IGNORED

Bad Trader Alert

FND

This is an issue many of you are already aware of, but since he is unresponsive again, I thought why not post this and make it official.

AA member Yuppicide started the Skull Island game project, collected money from many of us (including me), then collected more money from us - I believe it was about $60 - $80 total for each person - hard to remember as it has a year and a half ago! The project is obviously dead, he even started some refunds when I prodded him last fall (not to me for some reason though), and now is completely MIA.

Is there any recourse through AA, to at least ban him? It's just plain theft at this point, good intentions or not. When he stops responding to email, it's really even more insulting because he still posts on AA, just ignores anything about the money he owes people.

Any suggestions?

A similar story with Rev. Rob here at AA. I'm officially nominating him now for this thread, as it's been 13-14 months since he took preorders (at $57 each) for his Odyssey homebrew, Mentis Cohorts. As of the present, he has yet to deliver on any of these. I'd be content with either the game or the money right now. It's also likely that as soon as I get some personal matters straightened out (family health issues right now), I'll be pressing charges with the Phoenix Police Department...

• 2 months later...

Has anybody had any contact with Curt Vendel?

I've ordered a USB retrofit pcb to use in a Atari Flashback 2 joystick from Legacy Engineering on november/2011.

It never showed up. I've sent many emails but none was replied.

It seems highly irregular to air a grievence with a fellow AAer on the first post, sir.

I've ordered a USB retrofit pcb to use in a Atari Flashback 2 joystick from Legacy Engineering on november/2011.

It seems highly irregular to air a grievence with a fellow AAer on the first post, sir.

I dunno, may very well be legit, he is posting from Brazil. Shit disappears in Brazil all the time.

Every time I check the Legacy website all the USB Joystick and Retro fit boards are sold out

Was never a mention that these items were for a "Limited Time Only" I was looking to get a couple retrofit boards for a project I wanted to do but guess Unless you want a couple miscellaneous

parts or pre order an XM thats it to buy on their website

Hi Guys,

First of all, I know very well who is Mr. Curt and we all must have profund respect for his work.

I was trying to buy a USB joystick (always out of stock unfortunately) when I saw that PCB for retrofiting a FB2 joystick was in stock. I've ordered, after a couple weeks the store send an email saying that the order was sent.

After another couple weeks I receive an email from Mr. Curt saying that the US Postal Service Police had notified him that a whole lot of his orders was stolen. Mr Curt wrote that he would dispatch another batch including my order and would let me know.

However, since then, I never could receive any news neither could have my emails answered.

I now that Brazil may not have the same level of confidence of other countries, but things here are getting better in a very quick pace.

I've received all my internet orders, and have bought even Honda Civic car parts from USA. Moreover, the problem was with the US postal service as per Mr. Curt email.

I only post on this topic, because I didn't saw other place.

Resuming, I just want to contact Mr. Curt, not even trying to compare him with bad traders.

About my first post, ok, I know it sounded bad being my first post this type of asking. But I'm an active retro gamer on Brazil and participate on the Canal3 brazilian discussion list.

Best Regards for all.

Hi Guys,

First of all, I know very well who is Mr. Curt and we all must have profund respect for his work.

I was trying to buy a USB joystick (always out of stock unfortunately) when I saw that PCB for retrofiting a FB2 joystick was in stock. I've ordered, after a couple weeks the store send an email saying that the order was sent.

After another couple weeks I receive an email from Mr. Curt saying that the US Postal Service Police had notified him that a whole lot of his orders was stolen. Mr Curt wrote that he would dispatch another batch including my order and would let me know.

However, since then, I never could receive any news neither could have my emails answered.

I now that Brazil may not have the same level of confidence of other countries, but things here are getting better in a very quick pace.

I've received all my internet orders, and have bought even Honda Civic car parts from USA. Moreover, the problem was with the US postal service as per Mr. Curt email.

I only post on this topic, because I didn't saw other place.

Resuming, I just want to contact Mr. Curt, not even trying to compare him with bad traders.

