IGNORED

What are the must-have DS games?

Room 34

Now that I have my DS, I need to get some games for it!

So far I only have one DS title... Metroid Prime Hunters, which is GREAT! But I need more. I have about a dozen GBA games that I am playing on it right now, but I want to get more that take full advantage of the DS's features. I plan to get Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow and (because I'm a tool) Metroid Prime Pinball. But I'm not sure what else to get. I've read the reviews and apparently Mario Kart DS is arguably the best game for the system. Not too sure I'm into that but I do like driving games, and most of the more "serious" driving games for the DS look piss-poor, so maybe that's my option.

What else is good?

I'm really tired of the direction Mario has gone, that's for sure, although to be honest even the old classics don't really hold up that well for me anymore. But, that said, I AM still eager to give New Super Mario Bros. a try. (Is that the official title?)

On the budget-ish side, I'd suggest Zoo Keeper, Wario Ware: Touched, and Feel the Magic. Right now, the games that are logging serious time in my DS are Pokemon: Trozei (puzzler) and Space Invaders Revolution. Metriod Pinball is also quite enjoyable too.

Hex.

[ Just keeps going like some amazing zombie-like thing... Man, I hate zombies... ]

am i the only one here who is tired of mario games ?

Nope. The only Mario game I own for the DS is SM DS, because I needed something to play on it when I got it. I've got about zero interest in more Mario titles at this point.

I wish to hell someone would make a good RPG for the DS. And one that doesn't feature little kids, people with giant heads or bishonen.

Must have is a tough call, but definitely give Trauma Center a spin (if you don't have a weak stomach) it's a lot of fun! :) My other favorites so far are Brain Age, AoE, Advance Wars DS, Sims 2 and the Monopoly compilation (get it cheap though, I paid $10 for it). I think I'm also going to pick up Meteos one of these days.

Mario 64 was good, i personally am very excited for the New Mario Bros. If you like vertical shooters Nanostray is great. I agree you just need to try Trauma Center, its great as well... Besides the obvious good ones like Metroid Prime Hunters and Mario Kart and Animal Crossing...id recommend Urban Ashpault, yea it got bad press but screw it , its pretty fun.. reminds me of the old school need for speed games.

Oh yea.. please get Castlevania.. for the love of god , please.

Oh yea.. please get Castlevania.. for the love of god , please.

That's a given. :) I'm in no hurry though; I bought the Double Pack for GBA a month or so ago (back when I still had my SP), and I just finished Harmony of Dissonance (all 3 endings ;) ) and am now working my way through Aria of Sorrow.

..dont get me wrong mario is a classic ...its just that mario has been around for what 20 yrs?? how about creating a Brand new character..and not just rehash characters from the mario world ie the princess, donkey kong, wario..etc when they first came out they were unique ,groundbreaking now its like YAWN a new mario ...do i really want to spend $$$ on something ive basically played before..

whenever a new nintendo system comes out you know that there WILL be a new mario or zelda you can bet money on this.. and the nintendo Wii will be no exception ( what were they smoking when they came up with wii for a name anyway? you know there was a french adult magazine called OUI.. i get a laugh from this)

Edited by darklord1977

i still have fun with mario and as long as the games sell, and they do, theyll keep makin them. As far as making new characters they do, but at least they dont do a Shadow the Hedgehog thing and shove the sonic name in the ground.

You also have to appreciate that the little guy survived its conversion into the 3d world. Sonic and Megaman can be argued that they havent very well.

I wish to hell someone would make a good RPG for the DS. And one that doesn't feature little kids

Don't they all? It seems that all RPGs that come out of Japan nowadays have little kids or teens as the main characters. Japan is so psychotically obsessed with youth, you can't find a grown character in a game hardly anymore. And if they are adults, they're not going to be playable, just NPCs. That, and turn-based combat, are the reasons I can't enjoy the majority of Japanese RPGs. I guess i'll stick with Phantasy Star Online, since it's an action RPG with real grown-ups in the roles. It's one Japanese RPG that I can't break away from. It's like candy-coated heroin. :)

That's what i'd like to see on the DS, a port of either PSO or the upcoming Phantasy Star Universe. Action on the first screen, stats and maps on the second. I don't think the DS could handle it, though.

