IGNORED

Recommended DS Games?

Albert

Now that the DS Lite has hit US stores, I'm considering picking one up. This will be my first DS, so I don't have any games nor have I ever played any DS games. What are everyone's favorite titles? I enjoy platformers, puzzle games, shooters, and RPGs mainly.

Thanks!

..Al

Sounds like we like a lot of the same types of games.

I own 6 DS games and I honestly would recommend all of them:

New Super Mario Bros.

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow

Age of Empires: Age of Kings

Super Mario 64 DS

Mario Kart DS

Metroid Prime Hunters

...in that order.

Of course, it would be worth picking up some GBA games for it as well, if you don't already have a GBA (although I would find it hard to believe that there would be ANY system you didn't own ;) ). For my money the best bets on the GBA are Zelda: Minish Cap, the Castlevania Double Pack, and Metroid Zero Mission.

Edited by Room 34

New Super Mario Bros.

Super Mario 64 DS

Mario Kart DS

Metroid Prime Hunters

...in that order.

I probably will get all of those except Age of Empires. I burned out on Real-Time Strategy games a long time ago. I did stop in a Best Buy yesterday--they had plenty of DS Lite systems, but no Brain Age (wanted to use the coupon for a free copy), and pretty much none of the above titles (in particular I was looking for Super Mario and Metroid, but I didn't see any of the ones you listed).

How genius of Nintendo to release a shiny new version of the DS to help build further interest in the system. :)

..Al

AoE on the DS is turn-based. It's interesting just to see how they adapted it. Works pretty well! It's not my favorite game on the system, but it's a nice change of pace.

I've actually found around here TRU seems like the best place to find DS games, although Best Buy is usually pretty good (depends on which one I go to though). Target's selection is surprisingly limited. (Well, not THAT surprising, I suppose... their selection is USUALLY pretty limited.)

Bottom line: the first game you pick up really should be New Super Mario Bros. You will not be disappointed.

Edited by Room 34

AoE on the DS is turn-based. It's interesting just to see how they adapted it. Works pretty well! It's not my favorite game on the system, but it's a nice change of pace.

Interesting, I may have to check that out.

I've actually found around here TRU seems like the best place to find DS games, although Best Buy is usually pretty good (depends on which one I go to though). Target's selection is surprisingly limited. (Well, not THAT surprising, I suppose... their selection is USUALLY pretty limited.)
There are tons of game stores (and electronics stores) here in Austin. I shouldn't have any problems finding games, but I haven't looked at all beyond the single Best Buy I was at yesterday. Once I take the dive and purchase a DS Lite, then I'll be hunting for those games. :)

Bottom line: the first game you pick up really should be New Super Mario Bros. You will not be disappointed.

Oh yes, I won't buy a DS Lite until I can find super Mario Bros. :)

..Al

The first game I got was Mario Kart. OMG, that game is as addictive as crack... (I guess, since I've never tried crack.) There are just so many options and features, plus the online mode is incredibly cool.

Tetris is very good too, but it's mostly more of the same. The Push and Touch options are cool, but the online is the best part (except when someone kicks the crap out of you.)

Nintendogs is cute for awhile, but it gets boring fast. My wife and I are in the midst of playing Brain Age. It's pretty neat comparing our drawings and stuff.

New Super Mario Bros.

Super Mario 64 DS

Mario Kart DS

Metroid Prime Hunters

...in that order.

I probably will get all of those except Age of Empires. I burned out on Real-Time Strategy games a long time ago. I did stop in a Best Buy yesterday--they had plenty of DS Lite systems, but no Brain Age (wanted to use the coupon for a free copy), and pretty much none of the above titles (in particular I was looking for Super Mario and Metroid, but I didn't see any of the ones you listed).

How genius of Nintendo to release a shiny new version of the DS to help build further interest in the system. :)

..Al

I'll suggest some overlooked titles:

Nanostray its a fun little shooter. Not the best, but fun when you just want to blow shit up for a few mins in the airport.

Polarium you can probably pick this one up for super cheap. Its a pretty fun little puzzle game, and somtimes crazy hard.

Sudoku grid master ....if you like sudoku obviously.

Monopoly / Boggle / Yahtzee / Battleship I love me some boggle so this is a no brainer for me.

And Brain age is pretty fun. I don't own it but a buddy has it. I didn't get to play its version of Sudoku so I would hold off on getting Sudoku Grid Master until I played Brain age if I were you.