About my first post, ok, I know it sounded bad being my first post this type of asking. But I'm an active retro gamer on Brazil and participate on the Canal3 brazilian discussion list.

Best Regards for all.

I'm sorry for being quick on the draw, so to speak. After reading your explanation, I can see that you are simply trying to resolve some unfinished business. Please accept my apologies.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

A similar story with Rev. Rob here at AA. I'm officially nominating him now for this thread, as it's been 13-14 months since he took preorders (at $57 each) for his Odyssey homebrew, Mentis Cohorts. As of the present, he has yet to deliver on any of these. I'd be content with either the game or the money right now. It's also likely that as soon as I get some personal matters straightened out (family health issues right now), I'll be pressing charges with the Phoenix Police Department...

Although Rev. Rob delivered on some...many orders came damaged, missing, or in my case...still waiting and never recieved. I strongly encourage anyone to avoid dealing with this person. Terrible communication as well. I have not heard back from him as well as others who have attempted to contact him on facebook. If anyone is friends of him, you may want to let him know that he has several pissed off customers that want the game they paid for...a year and half ago. Epic fail and avoid him at all costs.

Hi, I am also from Canada, and have a ton of experience with shipping to & from the US (used to be a Silver PowerSeller), and I have to say those excuses sound like total BS. If something is sent with the wrong Postal Code, as long as the address is correct, it has always (eventually) arrived in my experience. As well, how would it be possible to smash Atari games, I can't think of a way that a small, hard plastic flat case could be broken in transit....just my opinion after reading this!

• Like 1

Sad to say you story almost sounds like the same BS I got from a member hear that couldnt stay true to their word.

It gets fishy when ppl just go off AA for months at a time right after a deal...or a deal that takes awhile to finalize, stuff gets added, you pay, then they vaporize into the digital world only to be seen by a few "close" friends.

Or when you bad mouth them finally after lets a year of waiting and they pop up trying to defend themself. So you give them another go....they make a pay back payment 1 of 3 or 4 you agree to. Then Whoosh! Gone with the wind.

I feel for ya man...been there...with a much larger amount involved.

Hope it works out for you in the end. I really do. Once burned like I was, its hard to trust anyone "new" or not a "permenant" member anymore.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I have dealt with hundreds of people since I began collecting video games in the early Nineties. 99 % of them are absolutely recommended, nice individuals. But a few are not. Here is my list of bad traders. Of course I will remove any bad trader here instantly as soon as the case is solved.

JAN WIREN aka JAWA, Finland, last known email address wirenj@arcada.fi

He was a regular at #rgvc in the late 90s and early 00s. I “sold” a lot of stuff to him then, mainly Atari 2600 and Jaguar. Promised payment a dozen times and more, but most of the stuff is still unpaid, total unpaid amount: US$ 179,–

BRETT CRICK, Australia, eBay IDs “slidders” and “junkascheapaschips” and "retrogamesunlimited", last known email address bsj3@bigpond.com

I bought a Dick Smith Wizard lot on ebay from him end of 2003 or so, his ebay ID was “slidders”. Sent him payment via mail as he didn't have a PayPal account. He confirmed receipt of payment, he says that he shipped the parcel, but it never showed up on my side. Sent him several email, first he replied and said he would claim on his post office, but since then he never replied. I never got the parcel nor my money back. Loss for me: EUR 88,33.

In late December 2007 I bought a big Dick Smith Wizzard lot on ebay from a seller with the ID “junkascheapaschips”. I paid via PayPal, the name “Brett Crick” sounded familiar with me, but noticed too late that this was the seller that ripped me off a few years earlier. Unfortunately I had him ship the parcel via sea mail, as the air mail shipping fees were very high. Sea shipping can take up to 2 – 3 months from Australie to Europe, so I had no chance to put a claim on PayPal, it was too late. He promised several times to claim on his post office, but nothing happened. Total price including shipping was AU$ 345.52. In August 2008 he refunded me AU$ 50 to show “good will”, but since then nothing happened. Loss for me: AU$ 295.52, that is apprx. 190 Euro.

