IGNORED

heavy sixer question

JagFan422

after searching i never did find a real definitive answer so i'm sorry if this has been asked a million times but....

What is the difference, VISUALLY from a heavy sixer and a normal sixer. Could someone take a picture side by side??

I have 2 sixers, when i put them side by side, one of them the sides are about 1/8 to 1/4" thicker than the other, but they both weigh relatively the same.

Thanks.

There's definitely a difference visually. I figured that out by looking at the pictures in the hardware guides on this site, actually.

The black edges on the heavy sixer's casing are quite wide -- about a quarter of an inch across. Those edges run the entire width of the console from front to back.

The light sixer doesn't have edges that thick. In fact, if you look face-down at the horizontal ridges that run across the unit, the light sixer's ridges run almost end-to-end; the heavy's ridges have the margin...know what I mean?

they both weigh relatively the same.

The "heavy" sixer is only about half a pound heavier, barely noticeable when comparing them by hand. The extra weight is all in the case bottom - it really is cast as thick as those wide edges. If you take them both apart and compare the heft of just the case bottoms, you'll really notice the difference.

The "heavy" sixer is only about half a pound heavier, barely noticeable when comparing them by hand. The extra weight is all in the case bottom - it really is cast as thick as those wide edges. If you take them both apart and compare the heft of just the case bottoms, you'll really notice the difference.

Thank you!

I thought I had something there...I had always thought that the CITED reason it was heavier was because of the extra metal shielding, but when I took my heavy sixer apart, I thought it was definitely the casing itself that was heavier. Seriously, it ways a freakin' ton!

I had always thought that the CITED reason it was heavier was because of the extra metal shielding, but when I took my heavy sixer apart, I thought it was definitely the casing itself that was heavier. Seriously, it ways a freakin' ton!

I don't know any "official" source that cites the shielding as being the reason for the weight difference, but as you've no doubt noticed, that's incorrect since both "heavy" and "light" sixers use the same style of metal shielding.

I've seen one or two mentions of light sixers having sheet metal shielding instead of the cast aluminum, but none of those that I've ever worked on have had it. Until I see one like that myself, I will consider those few posts as probably being mistaking a 4-switcher for a light sixer.