-Tim

I'll suggest some overlooked titles:

Nanostray its a fun little shooter. Not the best, but fun when you just want to blow shit up for a few mins in the airport.

Polarium you can probably pick this one up for super cheap. Its a pretty fun little puzzle game, and somtimes crazy hard.

Sudoku grid master ....if you like sudoku obviously.

Monopoly / Boggle / Yahtzee / Battleship I love me some boggle so this is a no brainer for me.

And Brain age is pretty fun. I don't own it but a buddy has it. I didn't get to play its version of Sudoku so I would hold off on getting Sudoku Grid Master until I played Brain age if I were you.

-Tim

Cool recommendations, thanks. I'm not a Sudoku fan, but Boggle and Yahtzee are right up my alley. I'll look for Nanostray and Polarium as well. :)

..Al

Tetris is very good too, but it's mostly more of the same. The Push and Touch options are cool, but the online is the best part (except when someone kicks the crap out of you.)

Nintendogs is cute for awhile, but it gets boring fast. My wife and I are in the midst of playing Brain Age. It's pretty neat comparing our drawings and stuff.

Tetris, yes, I'll probably pick that up, as it's still addicting even after so many years. Brings back memories of playing it on the original Gameboy nearly 20 (*gasp*) years ago. As for Nintendogs, no real interest in that, as I'm not much of a dog person. If they did a Nintencats, I'd look at that, although I guess it would get boring watching your cat eat, sleep, poop, sleep, look out the window at the birds, and sleep. :)

..Al

For "DS" games that rock and are unique, then you especially have to try Trauma Center & maybe Phoenix Wright. They are pure DS. Kirby is uniquely DS too but I kind of found it boring to be quite honest

For must haves: Mario Kart definitely, & Tetris.

Personally I say even though they're similar, to get both Brain Age (which has Sudoku in it by the way), & Big Brain Academy. They are both pure unique "DS" too...

The rest New SMB, Castlevania, Advance Wars, Metroid Pinball, etc. are just gravy :)

I lot of people have already suggested MarioKart DS, and I wholeheartedly agree. It is pretty neat to be sitting there and fire up the wireless connection and play with people from around the world. If you like puzzles, Bust-A-Move DS is well worth having. I have found the Marvel Nemesis: Rise of the Imperfects translated well to the DS format. And of course New Super Mario Bros. is very fine. I would skip the Retro Atari title (although you can typically find this in old game bins for about $5) and get the Space Invaders DS title for some old school action. Nanostray looks beautiful, but I find the controls a little lacking. This week I just picked up Spider-Man 2 (which I played on the PC), King Kong, and Madagascar, but haven't really played around with enough to make a decision about any particular title. I've got about 15 DS titles - including Nintendogs, which I haven't played at all since it is so time/commitment intensive - but I find that I actually have played more GBA games on it not merely because of the nicer screen but moreover because of the stereo speakers.

Now that the DS Lite has hit US stores, I'm considering picking one up. This will be my first DS, so I don't have any games nor have I ever played any DS games. What are everyone's favorite titles? I enjoy platformers, puzzle games, shooters, and RPGs mainly.

Well, let's see...

PLATFORMERS: As was stated by, well, pretty much everyone else who posted in this thread, New Super Mario Bros. is the king of DS platformers. Although a little simplistic- it's based on the original game in the series, and doesn't stray far from those roots- it's still a lot of fun to play, with lots of classic Mario goodness. Super Princess Peach is also a pretty good catch... it's a little too easy for its own good, but those bright, charming graphics will win you over in an instant, and Peach ironically is a lot more powerful than Mario in his latest adventure! Kirby: Canvas Curse isn't too shabby, but you don't have full control over your character, and you'll rip through the game pretty quickly. Don't put this one on the top of your list.

PUZZLE GAMES: I'm sure you already know about Meteos... this wildly original tile-shifting contest is a lot of fun, but Bust-A-Move DS is just as good. The game singlehandedly pulled the Bust-A-Move series out of the gutter it's been in for the past five years. There are no lame-o characters and game-breaking concepts in this one... just classic Bust-A-Move action with charming graphics and a few tweaks to the gameplay that are actually welcome for a change. Don't like the bubble you've been given? Swap it for a different one! Having trouble lining up your shots? Use the DS stylus instead of the control pad... it's a lot more precise, and loads of fun to pull back that virtual rubber band!

