IGNORED

Arcade games that should have been on 7800

7800Lover

The Atari 7800 had some great arcade ports and it is nice to see someone out there who is making unofficial versions of Burgertime (under the name Beef Drop) and Qbert.

But what I wonder is why weren't more arcade titles made. Here are some 7800 ports of arcade games I wanted to see:

Frogger- Given many of its ports on other home consoles, I'm surprised this wasn't turned into a 7800 title.

Popeye- Same as with Frogger. 7800 Popeye would have probably looked a lot like the arcade version. :lust:

Battlezone- With the 7800's advanced technology (at least compared to the 2600 and 5200), the programmers could have pulled off a vector or vector-like game.

Kangaroo- It would have looked really good, maybe even better than the 5200 and they could have had the boxing gorilla that snatches the roo's gloves.

Anyone else out there have thoughts on what should have been a 7800 port?

Battlezone- With the 7800's advanced technology (at least compared to the 2600 and 5200), the programmers could have pulled off a vector or vector-like game.

Vector-like. An Atarisoft port for Vectrex would have been nice tho, but Vectrex had one foot out of the race already when Atarisoft began making it's rounds.

I don't think Smurf Rescue was an arcade game.

I'd like to see:

Ataxx

Blue Print

Bosconian

Congo Bongo

Elevator Action

Gorf

Gyruss

I, Robot (a tough one!)

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (I love that game!)

Kangaroo (love every version!)

Make Trax

Marble Madness

Pepper II

Phoenix

RoadBlasters

Shuuz

Spy Hunter

Star Castle

Star Trek

Star Wars

Time Pilot

Track & Field

Warlords

Zaxxon

Of course, Frogger, BurgerTime, & Q*Bert, but they have homebrews now, thank goodness.

I love it when people who obviously don't have the slightest technical clue make bold proclamations about what could have been done. Really, I do.

Look, the 7800's "advanced technology" is pretty much confined to drawing lots of sprites. There are no features in the hardware to accelerate line-drawing. Furthermore, the 7800 only has 4K of RAM (vs the 5200's 16K), which means that a vector port of Battlezone would have to run in low-res mode. It would look like ass.

Pengo

Zookeeper

Gauntlet

Kangaroo

And more!!

OK, I'd love to see someone TRY a vector-ish Battlezone or even I, Robot, just to see if it's even possible.

Actually, I'd love to see a 7800 Battlezone have two modes, "Arcade-style" and "2600-style" (both graphics and gameplay-wise)

Jungle Hunt

Jr. Pac-Man

Baby Pac-Man

Super Pac-Man

Kangaroo

Popeye

Frogger

Crystal Castles

Space Invaders

Pengo

Mr. Do

Mr. Do's Castle

Qbert's Qubes

Bezerk

Elevator Action

Crazy Climber

Stargate

Zaxxon

Super Mario Bros.

Quix

Battlezone

Congo Bongo

Frontline

Vanguard

Phoenix

Moon Patrol

Galaxian

Millipede

Venture

Mouse Trap

Road Runner

Heavy Barrel

Spy Hunter

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles The Arcade Game

Batman The Arcade Game

Dragon's Lair

The Atari 7800 had some great arcade ports and it is nice to see someone out there who is making unofficial versions of Burgertime (under the name Beef Drop) and Qbert.

But what I wonder is why weren't more arcade titles made. Here are some 7800 ports of arcade games I wanted to see:

Frogger- Given many of its ports on other home consoles, I'm surprised this wasn't turned into a 7800 title.

Popeye- Same as with Frogger. 7800 Popeye would have probably looked a lot like the arcade version. :lust:

Kangaroo- It would have looked really good, maybe even better than the 5200 and they could have had the boxing gorilla that snatches the roo's gloves.

Anyone else out there have thoughts on what should have been a 7800 port?

A kangaroo version with the gorilla like in the arcade would be awesome. I wonder why the 5200 left that out. Surely, it could have been included. The gorilla was included on Jungle Hunt for the 5200 version on the vines.