good. Bubsy sounded sort of like a cross between Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck. The Bubsy 3D voice actor sounds like an irritating little kid.

Wow.

I remember the voice acting on the Super NES and Jaguar Bubsy games being pretty good. Bubsy sounded sort of like a cross between Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck. The Bubsy 3D voice actor sounds like an irritating little kid.

Wow.

Bubsy 3D is a myth. :)

I'm thinking of referring that game as "Bubsy Bobcat the 3rD" :D Or junior... anyway, I don't see how it continues the feel of the games. And I'm trying to get across to people that it was not number 3 in the series.

You have Bubsy (1) (Claws Encounters of the Furried Kind), Bubsy 2 (which had no extended title) and Bubsy (3) Fractured Furry Tails.

I have nearly 150 movies on YouTube and yet my movie on Bubsy 3D gets a comment about every other day. Oh well.

So what do you think of Fractured Furry Tails?

Wow.

I have nearly 150 movies on YouTube and yet my movie on Bubsy 3D gets a comment about every other day. Oh well.

So what do you think of Fractured Furry Tails?

I am one of the few(?) who actually likes Fractured Furry Tails for the Jag. This may be due to the fact that I started out with Bubsy back in the day on the SNES and learned the attacking strategies there before I graduated to the Jag. You know, jump then POUNCE! And make sure you hit the enemies directly on top - don't accidentally land then brush up against them! :-)

So I can see why people would find the Jag version to be pretty unforgiving. It takes a fair bit of practice to learn the maneuvers. Bubsy is not for everyone. :-)

That said, I find the level design in Jag Bubsy to be pretty inconsistent. (I think I posted about this a long time ago, in this very thread even.) Ali Baba levels = SWEET. Underwater levels = bleh. Whereas the SNES started out strong with the village, the carnival, and the western/train levels (I can still hum the music to that one!)

But I'm glad that the Jag got its own version of Bubsy instead of the developers just porting the SNES version. That would've been lame.

I am one of the few(?) who actually likes Fractured Furry Tails for the Jag. This may be due to the fact that I started out with Bubsy back in the day on the SNES and learned the attacking strategies there before I graduated to the Jag. You know, jump then POUNCE! And make sure you hit the enemies directly on top - don't accidentally land then brush up against them! :-)

The few... the proud, the Bubsy fans...

So I can see why people would find the Jag version to be pretty unforgiving. It takes a fair bit of practice to learn the maneuvers. Bubsy is not for everyone. :-)

Is there really any game for everyone?

That said, I find the level design in Jag Bubsy to be pretty inconsistent. (I think I posted about this a long time ago, in this very thread even.) Ali Baba levels = SWEET. Underwater levels = bleh. Whereas the SNES started out strong with the village, the carnival, and the western/train levels (I can still hum the music to that one!)

The SNES (Bubsy 1) was a great game. I think the level design on Jag Bubsy (the third game) was inconsistant due to Mike Belin not being involved with the 2nd or 3rd Bubsy games. Interestingly Mike was involved with the first Bubsy game and Bubsy 3-D. Really when you look at the creation of Jag Bubsy, it was a game done with so much minimal staff from the other Bubsy projects. No voice actor is listed, but instead voice samples were used from the earlier games. Mike was not involved. And yet it was a good game, just not QUITE as charming as the first Bubsy game.

But I'm glad that the Jag got its own version of Bubsy instead of the developers just porting the SNES version. That would've been lame.

This is one of things that is really cool about it. It is a Jaguar original. People who follow Bubsy try to ignore this game happened, but I remind them, hey, just because it only took place on the Jaguar did not mean it did not happen at all. And I have checked the release dates, Jag Bubsy is the true third game in the series.

I think they tried to hint that Bubsy 3D was the third with the "3" in the title. However, not the case.

• 1 month later...
Been practicing my a$$ off at beating the lobster, so tonight I was able to play a game that took Bubsy through a continuous game to level 15. Managed in the end to beat Hansel, didn't quite get Gretel. Just one more goal for me and the Bubster... beating this game with one game (and maybe some honest continues that he picks up along the way) ;)

Final score : 647,834

(Note to self, grab the continues on levels 3,6, and 7. There might be more, but those are the only ones I know of. With this at least I would get another 27 lives). :cool:

More on this maybe in another month, unless we have others that want to tell how things are going for their games of Bubsy. :D

my final score to bubsy : 652 922

--> http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/390/img1009rr4.jpg

:)

• 2 weeks later...
Here is something that I am trying to put to rest...

I have seen "Bubsy Fractured Furry Tales" and "Bubsy Fractured Furry Tails"

Was there possibly two different covers/boxes for this game?

My Bubsy box (and the title screen) says "Tales"...