SHOOTERS: Well, there's only one choice in this department... Nanostray. It's a German game that tries very hard to pass itself off as Japanese, and let me tell you, it's a convincing imitation. Nanostray is as slickly produced and as vibrant as any Japanese shoot 'em up, but the gameplay isn't up to the standards of Radiant Silvergun or Dodonpachi. You're actively discouraged from using your auxillary weapon and your bombs... if you ever use them, you'll be severely penalized at the end of each stage. Also, the trapazoidal perspective makes it tougher to dodge shots than it would be in a straight overhead shooter. On the plus side, did I mention that the graphics are friggin' incredible in this game? There's an excellent use of cinematography here... you'll dive through asteroids, climb over steep valleys, and squeeze through tight caverns as you play. Each stage is a rollercoaster ride, and that alone is worth the price of admission.

ROLE-PLAYING GAMES: There's not many of these available for the DS... in America at least. One obvious choice is Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time. It's the sequel to Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga on the Game Boy Advance, and plays much the same. However, you control not two, but four characters this time. It's a little confusing, and the levels are ridiculously linear. On the plus side, there's still plenty of great dialogue, and fights are over quickly, a sharp contrast to the first game where you frequently only did one or two hit points of damage per turn. Past that, there's Phoenix Wright, which is a graphic adventure game with limited interaction but brilliant writing, and Advance Wars, a turn-based strategy game that's worth a look even if you're not really a fan of the genre. Stay the heck away from Lunar: Dragon Song! It's not a traditional Lunar game, and boy does it show.

JR

Castlevania is simply outstanding, it's as much a work of art as a game, and the rewards for beating the game are some of the best ever. The new Mario and Metroid games are great too, Mario in particular (though the online multiplayer in Metroid is great fun)

You really should check out Age of Empires too, as it (and Advance Wars DS) are some of the best turn-based strategy I've ever played.

Brain Age is incredibly fun as well.

The DS is just about the best thing to happen to portable gaming since, well, ever. :cool:

Mmmm, Bust-A-Move, I'll definitely have to pick that one up, didn't know there was a DS version. And good to hear that it's truer to the game's roots rather than some of the more recent incarnations. Too bad there aren't many RPGs yet here in the US. Surely there must be some planned? It would seem that RPGs could really take advantage of the DS's two screens.

..Al

The DS is just about the best thing to happen to portable gaming since, well, ever. :cool:

I was really turned off to the DS when it first came out. I felt that the dual-screens and touch screen were gimmicks and that the system would end up with a bunch of odd-ball, niche games as a result. So I ended up getting a PSP instead. And I must say that I haven't used the PSP very much, even though it is quite a capable machine. I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on a DS now, and I'm glad that Nintendo streamlined it a bit (to say nothing of the improved screens) with the DS Lite.

..Al

You can find DS games in the discount bins at TRU and Circuit City fairly regularly, and often TRU will have some special in the paper with sales. I picked up Bust-A-Move and Nanostray in a 2 for $25 deal. CC is where I got Retro Atari for $5. With the Lite coming out, there may be deals here and there so I am checking the store circulars with more frequency. Oh, and if you have one of the Sam Goody's that is going out of business anywhere around you, their DS games are pretty cheap, $8-12 per title (might not be much left at this point).

Oh yes, I won't buy a DS Lite until I can find super Mario Bros. :)
I saw like seven or eight of 'em last night at the BB at 620/183. But I got their last DS and next-to-last Brain Age with my coupon.

What the heck? That's the BB I went to just a few nights ago--they had plenty of DS Lites (at least 10 where I could see them), no Brain Ages and no Super Mario Brothers or I probably would have walked out with all three of those items. Oh well. :(

..Al

i have to recommend feel the magic and wario ware touched. mini games and micro games are best suited for handheld gaming, and these two games are as good as it gets in that department

I disagree. Wario Ware Twisted blows the pants off Wario Ware Touched. Touched was so dissapointing.. But Twisted, now that's a real Wario Ware sequel :)

Oh and if you can recommend GBA games to play on the DS, then Wario Ware Twisted is definitely one of them! :D

Edited by NE146

Oh and if you can recommend GBA games to play on the DS, then Wario Ware Twisted is definitely one of them! :D

That's another, somewhat frightening subject. So... many... GBA games! I've had a few incarnations of the GBA (the original and an SP), but haven't actually played many GBA games. So that's another world to explore someday. :)

..Al