So total loss for me with this guy: almost 280 Euro!

Note: NEVER let your parcel be shipped via sea mail from Australia!!

Update: He changed his ebay user name to "retrogamesunlimited" now.

SYLVIE GRAPPIN, 39 Rue de l'Europe, Molesme, Bourgogne 21330, France, eBay ID “charmotte21″, last known email address: lacharmotte21@yahoo.fr

I bought a rare Creativision clone console from her on ebay in May 2008. Paid 265 Euro including shipping via bank transfer, but the parcel never showed up. Absolutely no help from her side. I opened a case on ebay, but she only tried to delay things, promised several times that she would claim on the post office, but again, nothing happened. Total amount lost. In the meantime I heard from another ebay buyer who didn't receive his item from her, he contacted Interpol, let's see what happens …

FERNANDO (& ANA) ROSS, Caracas, Miranda 1080, Venezuela, eBay ID "buysellven", last known email address: fdoross@gmail.com

I bought more than 40 games from him, complete in boxes, mainly for Atari 400/800/XL/XE. He said he shipped the games in two parcels. One of them did not show up at all. Not sure if it got lost on the post way or if he never shipped it. The second parcel arrived after three and a half months(!!!), but in a terrible condition, because the box was too flimsy. Many of the games in this box were damaged, some of the boxes completely destroyed.

First he didn't respond to emails. Then he responded and offered refund if I send the damaged games back. I sent him a list of the damaged games and asked for an address to send them back. Since then he didn't respond to about 10 emails I wrote.

Total loss for me: more than US$ 400, making it the highest loss I ever had in 20 years of video game collecting.

I think that in the meantime Fernando Ross doesn't sell on ebay anymore. His feedback rating is private, which also tells a lot.

Update 01-Oct-2012: It seems that more people got ripped off by Fernando Ross. Some other aggrieved person told us that Fernando Ross' active eBay ID is probably "miferpa01". A previous eBay ID was "sftca". Be careful.

Edited by ccc---

• 3 weeks later...

Ok,

Dates from almost a month ago.

I'll keep the name of the ebay seller undisclosed for the moment, as the eBay dispute is still opened ( because... the seller do not reply, i had to communicate by eBay messages with the seller, and I gave up in front of what was the answer I got via messages and not via the claim form)

Issue ?

Bad packaging.

A STE sent from Germany to FR in a long dress box, no bubble wrap, no foam, only a stupid piece of paper wrap around.

You guess what happened, it came here completely destroyed on one side, whereas the external packaging was in very good condition (no marks, bumps, etc...)

Moreover, the picture on the auction was not the one from the real object (pictured a german STE, when the STE was not german), and in overall worst condition than picture, even without the destruction.

Moreover, it was stated 520ST... not STE.

I do by a lot of stuff from Germany (STs, XL/XE, etc...) and I never had this kind of issue. Plus the payment was by bank tranfert only.

I knew I should have sticked to the ebay sellers I know for my ST stuff... pffff

I'm -bleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep- off.

Edited by OBO

Just received a package today from Fernando Marin. Purchased Haunted House 3D and was not happy with the transaction at all. Item was described in "nice condition". The following is what I PM'd the seller:

Fernando,

I just received my package today and I was a quite upset with the condition. I rarely complain, but the box was severely smashed, and you did not put anything inside for padding...just a box that would easily fit 10 of these carts in it. One cart, all by itself with so much room allowed for the game to get bounced around and banged up.

Additionally, the front label is peeling and the seal on the back (over the screw) was broken, which tells me that the game has been opened. The screw was all the way loose and the board inside is rattling around and out of place.

All in all, this is not a very good start to a purchase which cost me almost $100 USD. I haven't even tried the game out yet, but I figured I would reach out, as this is obviously not as described in your listing:

Haunted House 3d Atari 5200 Rare

Loose,
nice condition
75 us$ + shipping

I am honestly at a loss for words. I really would never have guessed that you would ship a "rare" item in a box with no padding, and I can't figure out for the life of me why you would feel the need to open the game, other than to dump the ROM. Please reply with your reasoning, or I will move this to the public feedback threads.