Anyway, I recently picked up a factory-sealed copy of Bubsy for my Jaguar, and promptly opened it and played it. It immediately struck me as very similar to Zool 2 in terms of how it looked, but the controls, hit detection, and one-hit deaths quickly turned me off the game. After reading through some of your posts about the game, I gained a new perspective on how to play it and so I gave it a second shot. I'm really enjoying it now, and I'm blown away by just how intimidatingly vast the levels are! Thanks for steering me in the right direction!

By the way, I was sure I recognised your username from somewhere else, and it just hit me that it was over at the PlanetDreamcast forums... Nice to see you again :)

Edited by minuS

Here is something that I am trying to put to rest...

I have seen "Bubsy Fractured Furry Tales" and "Bubsy Fractured Furry Tails"

Was there possibly two different covers/boxes for this game?

My Bubsy box (and the title screen) says "Tales"...

Anyway, I recently picked up a factory-sealed copy of Bubsy for my Jaguar, and promptly opened it and played it. It immediately struck me as very similar to Zool 2 in terms of how it looked, but the controls, hit detection, and one-hit deaths quickly turned me off the game. After reading through some of your posts about the game, I gained a new perspective on how to play it and so I gave it a second shot. I'm really enjoying it now, and I'm blown away by just how intimidatingly vast the levels are! Thanks for steering me in the right direction!

By the way, I was sure I recognised your username from somewhere else, and it just hit me that it was over at the PlanetDreamcast forums... Nice to see you again :)

Glad you are liking the game more, that was my goal. Bubsy really is a game that you CAN zip through if you got the right strategy. I still play it on a regular basis.

And yeh I love the Dreamcast, so you'll see me there from time to time. The Dreamcast is amazingly cheap and emulates so much of that Atari platforms and so easy to set up. Get an Atari Jaguar and the Dreamcast and you'll have the whole world of Atari at your fingertips. :)

That is what I once did. The Dreamcast filled in till I was able to get the real thing.

• 5 weeks later...

O M G.... I just found one of the early Bubsy T-Shirts that they used to sell with the first game...

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?a...blogid=234&

Naturally I bought it, but I am just glad to have PICTURES of that. Now you can see them on the link above.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Some exciting developments are happening, thanks to the efforts of people on FreeJag, JagWare, and a few others that I will not forget but wish to remain anonymous. :)

First off, we have been talking to the man that developed the sound engine for Bubsy, Trevor Raynsford:

http://freejag.atari.org/forum/index.php?topic=51.0

And we have some images being shown here of what we are finding as we look into the Bubsy game:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?app=blog&module=display&section=blog&blogid=234

A lot of fun and hopefully we'll eventually know what file does what and where in the Bubsy game, so keep checking this thread and the Bubsy blog here on AtariAge for further Bubsy Bobcat developments. :D

post-4709-125179115924_thumb.gif

Some exciting developments are happening, thanks to the efforts of people on FreeJag, JagWare, and a few others that I will not forget but wish to remain anonymous. :)

First off, we have been talking to the man that developed the sound engine for Bubsy, Trevor Raynsford:

And we have some images being shown here of what we are finding as we look into the Bubsy game:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?app=blog&module=display&section=blog&blogid=234

A lot of fun and hopefully we'll eventually know what file does what and where in the Bubsy game, so keep checking this thread and the Bubsy blog here on AtariAge for further Bubsy Bobcat developments. :D

Hmm I wish I could add something more to the topic as the producer on the Atari side of the Jag version. But the enthusiasm for or against is interesting. My only comment is that I don't remember it being that hard. But I came from test (or a hardcore arcade game background) as did many people at Atari, so I think the difficulty of all the games was pretty ramped up. Also the developer was British and at the time I think the trend there was hard games(psygnosis?), but obviously in retrospect the game had a kiddie theme and should have been tuned better...but we probably had to make Xmas!

One more thing. I am Adam Harvey.

I did purchase these original paintings but I am NOT the artist. The gallery you have linked is a gallery of paintings I bought. Many of them are from different artists.

Gasp... you've revealed your secret identity? :-o

Ok... just wanted to give credit where credit is due.

Ok, so looks like we have a choice of the artist being (looking at the Bubsy Manual) David Severn, Steve Slick Noake, Colin Jackson, or Rick Lodge. Is is at least one of those four? Don't have to tell me which, I will just say it is one of those four. :D

I am pretty sure the artist for the Bubsy Cover was Ken Macklin. He created/designed Bubsy at Accolade. I think they wanted us to use him. I could be wrong as it was a long a$$ time ago, but I know I talked to him about the box art.

Hmm I wish I could add something more to the topic as the producer on the Atari side of the Jag version. But the enthusiasm for or against is interesting. My only comment is that I don't remember it being that hard. But I came from test (or a hardcore arcade game background) as did many people at Atari, so I think the difficulty of all the games was pretty ramped up. Also the developer was British and at the time I think the trend there was hard games(psygnosis?), but obviously in retrospect the game had a kiddie theme and should have been tuned better...but we probably had to make Xmas!