Edited by SteveW

Well I was at TRU today trying to decide on what my 2nd DS game should be. I was down to Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow, Mario Kart DS, and Super Mario 64 DS.

I was almost to the counter with Castlevania, when I decided to hold off. I'm still in the early stages of playing through Aria of Sorrow, and I know if I got a DS Castlevania title, I'd never play Aria. Plus, it's been convenient for me to just keep the Castlevania Double Pack in the GBA slot at all times, so I might as well wait until I'm done with Aria.

I am interested in Super Mario 64, since I never had an N64, but I've heard the controls are a bit wonky, and I just couldn't do it. Then I decided, OK, Mario Kart DS is the highest reviewed DS game on some sites, and I like racing games (even though the pre-schoolish look of the newer Mario stuff kind of turns me off -- which would've been a factor for SM64 too), so I went with it.

Haven't played it yet, but I'm eager to give it a go!

As far as making new characters they do, but at least they dont do a Shadow the Hedgehog thing and shove the sonic name in the ground.

You also have to appreciate that the little guy survived its conversion into the 3d world. Sonic and Megaman can be argued that they havent very well.

Kind of funny that I was coming in here to recommend Sonic Rush. Your comments suggest you haven't played it.

GameSpot called this game something like "the most important" Sonic title in years (or maybe it was 1Up), because it does several things that the Sonic franchise has sorely needed in the past few years:

a) It returns Sonic to its roots... something the GBA titles did too, but...

b) At the same time, it adds a lot of new and fun features, while...

c) It incorporates 3D elements in ways that are not obtrusive, and...

d) It makes great use of the DS's two screens for vertical elements (it basically separates the play field into two levels)

Bottom line is it feels like more of a natural evolution to the Sonic series than probably Sonic Adventure and certainly than a game like Shadow the Hedgehog. So it's really the game that a lot of people had been waiting for since the days of the Sega Genesis. And it's kind of a shame that not many people seem to have played it.

I actually love Sonic Adventure - it seriously is one of my favorite games ever and I probably spent 100 hours playing it - but I understand a lot of people didn't for some reason (my theory is it's because they are ugly and their mothers dress them funny). But those people should love Sonic Rush if they are ANY kind of Sonic fan. Sonic Rush is to the Sonic franchise today what Sonic 2 was to the Sonic franchise in 1992.

Youll like Mario Kart quite a bit, its the best one since the snes version by far. Castlevania really should be your next pick.. please please buy it already. And i thought the controls were fine for mario 64 ds, granted if you DONT use the touch screen controlls. I actaully liked haveing the precision of the dpad in some stages and made it easier for me to play then the 64 version. Times this will come in handy are when you are near the end of the world and you dont want to fall off, MUCH BETTER!. I agree though, if you want a game to play for a long time/forever though animal crossing will do you no wrong

Played Mario Kart DS on the train on the way home from work today. Lots of fun! I can't wait to try it out some more. Definitely was a good choice!

Whether or not I get Castlevania next probably depends on how soon I finish Aria. I'll probably end up getting either Metroid Prime Pinball or New Super Mario Bros. next.

Played Mario Kart DS on the train on the way home from work today. Lots of fun! I can't wait to try it out some more. Definitely was a good choice!

Whether or not I get Castlevania next probably depends on how soon I finish Aria. I'll probably end up getting either Metroid Prime Pinball or New Super Mario Bros. next.

Curious really, what do you think about that game (aria)? I heard reviews were bad , but no suprise there lol. whats it like?

Well, bear in mind I'm playing Aria right on the heels of having just finished Harmony of Dissonance.

My impression is that Aria is a lot more polished than Harmony. The graphics and sound are much better, and the overal game mechanics seem to make more sense. It is a lot HARDER than Harmony, that's for sure, but Harmony is way too easy.

I'm not extremely well-versed with the Castlevania series, having poked around with the first two on the NES back in the day (never got very far since it was just at friends' houses), and I've never played Symphony of the Night. But so far I have to say I really like both of these games for the GBA a lot.