-Ben

Here is the response I got:

it had detailed photos,

bought it that way, works fine

if you're not happy with it return it ,i'll refund you

i can sell it again in minutes

All of the above is completely unacceptable to me, as the listing description was misleading, and the packaging was horrible. It's nice to offer a refund, but I already paid $20 shipping from Argentina...I have no desire to send it back for another $20, just to have him sell it to one of you unsuspecting AA members. Across the board, I suggest you avoid this seller...he has no concern for you, the condition of rare games or this hobby in general...he's just concerned with what's in your wallet.

• Like 6

Just received a package today from Fernando Marin. Purchased Haunted House 3D and was not happy with the transaction at all. Item was described in "nice condition". The following is what I PM'd the seller:

Fernando,

I just received my package today and I was a quite upset with the condition. I rarely complain, but the box was severely smashed, and you did not put anything inside for padding...just a box that would easily fit 10 of these carts in it. One cart, all by itself with so much room allowed for the game to get bounced around and banged up.

Additionally, the front label is peeling and the seal on the back (over the screw) was broken, which tells me that the game has been opened. The screw was all the way loose and the board inside is rattling around and out of place.

All in all, this is not a very good start to a purchase which cost me almost $100 USD. I haven't even tried the game out yet, but I figured I would reach out, as this is obviously not as described in your listing:

Haunted House 3d Atari 5200 Rare

Loose,
nice condition
75 us$ + shipping

I am honestly at a loss for words. I really would never have guessed that you would ship a "rare" item in a box with no padding, and I can't figure out for the life of me why you would feel the need to open the game, other than to dump the ROM. Please reply with your reasoning, or I will move this to the public feedback threads.

-Ben

Here is the response I got:

it had detailed photos,

All of the above is completely unacceptable to me, as the listing description was misleading, and the packaging was horrible. It's nice to offer a refund, but I already paid $20 shipping from Argentina...I have no desire to send it back for another $20, just to have him sell it to one of you unsuspecting AA members. Across the board, I suggest you avoid this seller...he has no concern for you, the condition of rare games or this hobby in general...he's just concerned with what's in your wallet.

Thank you for the heads up Benny.

• Like 1

I can send you pics...look for a PM shortly. Sorry to hear this is going on.

I would have never given this guy my money if I could have gotten it from you directly. I did not own a 5200 when HH 3D was originally released. Unfortunately, this only leaves purchasing from a re-seller. Sounds like he just offloaded a whole bunch of other home-brews just recently....I wonder if he did the same thing with those???

it had detailed photos,

Ouch.. With a response like that, I don't see why anyone would want to do business with him. Thanks for the heads up!

Edited by Austin
  • Like 1

Ouch.. With a response like that, I don't see why anyone would want to do business with him. Thanks for the heads up!

Yea...so much for customer service. I've had friendlier transactions with nigerian bankers! :D Anyhow, here are the pics of the "nice condition" cart:

post-29022-0-29694100-1352335195_thumb.png

post-29022-0-87185100-1352335196_thumb.png

post-29022-0-53943300-1352335198_thumb.png

Last time I checked, what could be considered a "nice condition" game, wouldn't feature the front label peeling off and a security seal broken on the back side of the cart (with the screw out and the PCB floating in the cart case). Shipping in a cardboard box 10 times the size with no padding inside didn't help much either.

BTW...I tightened the screw prior to taking the picture. I hope to test it tonight and even see if it works.

Maybe I should ship it back with just a USPS label stuck to it! :lolblue:

• Like 4

I notice he has yet to respond here. Wonder what he would say ...

Those type of imperfections/flaws need to be described, maybe like "front label peeling off on the side(s)" and "rear security sticker is damaged and the screw will be loose due to my removing the rom" and even "item will be shipped in a large oversized box with no packing material".

• Like 4