Wow great of you to show. :) Well, for starters, what was it like working on the Bubsy project? How long did it last, what were the people like that you worked with?

It seems that you were trying to at first port Encounters of the Furred Kind (the first Buibsy game) but that the plans changed. Can you give more insight on why they went the direction they did?

As far as Bubsy being hated or loved, I am finding that at least for those that liked the Bubsy games that they think the first game and this game were the best of the series.

(And don't forget to look at the Bubsy fan blog which is mostly dedicated to the Jaguar Bubsy game, but covers Bubsy in general. Probably the best Bubsy resource on the internet.)

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?app=blog&module=display&section=blog&blogid=234&

Edited by doctorclu

Wow great of you to show. :) Well, for starters, what was it like working on the Bubsy project? How long did it last, what were the people like that you worked with?

It seems that you were trying to at first port Encounters of the Furred Kind (the first Buibsy game) but that the plans changed. Can you give more insight on why they went the direction they did?

As far as Bubsy being hated or loved, I am finding that at least for those that liked the Bubsy games that they think the first game and this game were the best of the series.

(And don't forget to look at the Bubsy fan blog which is mostly dedicated to the Jaguar Bubsy game, but covers Bubsy in general. Probably the best Bubsy resource on the internet.)

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?app=blog&module=display&section=blog&blogid=234&

Here is what I can remember off the top of my head.

Atari for whatever reason bought the rights to the Accolade library of games (Bubsy, Brett Hull Hockey, Chas. Barkley, Baseball and probably some others I am forgetting). I was in charge the Bubsy Brett & Barkely. Bubsy was a lot more pleasant a production than Barkly or Brett Hull which were complete f'n nightmares!

I am not sure but we may have been contractually obligated to create new "jag" versions of the games. (either that or we thought it would be better to have original content--I forget). My guess is the developer Imagitec used the original code/art to get started and use asa framework thats why its there.

The game took about 8-10 months to make as I recall. I think it had to be out for xmas so it was probably a Jan-feb to october production cycle. Imagitec did Dino Dudes, Raiden and probably some other Jag & lynx games. They were far better to deal with then other Jag devs (almost all were "low bidders" and about as green as most of the staff at Atari. I think only Rebellion made it through to this generation(and even they were a mega pain at the time).

We thought the fairy tale theme was cute(we were going for a "fractured fairy tale flavor), but in retrospect the game was waaaay tough to anyone that would think a fairy tale with a cartoon cat would be fun to play. The upside is that I go to go to the UK to visit the developers and that was fun!

But like most games that have a hard release date, the tuning and testing tends to be rushed and maybe not all the ideas are fleshed out and executed. And while Bubsy had some name value, he was no Mario or Sonic or even Rayman.

Not sure if there are any ex Jag peeps here...but if anyone wants any more anecdotes on the jag let me know.

Not sure if there are any ex Jag peeps here...but if anyone wants any more anecdotes on the jag let me know.

Ex Jag Peeps? Well we have the fortune of talking to Trevor Raynsford who developed the sound and music engine for Bubsy, and Raiden, and who ported Zool 2. Come join the conversation. :)

As for anecdotes, anything you can remember, but what you had to say has already been great. Yeh the fractured fairy tales was a good angle and I'm really glad that the Jaguar had a unique game with Bubsy. Bubsy and Bubsy 2 can be found on the SNES, Geneis, and Gameboy, and it is fun to say "but the third game is only on the Jaguar". A lot of people have played Bubsy Fractured Furry Tales on emulation, so really thanks to this game a lot of people have come to try the Jaguar that would not have usually.

I've been trying to peek into the Bubsy game and I've really come to appreciate how it was put together and have some questions on how some things worked if you are up for some technical questions (understanding that it has been about 15 years since Bubsy FFT came out.) :)

Here's a fun anecdote, it would be fun to find out how you came up with the idea of some of the more unique villians on Bubsy FFT (or Bubsy 3 as I call it) ;) Can you recall where they got the inspiration for ...

1) the Flamingo that is all punked out with the mohawk (many have liked that.)

2) Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum (the electric yo yo's, the balloons with poison gas... deadly until you come to understand how to beat them.)

3) the egg throwing snake.

4) That pissed off looking rabbit. :) Ok, nothing special on that one, just that the rabbit was a pain in the a$$ when I started playing.

5) The concept behind the Mad Hatter and that tea kettle he drives.

6) Not forgetting the bee... a real pain in the a$$ at first. Much like bull fighting strangely. Almost the blood hounds of this level and parts in the rest of the game.

7)The Chesser Cat... nice and creepy with that deadly saliva when he sticks his tongue out... interesting.

We'll start with the Alice levels for now.

Ex Jag Peeps? Well we have the fortune of talking to Trevor Raynsford who developed the sound and music engine for Bubsy, and Raiden, and who ported Zool 2. Come join the conversation. :)

As for anecdotes, anything you can remember, but what you had to say has already been great. Yeh the fractured fairy tales was a good angle and I'm really glad that the Jaguar had a unique game with Bubsy. Bubsy and Bubsy 2 can be found on the SNES, Geneis, and Gameboy, and it is fun to say "but the third game is only on the Jaguar". A lot of people have played Bubsy Fractured Furry Tales on emulation, so really thanks to this game a lot of people have come to try the Jaguar that would not have usually.

I've been trying to peek into the Bubsy game and I've really come to appreciate how it was put together and have some questions on how some things worked if you are up for some technical questions (understanding that it has been about 15 years since Bubsy FFT came out.) :)

Here's a fun anecdote, it would be fun to find out how you came up with the idea of some of the more unique villians on Bubsy FFT (or Bubsy 3 as I call it) ;) Can you recall where they got the inspiration for ...

2) Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum (the electric yo yo's, the balloons with poison gas... deadly until you come to understand how to beat them.)

4) That pissed off looking rabbit. :) Ok, nothing special on that one, just that the rabbit was a pain in the a$$ when I started playing.

6) Not forgetting the bee... a real pain in the a$$ at first. Much like bull fighting strangely. Almost the blood hounds of this level and parts in the rest of the game.

7)The Chesser Cat... nice and creepy with that deadly saliva when he sticks his tongue out... interesting.

Actually I assume Imagitec came up with most of the creatures and I probably threw my 2 cents in as well. The game was made by slightly post adolescent boys making a game based on fairy tales. I am sure we just took standard fairy tale tropes and edged them up a bit within the bounds that we could.

And because it was made in the UK, the difficulty level was probably needlessly hard. Plus as I recall the control scheme and gameplay of the original Bubsy game were nothing to write home about. I am pretty sure what eve code wise could be pilfered from the original was. I think this was pretty much a 68K based game too, so I suspect maybe the genesis code was cribbed.

But hey it was a long time ago, so i do forget some of the specifics...

• 3 weeks later...

http://freejag.atari....php?topic=51.0

4) That pissed off looking rabbit. :) Ok, nothing special on that one, just that the rabbit was a pain in the a$ when I started playing.

6) Not forgetting the bee... a real pain in the a$ at first. Much like bull fighting strangely. Almost the blood hounds of this level and parts in the rest of the game.

Actually I assume Imagitec came up with most of the creatures and I probably threw my 2 cents in as well. The game was made by slightly post adolescent boys making a game based on fairy tales. I am sure we just took standard fairy tale tropes and edged them up a bit within the bounds that we could.

And because it was made in the UK, the difficulty level was probably needlessly hard. Plus as I recall the control scheme and gameplay of the original Bubsy game were nothing to write home about. I am pretty sure what eve code wise could be pilfered from the original was. I think this was pretty much a 68K based game too, so I suspect maybe the genesis code was cribbed.

Hey that is more than cool. :) Been awesome talking to you since this is like the game that got me hooked on the Jaguar.

Being that source code has been shared here in the past I'm going to share what source we have come up with Bubsy so far. Has been really interesting to look at! :) Maybe before too long we can figure out the hit detection and controls and make an improved game of it.

Source.zip

• 1 month later...

You know, can't believe I didn't think to ask this sooner... why was Bubsy's exclaimation point yellow on the Jaguar version, and red in the rest of the Bubsy series?

You know the crazy thing is that I never ended up getting Bubsy like I was supposed to? The Ebay deal fell through and I never got it. I have the chance to get it brand new for $15 but I don't want to because I hear that it only takes one hit to kill Bubsy! If only they would have put in a health meter like in other games I might buy it. That's seriously the only reason I'm shying away from buying it. I'm afraid I won't have any fun with it.

Is there a health code or some sort of invincibility cheat out there? I might buy it if there's a health code or something to make it more fair.

• Like 1

I must be weird or something, but I just don't get Bubsy. My brother's a Jaguar fan (me, not so much, but I'm coming around), and I got him Bubsy for Christmas last year. We tried it out, but didn't find it particularly compelling...and went back to Wolfenstein 3-D, Tempest 2000, and Cybermorph. Maybe I'll have to give it another shot.

We did get (and still have, somehow) Bubsy 3D on the Playstation years ago, probably around the time it first came out. I haven't played it probably since then, but I don't remember it being particularly terrible (again, maybe I need to give it another shot!). Yeah, the graphics were arguably dated (I wouldn't say "bad" exactly...just less than the PSX was capable of), but I thought it was cool how the game world looked like the video for "Money For Nothing" by Dire Straits. The gameplay was clunky, though.

• Like 1